Corey Booker Wants to Make Marijuana Legal on a Federal Level

lawildcat

My man!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cory-booker-marijuana-legal-federal-level-article-1.3374898

TRENTON, N.J. — New Jersey Democratic Sen. Cory Booker says he’s introducing legislation to legalize marijuana at the federal level.

Booker announced his measure Tuesday in a Facebook Live video.

He says the legislation is needed to because the federal marijuana prohibition unfairly affects poor and minority citizens, who he says are subject to arrest at greater rates than wealthier and white people.

The legislation comes in the face of U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ stiff opposition to the drug. Sessions has said he wants to crack down on the drug even as a growing number of states legalize it.

Eight states and the District of Columbia have legalized marijuana.

In New Jersey the Democratic front-runner for governor, Phil Murphy, supports legalization. Republican Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno says she backs decriminalization.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see it legal in all states before it becomes legal federally because the minute the Feds legalize pot huge corporations will swoop in and monopolize all the profit. As it stands now a bunch of small guys and gals can make a run at it in the individual states where it is legal.

And it is only a matter of time before pot is legal everywhere because nearly every young person I talk to uses and claims all their friends do.

I would like to see it legal in all states before it becomes legal federally because the minute the Feds legalize pot huge corporations will swoop in and monopolize all the profit. As it stands now a bunch of small guys and gals can make a run at it in the individual states where it is legal.

And it is only a matter of time before pot is legal everywhere because nearly every young person I talk to uses and claims all their friends do.

That's what I really like about what has gone on to this point.

I don't smoke it but have tried it a couple of times in my younger years. I didn't like it because those times I did do it I always had panic attacks. It felt like I couldn't breathe and led to the panic. So my choice for fun was always cold beer, which I no longer indulge in.

But with that said I don't have a problem with it being legalized. It's like my cousin once told me, I'd rather be in a packed bar room with a bunch high on pot than drunk on alcohol. Pot smokers generally are too busy laughing than causing potential trouble, unlike what alcohol does to some people.

Mr. Booker is preparing his run for the Presidency in three years...that's what this is about. Just a way to draw lines between people on a national level.

FWIW I don't care if it is or isn't. I think Medicinal uses for Marijuana should be legal...smoking for pleasure I'm not so sure about. I'd really have to look at it closer.

I agree on the states and the small guys and gals making it.

My only problem is KY will be always be number 49 or 50 to legalize it.

There people on both sides that support this. I'd like to see Booker reach across the aisle and make this happen.

The tax revenue combined with the amount of money saved on incarceration and enforcement will be massive.