Corey Booker Wants to Make Marijuana Legal on a Federal Level

lawildcat

Some of you are talking about what you smoked "Back in the day." Today's weed by most accounts has much more THC as what would have been bouncing around back in your college days. An Article on WebMD states that "The amount of THC in marijuana has gone up in recent years. Most leaves used to contain between 1% and 4% THC. Now most have closer to 7%."

I accounted for that in my post. Colorado (Cough!) :D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you here that support legalization of pot how about joining the discussion about the stupid pseudoephedrine laws. Surely if you think pot should be legalized you oppose those as well.

I threw my 2 cents in on that discussion also. :thumb:

Some of you are talking about what you smoked "Back in the day." Today's weed by most accounts has much more THC as what would have been bouncing around back in your college days. An Article on WebMD states that "The amount of THC in marijuana has gone up in recent years. Most leaves used to contain between 1% and 4% THC. Now most have closer to 7%."

JD, I lived in Humbolt Co., California for 2 years. I was smoking a similar type weed of today's back then. Much more potent than what you could get around here. I still didn't graduate to anything stronger.

The medicinal uses of marijuana and it's derivatives is well documented. Treatments for a variety of illnesses. Acute and chronic.

Trust me, after two major back and two major knee surgeries, I would have much rather "burned one" than take Lortab or Percocet.

I've read one study that did conclude that the number of drivers testing positive for marijuana had increased over the last couple years.

Of course, you can smoke marijuana on June 1st, get in a wreck on June 10th and still test positive for it because it stays in your system for roughly 30 days even though it did not contribute to the accident or impair the driver.

Also, the study noted that marijuana was not regularly tested until recently so there was not much of a baseline to compare to.

I agree with you Colonel.

...."because it stays in your system for roughly 30 days" is exactly why that statistic from any study is invalid when talking about accidents and impairment. Marijuana is not like alcohol, which washes out after a night of indulgence. Just reporting someone tested positive for marijuana after an accident doesn't prove the weed had anything to do with causing the wreck.

I don't smoke marijuana, probably haven't smoked what would add up to 2 joints in my life....back in my younger days. And that was just sitting around with a bunch of friends and someone pass one around the room. I never liked the way it made me feel, which in my case was panic attacks. Felt like I was smothering and my heart would beat faster. As I've already mentioned, beer was my choice, and occasionally liquor. But legalizing it would be okay imo. Heck it's almost legal in my part of the state anyway. Law enforcement are having so much trouble controlling meth, herion, cocaine, and pills that someone smoking pot will barely get their attention. I went to a concert in Corbin a few months back and I could smell it in some parts of the arena and also outside when we were in a long line to get into the building.

As far as a "gateway drug" I'm not sold on that either. It's no more of a gateway drug than alcohol would be. I drank for many years but I've never did drugs in my life with exception of a few I was given after hernia surgery, and I didn't even take the entire bottle of those. I know several people who have smoked pot their entire lives and never knew them to do anything else more than a beer.

JD, I lived in Humbolt Co., California for 2 years. I was smoking a similar type weed of today's back then. Much more potent than what you could get around here. I still didn't graduate to anything stronger.

The medicinal uses of marijuana and it's derivatives is well documented. Treatments for a variety of illnesses. Acute and chronic.

Trust me, after two major back and two major knee surgeries, I would have much rather "burned one" than take Lortab or Percocet.

Folks that want to smoke it already do. It would benefit a lot of people for the above reasons to be able to have access to it if needed for medical reasons. Cannabis oil is dramatically improving the quality of like for many suffering from a slew of ailments.

I have no problem with it being legalized. The tax revenue generated from what I'm hearing in California and Colorado is pretty substantial. Over sight of the revenue generated would be my greatest concern.

A lot of good "could" come from it. Government more times than not finds ways to to stuff their coffers and foul things up.

I hope it becomes legal!

For those of you here that support legalization of pot how about joining the discussion about the stupid pseudoephedrine laws. Surely if you think pot should be legalized you oppose those as well.

I fail to see your logic.

I fail to see your logic.

If you favor decriminalizing pot how can you favor laws that prevent a legal medication from being purchased and used in the way it was intended?

Or maybe you think that pot should be legalized but people will have to show ID to get it and could only purchase so many ounces a month or year. That the records about who is buying pot will be available to LEO without a warrant and too many attempts at a purchase that are blocked will red flag enforcement agencies.

Do you have the numbers for alcohol related incidents in the same time period?

Also, your post addresses nothing about marijuana being placed in the same category as heroin by the Feds.

According to the DEA Drug Scheduling : U.S. Drug Enforcement Website

Not a complete list just commonly known drugs

I Heroin, LSD, Marijuana, Ecstasy

II Vicodin, Cocaine, Methamphetamines, Dilaudid, Demerol, OxyContin,Fentanyl, Adderall, Ritalin

III Tylenol/Codeine, Ketamine, Anabolic Steroids, Testosterone

IV Xanax, Soma, Darvon, Darvocet, Valium, Ativan, Talwin, Ambien, Tramadol

According to the DEA Drug Scheduling : U.S. Drug Enforcement Website

Not a complete list just commonly known drugs

I Heroin, LSD, Marijuana, Ecstasy

II Vicodin, Cocaine, Methamphetamines, Dilaudid, Demerol, OxyContin,Fentanyl, Adderall, Ritalin

III Tylenol/Codeine, Ketamine, Anabolic Steroids, Testosterone

IV Xanax, Soma, Darvon, Darvocet, Valium, Ativan, Talwin, Ambien, Tramadol

What a Joke!

What a Joke!

Exactly. In the forensics class that I taught a couple of years ago, when I was prepping to teach a unit on drugs, I came across that and was for sure it was a misprint. There's no way anyone in their right mind would categorize pot with heroin and LSD, right? Learning that one fact started the ball rolling on research that led me to the opinion that it needs to be decriminalized altogether.

Exactly. In the forensics class that I taught a couple of years ago, when I was prepping to teach a unit on drugs, I came across that and was for sure it was a misprint. There's no way anyone in their right mind would categorize pot with heroin and LSD, right? Learning that one fact started the ball rolling on research that led me to the opinion that it needs to be decriminalized altogether.

Not only that, it makes me wonder who is in charge and what on Earth are they doing?