Corey Booker Wants to Make Marijuana Legal on a Federal Level

lawildcat

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you ingest oxycodone in Hawaii or New Jersey , you know exactly what you are getting , its regulated . When you buy weed from Nevada VS weed from New York it may or may not contain the same amount of active ingredient , plus there are dozens ( 100's??) of types of grass . Seems impossible to have real standards , and oxycodone requires a prescription , weed doesnt . Just too hard to regulate . Opens the door for other drugs as well .

When you ingest oxycodone in Hawaii or New Jersey , you know exactly what you are getting , its regulated . When you buy weed from Nevada VS weed from New York it may or may not contain the same amount of active ingredient , plus there are dozens ( 100's??) of types of grass . Seems impossible to have real standards , and oxycodone requires a prescription , weed doesnt . Just too hard to regulate . Opens the door for other drugs as well .

If that is your position, wouldn't it make MORE sense to legalize it so that the government could control it, inspect it, regulate it and tax it? If it's legal, then you know EXACTLY what you're going to get.

Look at the states that have legalized marijuana. The marijuana is very clearly labeled as such, and it is divided into different categories based on the strand. It is also labeled with the amount & potency, almost identical to alcohol. It would not be hard to regulate at all.

The "it opens doors to other drugs" is a lazy narrative that really has no support. The proposed bill does not make any attempt to legalize heroin, cocaine or any other drugs. This is a marijuana only issue.

Its my life experience and witness that weed use leads to experimentation to other drugs , if thats different than yours , ok. The FDA and DEA are already overwhelmed without adding the weight of being overseers of the weed industry. And I'm glad you educated me on the weed labeling , I wasnt aware they were separating into different potency's .

Its my life experience and witness that weed use leads to experimentation to other drugs , if thats different than yours , ok. The FDA and DEA are already overwhelmed without adding the weight of being overseers of the weed industry. And I'm glad you educated me on the weed labeling , I wasnt aware they were separating into different potency's .

Prescription drugs also can be considered gateway drugs.

Again, the points you outline in your post actually SUPPORT the legalization of marijuana. You're right, the DEA spends BILLIONS of dollars per year prohibiting marijuana. If the federal government decriminalized weed, those assets & resources could be spent elsewhere. On top of being able to reallocate its resources, the government (either on the federal or state level) would dramatically increase their tax base.

This article is a bit outdated but it's the first one I could find quickly that addresses the amount the DEA spends on enforcing anti-marijuana laws. A 2010 study estimated that legalizing marijuana would save about $8.7 BILLION.

Marijuana Prohibition Now Costs The Government $2

If that is your position, wouldn't it make MORE sense to legalize it so that the government could control it, inspect it, regulate it and tax it? If it's legal, then you know EXACTLY what you're going to get.

Look at the states that have legalized marijuana. The marijuana is very clearly labeled as such, and it is divided into different categories based on the strand. It is also labeled with the amount & potency, almost identical to alcohol. It would not be hard to regulate at all.

The "it opens doors to other drugs" is a lazy narrative that really has no support. The proposed bill does not make any attempt to legalize heroin, cocaine or any other drugs. This is a marijuana only issue.

Exactly. It's not like the Walmarts and Walgreens of the world are going to sit idle while the current low life drug dealers make all the profits off legalized weed. It will be regulated just like cigarettes.

This does absolutely nothing to curb the abuse by those that want to abuse prescription narcotics.

Well I wouldnt say " nothing" but I get your point . But thats a entire different discussion. With current reporting systems you do have access to who is abusing and who is prescribing .

Well I wouldnt say " nothing" but I get your point . But thats a entire different discussion. With current reporting systems you do have access to who is abusing and who is prescribing .

The KASPER system in KY is a mere speed bump to these addicts.

Just like the current law passed in HB333, all this does is make it more difficult for law abiding citizens, who don't abuse opioids, and need them, from getting them.

True , but they have physician oversight.

Aren't you from EKy, where a major chunk of the population is now addicted to some form of opiates? (Sure, some have graduated to meth or heroin)

And wasn't a major part of that rising tide of addiction to opiates based on the loose ethics of doctors in those areas taking major kickbacks from pharma salespeople to push highly addictive painkillers on an unsuspecting population? Where's the oversight here?

As many as 14 years ago, a local police administrator in Pike Co. told me that two-thirds of his DUIs were pill-related. I don't recall seeing bars on the windows of liquor stores/carryouts and known weed-sellers back then, but they're on the windows of every pharmacy.

I would like to see it legal in all states before it becomes legal federally because the minute the Feds legalize pot huge corporations will swoop in and monopolize all the profit. As it stands now a bunch of small guys and gals can make a run at it in the individual states where it is legal.

And it is only a matter of time before pot is legal everywhere because nearly every young person I talk to uses and claims all their friends do.

Somewhere along this line you have to be talking to high school athletes, don't they test athletes for illegal drugs?