Ten Good Programs In Bad Situations

10. Covington Catholic- The ole bridesmaid. This one is more about one team than all the other factors. For years CovCath has been near the top of their class, but those darn Bluebirds of Highlands have just put a pox on them. CovCath comes in at the bottom of the list though thanks to some recent flaws in the Highlands' armor.

9. Owensboro Catholic- The Aces' program is at a very high level right now thanks to Coach John Edge. The issue for OCath though is their playoff path. When your classification has three programs playing at respectively the height of their programs' histories over the past 4 or 5 years, it makes it tough. When those three programs all happen to be in your Semi-State and show no signs of slowing? Well that puts you on this list.

8. Lexington Catholic- Continuing our Catholic theme, it is hard to fathom a team making this list who just last year was playing in Bowling Green for a State Title. Truth be told, from an on the field perspective there is nothing wrong with LexCath, but if we are discussing "Bad Situations" it is impossible to ignore the Spring drama off Clays Mill Road centered on the Knights. For a program that has long drawn some of the best talent in Fayette County a black eye like this leaves the door open for lots of uncertainty.

7. St. Xavier- A blueblood program usually has exemption for a list like this, but St. Xavier seems to be at a bit of a tipping point. With Male emerging as a "go to spot" for the public schools in Jefferson County, and Trinity continuing their run of top notch teams, the 6A path to the Championship is beyond difficult and X seems to be losing ground. It also doesn't help that DeSales continued growth continues to spread the Catholic Private talent pool further.

6. Cooper- Sometimes a bad decision makes for a bad situation. When Cooper opted to play up in 6A it seemingly helped them distance themselves from Highlands and opened the door for a more favorable chance of advancing deep in the playoffs. In a perfect example of "the grass isn't always greener" the Jaguars then witnessed Highlands stumble and fall and Class 5A open up as one of the easier tickets to Louisville. Had Cooper remained in 5A there was a strong chance they could have had a legit shot at a State Title, now they must second guess their decision I fight through a much tougher 6A bracket.

5. Christian Academy of Louisville- Much like Owensboro Catholic, it's not about the current state of the CAL program, but more about what they have to deal with en route to the Finals. CAL's issue is a mental hurdle against District Rival DeSales. The Centurions have been arguably the #1 or #2 team in the 2A Regular season for the past three years and do not even have a Semi-Finals game to show for it. As a bonus kicker, even assuming they were to get over the DeSales hump waiting for them in the way of Bowling Green is the unstoppable force known as Mayfield. With the talent CAL has fielded, if they fail to capitalize with a Finals appearance this four year stretch may be one of the bigger wasted opportunities in recent memory.

4. Manual- If you thought St. Xavier had it rough, imagine the plight of Manual! Manual has always been a perennial Top 20 program in the entire State with a talent pool other schools would kill for, the issue though has been the buzzsaw known as Louisville 6A Football. When the Big 3 are often in your Region and District, your chances for a deep playoff run are almost always limited.

3. Paducah Tilghman- Few schools in the State of Kentucky can boast the major D1 talents or even NFL talent that Tilghman has had over the years. A great tradition, a great talent pool, but an absolute dumpster fire of a political mess right now. Tilghman has became a revolving door of coaches in recent years and they begin the 2016 season once again breaking the maiden of a new Head Ball Coach. With a bumper crop of talent once again in the underclassmen ranks it has to be wondered, will it be wasted due to the decisions of the adults?

2. Bell County- One of the elite traditions not only in EKY but in the entire state, now endangered by a coaching change process that would rival any Benny Hill comedy skit. Wayne Mills had kept Bell at a high level but a controversial decision, preceded by controversial actions of the school board, left Bell looking for a new Coach. What followed next was a calamity of rejected offers, swings and misses, and even re-interviewing the man they just fired. In the end they found their man in a retired Coach from Georgia who now has to step into a tough situation. To make matters worse, realignment placed Bell in an Eastern Semi-State featuring a rapidly rising Corbin program and the current Kings of 3A Belfry.

1. Warren Central- Whereas a bit of comedy could be found in the Bell situation, the Warren Central predicament is just borderline sad. You don't have to go back but a few years to see Warren Central as annually one of the Top 3 or 4 teams in their classification and a team that seemed just a couple TD's away from beating Bowling Green and being the favorite for a State Title. Fast forward and after a revolving door of Head Coaches and the Dragons program is rumored to be on the verge of struggling to even field a team. Poor decisions in the front office has rendered Warren Central in a tough spot, but to complicate things even worse the new Warren County school at South Warren has emerged as one of the state's rocket rising programs and seem to be draining the talent pool that replenished South Warren. If that isn't bad enough, still consider Bowling Green is at the peak of their program and sit inside the District.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While some of the information is correct about Cooper moving up to 6A there is no truth to the myth that Cooper was "distancing themselves from Highlands". If anyone is remotely familiar with the growth of NKY, and more specifically the growth in Union, one will certainly see that by the next time reclassification comes around Cooper will be firmly entrenched in 6A. Would they have been one of the larger schools in 5A had they stayed? absolutely. Could they have been a favorite to get back to BG in 5A, quite possibly. Is it a challenge for them to make it back to State in 6A, of course, but given the fact that Cooper, since the schools short 8 year existence, was already playing 4 (6A) schools per year anyway it's not totally impossible.

