Rank the Coaches - NKY Edition

State Champion Booher not getting much love.

On the other hand, Sullivan seems to be getting a lot of love in the thread despite the resume. This is the coach whose record coming into this season is 7-50, right?

Incorrect.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy. You've done it now madman. I was involved in a big debate on here about Faust last year. I was on your side saying Faust is over rated. I still am. I don't put him in the top 5. But I do think he deserves top 10. I just don't get how some people think he is in the top 2 or 3.

Incorrect.

Thank you Clyde. Sullivan is 18-67 coming into this season.

First thing to remember is that he coaches at St. Henry. Lets be honest any kid that lives in that area and is very good at sports goes to CovCath. QUOTE]

Ouch.

I always hate threads like this. I will say that there is an incredible amount of time all these coaches put into their programs and truthfully can think of very few if any that don't do a great job in their unique situations.

First thing to remember is that he coaches at St. Henry. Lets be honest any kid that lives in that area and is very good at sports goes to CovCath. Year in and year out, Faust gets the most out of not the best talent.

And this is where the debate went the last time on Faust. I disagree that St. Henry lacks for talent. Look at what their teams do in multiple sports. They have winning kids at St. Henry. In addition, he gets fed kids from a wide area that are coming from very good basketball feeder programs. They field multiple teams in the middle schools that are always good. It is a basketball focused school since they have no football team. His talent may not be as good as CCH's, but it isn't far behind. Maybe we should start another thread ranking school's programs from a feeder school and talent view. I guarantee you St. Henry is top 10 in that and maybe top 5.

Again, I think Faust does a very good job. I just don't buy the baloney about lack of talent.

I agree with Faust and Brannen towards the top of the list. I also believe Booher to be at the top as well probably at the very top.

I don't think he's getting as much love from other posters just because he hasn't been around as long as other coaches. (In NKY).

However, his resume may be the best in NKY.

I think one coach that doesn't get enough credit is Tom Dilts at Dayton, while he doesn't have regional titles or district titles on his resume his team always plays tough and seem to play well every year. Add to that many of the issues he may have to deal with in addition to coaching.

How many district and regional championships do each of these coaches have throughout their entire career, and how many years has each one coached. Wins are nice but championships are a better measuring stick.

What do you mean by Championships? District, Region, or State. Some coaches who do great jobs will never be in a situation where they can win a state championship. Some will never be at a school where a regional championship is a possibility. Does that make them a bad coach? Or do they just love their school and want to get the most out of the kids they coach.

Not knocking Faust but seriously, what has his teams done in the last several years to have him ranked in the top 5?

Just read in another thread he has 299 wins. Not sure of recent stats, but pretty good numbers considering he is coaching at a small school.

Just read in another thread he has 299 wins. Not sure of recent stats, but pretty good numbers considering he is coaching at a small school.

They aren't that small either. Bigger than Holy Cross. Bigger than New Cath by about 100 students. Bigger than Lloyd, Newport, etc. Is St. Henry the biggest school playing in the All A in Region 9? Based on the 2010 report, St. Henry has 514 students about evenly split between boys and girls.

I agree with all of these except for Hicks. Not saying that he is a bad coach, but how do you not do more with the talent he had over the past 3+ years (Hodges, Flesch Robinson, Liechty, Lang). Granted, maybe not "superstar" players, but plenty of talent to win much more than they did. I've certainly seen coaches do more with less than what was on that roster. Did they ever even make the 9th region tournament?

I do like Steiner. I think he does a decent job with the talent he recieves over in Kenton County. Tough coach.

1a Faust

1b Sullivan

1c Code

McQuery

Brannen

Carr

Hicks (Conner)

Stiener

Chevelier

Booher

Trame

If we can consider Gallatin County part of Northern Ky then I would have to place Jon Jones very high on the list. He is a winner and his teams consistently compete at the regional level. I think he does the most with what he has year in and year out.

Booher (Holmes) has a state crown-hard to discount him. I think Brannen (NCC) and his staff are as good as anybody in Northern Kentucky. Folks will laugh but Flynn (Highlands) is experienced and has taken several teams from different parts of the state to the Sweet 16. He is the Pitino of the area. (In a good way) Most knowledgeable people will tell you that Faust (St. Henry) gets more out of his teams year in and year out than most anyone. I personally hold McQuery (Boone) in high regard, and a game or two that would have turned out differently and he might top everybody's charts. (Of course, had Texas won Game 7 of the World Series this year, people may have a different opinion of Ron Washington.)

Can't forget about Sullivan at Cooper as I think he is a winner in waiting. Superlative training, and the Jags will be there before too long.

Nell Fookes (Boone) and Ron Dawn (NCC) are awesome too, and for one game I may just take Dawn over the rest.

Edited by History
spelling error

What do you mean by Championships? District, Region, or State. Some coaches who do great jobs will never be in a situation where they can win a state championship. Some will never be at a school where a regional championship is a possibility. Does that make them a bad coach? Or do they just love their school and want to get the most out of the kids they coach.

For smaller schools, there are always 1A championships too. I don't think the better coaches end up staying at non-competitive schools that never have any firepower.