Rank the Coaches - NKY Edition

I agree with all of these except for Hicks. Not saying that he is a bad coach, but how do you not do more with the talent he had over the past 3+ years (Hodges, Flesch Robinson, Liechty, Lang). Granted, maybe not "superstar" players, but plenty of talent to win much more than they did. I've certainly seen coaches do more with less than what was on that roster. Did they ever even make the 9th region tournament?

I think if you look back in the past 10yrs you'd be impressed with Jim Hicks resume. I can remember a few years where he had his team peaking big time at the end. 2005 w/ Broyled and Lafallete?? Upset Top Ranked CovCath in Regionals. Can think of a couple 33rd district years where his teams had very rough regular season but played great in the districts to make regionals. (2007 maybe guard named Avery I believe??) If you want to dig into last years team....from day 1 many people thought pre-season #1 was a bit much for that squad....but really thats just 1yr.

Lets remember...33rd is one of the top districts year in year out to get out of.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you look back in the past 10yrs you'd be impressed with Jim Hicks resume. I can remember a few years where he had his team peaking big time at the end. 2005 w/ Broyled and Lafallete?? Upset Top Ranked CovCath in Regionals. Can think of a couple 33rd district years where his teams had very rough regular season but played great in the districts to make regionals. (2007 maybe guard named Avery I believe??) If you want to dig into last years team....from day 1 many people thought pre-season #1 was a bit much for that squad....but really thats just 1yr.

Lets remember...33rd is one of the top districts year in year out to get out of.

It seems that Conner usually has a losing record. 7 out of 9 losing seasons under Coach Hicks. If records speak for themselves, we are talking 110-135 over 9 years with only one really nice season (04-05).

Edited by StraightShooter

They aren't that small either. Bigger than Holy Cross. Bigger than New Cath by about 100 students. Bigger than Lloyd, Newport, etc. Is St. Henry the biggest school playing in the All A in Region 9? Based on the 2010 report, St. Henry has 514 students about evenly split between boys and girls.

Bigger than Brossart as well and we will take Code.

I didn't have time to explain my list so here it goes for my top 3 coaches and why:

DAVE FAUST-If you ask Coaches in this area or even the state, they will tell you Faust is right near the top. There is a reason his name comes up almost every time a big position in this area opens. Again lets remember many of his years took place in the battlefield of the 33rd. Not just the 33rd of today but the SK, Ryle, Boone, Conner, St Henry days. 299wins, 8 District Titles (4 straight through '07-'10, 2 in 33rd 2 in 34th) 2003 9th Region Championship, 6 All A Regiol Titles, 1 All A State Title. Since his first days at St Henry he schedules the best he can get. He knows the Xs and Os as well as any coach in the area and that includes most local college coaches.

TIM SULLIVAN-I've studied coaching for a long time. And I know this...kids appreciate Coaches that care. You won't find a Coach that cares more about his program and his kids than Coach Tim Sullivan. His passion is unmatached. Gives his kids 110% and they give it right back. People might say "But what has Cooper done?" If you ask that question then you don't get it. He has built a program and in 4yrs has them contending in the 33rd and possibly the region. Sullivan is awesome with the Xs and Os and has some great sets that he runs for his guards and big men. His offseason programs are top notch. Quick story which I find AWESOME! This past week he took his team to Xavier. They watched Xavier practice and talk about it. From what I know he does this every year. I can't imagine how much the kids get out of this. Awesome teaching tool and another reason why kids buy in 100% to what he has to say.

MIKE CODE-Brossart has been the #1 A school in the 10th for a long time. When Mike Code got there he made sure they never missed a beat. His defensive teaching is some of the best in the state. The Mustangs are hard nosed and do it the right way. You won't find a more fundamentally sound group of players in the state year in year out than what you get from Brossart. Code does a great job at mixing and matching his athletic kids with his big kids with his smaller guards. They usually have some talent at Brossart but like Faust....he gets the 100% out of those kids. Like Faust, Brannen, and even Goetz....he's another "A" coach that will schedule anyone anywhere. Not your normal "A" Coach.

1. Booher- state championship

2. Code- force in All A and gets most out of least

3. Faust

4. Carr- 3 straight district championships in a tough one

5. Brannen- a force in the region year after year

6. Steiner- should have won the region with Hester & Hurd

7. McQuery- i personally think he should have atleast 2 regional titles

8 Sullivan

9. Hart- best small team coach, give him talent and would have some banners

10. Ruthsatz- jury still out

best staff: Holmes. Listerman brought with him: winning, toughness, and state experience

I agree with Faust and Brannen towards the top of the list. I also believe Booher to be at the top as well probably at the very top.

I don't think he's getting as much love from other posters just because he hasn't been around as long as other coaches. (In NKY).

However, his resume may be the best in NKY.

I think one coach that doesn't get enough credit is Tom Dilts at Dayton, while he doesn't have regional titles or district titles on his resume his team always plays tough and seem to play well every year. Add to that many of the issues he may have to deal with in addition to coaching.

Dilts should have a conference title two years ago!! Great guy but "new" game has passed him bye. great person and a ton of character!!

Booher (Holmes) has a state crown-hard to discount him. I think Brannen (NCC) and his staff are as good as anybody in Northern Kentucky. Folks will laugh but Flynn (Highlands) is experienced and has taken several teams from different parts of the state to the Sweet 16. He is the Pitino of the area. (In a good way) Most knowledgeable people will tell you that Faust (St. Henry) gets more out of his teams year in and year out than most anyone. I personally hold McQuery (Boone) in high regard, and a game or two that would have turned out differently and he might top everybody's charts. (Of course, had Texas won Game 7 of the World Series this year, people may have a different opinion of Ron Washington.)

Can't forget about Sullivan at Cooper as I think he is a winner in waiting. Superlative training, and the Jags will be there before too long.

Nell Fookes (Boone) and Ron Dawn (NCC) are awesome too, and for one game I may just take Dawn over the rest.

Surprised with all this thoughtful analysis, you didn't include Coach Carr from Scott or Coach Code from Brossart. Both seem to overachieve every year, and have been more than competitive with the top teams in both NKY, the 10th region & the state--No love for the 10th region NKY's?? Personally think McQuery is a tad overrated on here, as he's had a ton of talent come through one of the largest schools in the area, without the big time results. Also agree with Sullivan and the future at Cooper. Another fan of Goetz at Holy Cross, although it's hard to argue the monster transfer hasn't helped this year.

Surprised with all this thoughtful analysis, you didn't include Coach Carr from Scott or Coach Code from Brossart. Both seem to overachieve every year, and have been more than competitive with the top teams in both NKY, the 10th region & the state--No love for the 10th region NKY's?? Personally think McQuery is a tad overrated on here, as he's had a ton of talent come through one of the largest schools in the area, without the big time results. Also agree with Sullivan and the future at Cooper. Another fan of Goetz at Holy Cross, although it's hard to argue the monster transfer hasn't helped this year.

Excellent point Sticker Mann and I hate that those two teams aren't in the 9th. Code can coach with anybody. I love his teams hard nosed, defense first style. I have always enjoyed Coach Carr's clubs too,but have to admit I haven't seen as much of Scott as of late. Good catch again, as those two certainly warrant being mentioned.

Excellent point Sticker Mann and I hate that those two teams aren't in the 9th. Code can coach with anybody. I love his teams hard nosed, defense first style. I have always enjoyed Coach Carr's clubs too,but have to admit I haven't seen as much of Scott as of late. Good catch again, as those two certainly warrant being mentioned.

:thumb::thumb:

1. Booher- state championship

2. Code- force in All A and gets most out of least

3. Faust

4. Carr- 3 straight district championships in a tough one

5. Brannen- a force in the region year after year

6. Steiner- should have won the region with Hester & Hurd

7. McQuery- i personally think he should have atleast 2 regional titles

8 Sullivan

9. Hart- best small team coach, give him talent and would have some banners

10. Ruthsatz- jury still out

best staff: Holmes. Listerman brought with him: winning, toughness, and state experience

Carr actually has 4 district titles in a row in a very tough district.

Solid list but I would put Carr at the top of the list as he gets more out of less than any coach in the area. I wouldn't be surprised to see this years team make a run come tourney time.

My top coaches would be:

Carr

Sullivan

Code

Booher

Faust

Brannen

I am not one that typically includes Gallatin Co in N Ky discussions but if I did then Jones would be in my top 5 without question. He fits my profile of a coach that gets the most out of every team that he coaches

Thanks for the numbers. I knew they weren't impressive, but didn't know the exact w/l record, which when it comes down to it, that along with titles (be it district, region, or state) are what defines a coach. The teams #1 preseason rank may have been a bit high, but he had that team and talent for 4 years and did nothing with them. Also, they may not have been #1, but I believe for a bit that they fell out of the top 10, and they shouldn't have left the top 5 or 6 IMO. Too much talent.

Appreciate the numbers.

It seems that Conner usually has a losing record. 7 out of 9 losing seasons under Coach Hicks. If records speak for themselves, we are talking 110-135 over 9 years with only one really nice season (04-05).

Listerman isn't a Head Coach....you still consider him top 5?

I do, and I think it likely that Coach L adds another head coaching gig to his resume before he calls it quits.

I like what I see so far from Coach Ruthsatz. If the Colonels can claw their way out of the District (which will not be an easy task) and win a game or two at the BOK Arena in his rookie season, he would break in to alot of our top 5 rankings.