Outside of really bad loss at Bryan Station last year where Cooper could not have played any poorly (and BS certainly had a definite hand in that) 2015 showed they can compete as they were 1pt shy of being a final 4 team in the KY's largest division. No predictions at all, but Cooper will always just fly under the radar and just do what they do.

Good thread but the move had nothing to do with Highlands but I think more about the expected growth which is right around the corner. JMO

I would have thought Mason County would make the list. They barely had enough to field a team last year and the only victory was against a non-sanctioned team from Ohio. Big drop from when they were competing for regional titles.

I would have thought Mason County would make the list. They barely had enough to field a team last year and the only victory was against a non-sanctioned team from Ohio. Big drop from when they were competing for regional titles.

Mason County isn't necessarily a bad situation though wouldn't you say?

Their District and Region is not necessarily an impossible feat.

They lost a Head Coach, but not because they let him go, because he simply moved on.

The talent is always going to be there for Mason County to at least be competitive, right now it is more about what they are not doing rather than a situation that has put them behind the 8 Ball.

If this were "10 Good Programs That Should Be Doing Better" then I think Mason would have been an apt fit based off last year's record.

I think CovCath is in a great situation. Very good young coach and staff fully committed to the young men and the program. Lights a year away, and some real good young talent. Previous coach locked in 2 years of a ridiculously tough schedule before leaving. The Birds will always be an obstacle in the way, but I believe the Colonels are definitely in great hands and on the rise.

This topic makes me think of Ashland.

They're stuck in a district with Johnson Central, a powerhouse program that's not going anywhere anytime soon. Not to mention being in the same region as Scott, a rising program that ended Ashland's season in 2015.

Last year, Ashland had its most talented roster in many, many years. However, they still couldn't get out of the second round of the playoffs. With Highlands and CovCath currently in 5A, now is the Tomcat's best chance in a long time to break through and restore some shine to their proud program. Still seems like an uphill battle, though.

Mason County isn't necessarily a bad situation though wouldn't you say?

Their District and Region is not necessarily an impossible feat.

They lost a Head Coach, but not because they let him go, because he simply moved on.

The talent is always going to be there for Mason County to at least be competitive, right now it is more about what they are not doing rather than a situation that has put them behind the 8 Ball.

If this were "10 Good Programs That Should Be Doing Better" then I think Mason would have been an apt fit based off last year's record.

2004 1-9

2011 2-8

2015 1-9

All 3 seasons/teams had little depth to begin with then had big time injuries.

2005 and beyond, 2012 and beyond were good. Royals will be fine.

I think CovCath is in a great situation. Very good young coach and staff fully committed to the young men and the program. Lights a year away, and some real good young talent. Previous coach locked in 2 years of a ridiculously tough schedule before leaving. The Birds will always be an obstacle in the way, but I believe the Colonels are definitely in great hands and on the rise.

I know the average mass makes one hour seem like two, but how long is a Catholic year???

Not used to seeing Bell on a list like this. Things are not going to turn around anytime soon. Zero Varsity coaches are returning for Bell and so far only 2 assistant coaches on staff neither with Varsity experience. Really sad.

I like the list but I don't think Paducah Tilghman should be on here at all. In their good years, they are in a great position to compete for a state title. Caldwell is on an upswing but their talent runs in cycles. E-Town is back to where they need to be, but Paducah has more athletes than anybody on that side of the state (Lou. Central is up there as well).

Their coach resigned (don't blame him), but I don't consider them in a "bad" situation. Even on their "down" years, they are in a great situation to contend for at least the regional championship every year...

While some of the information is correct about Cooper moving up to 6A there is no truth to the myth that Cooper was "distancing themselves from Highlands". If anyone is remotely familiar with the growth of NKY, and more specifically the growth in Union, one will certainly see that by the next time reclassification comes around Cooper will be firmly entrenched in 6A. Would they have been one of the larger schools in 5A had they stayed? absolutely. Could they have been a favorite to get back to BG in 5A, quite possibly. Is it a challenge for them to make it back to State in 6A, of course, but given the fact that Cooper, since the schools short 8 year existence, was already playing 4 (6A) schools per year anyway it's not totally impossible.

Outside of really bad loss at Bryan Station last year where Cooper could not have played any poorly (and BS certainly had a definite hand in that) 2015 showed they can compete as they were 1pt shy of being a final 4 team in the KY's largest division. No predictions at all, but Cooper will always just fly under the radar and just do what they do.

Good thread but the move had nothing to do with Highlands but I think more about the expected growth which is right around the corner. JMO

Your explanation makes no sense at all.

Again, it makes no sense to play up into a class that has Trinity, Male, and St. Xavier in it. Cooper has zero chance of winning a state championship in 6A for the foreseeable future. Had Cooper stayed in 5A where they belong they had a real shot this past year to at least advance to the finals, maybe more.

If you want to argue with me about it I am just going to make you, Cooper (and Conner) look stupid.

I am willing to let it go if you are. :thumb: