Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rank the Coaches - NKY Edition

Featured Replies

You obviously never watched the Silver Grove teams of the mid-2000's, up until Corey Pelle left. Calvary, Villa and many of the D-3 schools had some really good teams then. To say they couldn't compete with the girls' teams, even now is an insult. The Grove had several players in that timeframe that could play for ANYBODY in NKY.

 

Never watched them, but I do know they were good with Corey (one heck of a player) and the McCarter boy. However I said most years, sorry I didn't put with the exception of the Corey Pelle years.

  • Replies 92
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well do not let facts get in the way of a good discussion then. Better do a little research and have some insight before making statements.

 

It's my opinion, like it or not. OPINION 1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

It's my opinion, like it or not. OPINION 1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

 

No doubt, you are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. However, I agree with the others. No way could any girls team beat a boys team.

I agree with all of these except for Hicks. Not saying that he is a bad coach, but how do you not do more with the talent he had over the past 3+ years (Hodges, Flesch Robinson, Liechty, Lang). Granted, maybe not "superstar" players, but plenty of talent to win much more than they did. I've certainly seen coaches do more with less than what was on that roster. Did they ever even make the 9th region tournament?

 

To be fair, I don't believe any of the players from those years went on to play at the next level. Maybe the talent was a tad overrated.

Ok, so now we go by record to see if a coach is good or not. St. Henry has also been in the Regional tourney these past 4 years and yes, even with a 5-18 record. So I guess Faust should play a weak schedule and then he will get your approval...???

Unfortunately we do. Can think of many coaches, regardless of how good they are, keep their jobs if they dont win.

Coaches in the area who deserve being mentioned: Carr, Code, Faust, Sullivan...The best basketball minds are at the jv level in Mcfarland and Blevins

I am not a believer in Gallatin Co. being in NKY but Jones is one of the best I've ever seen. Year in and Year out with far less talent he beats my team on a consistent basis and a lot of the other big boys (Ryle, Simon Kenton) convincingly this year. If this man ever gets the talent some of the other schools get watch out.

I am not a believer in Gallatin Co. being in NKY but Jones is one of the best I've ever seen. Year in and Year out with far less talent he beats my team on a consistent basis and a lot of the other big boys (Ryle, Simon Kenton) convincingly this year. If this man ever gets the talent some of the other schools get watch out.

 

Gallatin has more talent than Ryle or SK this year. Jones is a good coach, no doubt, but there has been a fair amount of talent in Warsaw.

Strange that coaches like Faust & Hicks' are called into question because of their overall record but most give Sullivan a pass.

Strange that coaches like Faust & Hicks' are called into question because of their overall record but most give Sullivan a pass.

 

Couldn't agree more!

I think Brad Carr is the best coach in NKY.

 

Also IMO, Aric Russel may be the most underrated coach in NKY.

Aric Russell is definitely a class act!!!

Would love to see some kind of formula....where you factor in an impressive schedule with wins with how much did EACH kid play. Not talking about the one or two JV players who are asked to sit the varsity bench and play a couple token minutes. I'm talking about the players who play varsity only, esp. the juniors and seniors.

Bottom line---very few players are going to make it to the next level. These players realize that high school ball is the grand finale of all the grade school, and AAU and middle school ball.

But if you take a coach who figures out a way to make each and every player an integral part of the team, and each player has some solid minutes on the hardwood, and the team can still have bragging rights for a nice chunk of wins....priceless.

I agree with all of these except for Hicks. Not saying that he is a bad coach, but how do you not do more with the talent he had over the past 3+ years (Hodges, Flesch Robinson, Liechty, Lang). Granted, maybe not "superstar" players, but plenty of talent to win much more than they did. I've certainly seen coaches do more with less than what was on that roster. Did they ever even make the 9th region tournament?

 

To be fair, I don't believe any of the players from those years went on to play at the next level. Maybe the talent was a tad overrated.

 

With the exception of Liechty (because I do not know for sure) all of the above players could have played college ball at some level. I know for a fact that each of them turned down opportunities to play. Whether it was the school, the distance, the financial obligation, or the level of play the opportunity and talent were both there.

Strange that coaches like Faust & Hicks' are called into question because of their overall record but most give Sullivan a pass.

 

I consider Sullivan a good friend and I don't think he would argue with that.

 

I personally believe he's the best up here but I'm biased. The problem is how do we rank them? I've seen a lot of names on here and they all are good IMO. I would want my kids to play for 4 current coaches (Sully, Goetz, Faust or Trame) if they were lucky enough to play high school basketball. I would put that first on my list of ranking coaches way ahead of win/loss record.

The problem is how do we rank them? I've seen a lot of names on here and they all are good IMO. I would want my kids to play for 4 current coaches (Sully, Goetz, Faust or Trame) if they were lucky enough to play high school basketball. I would put that first on my list of ranking coaches way ahead of win/loss record.

 

I think SSC nailed it. Its shouldn't be who are the top coaches in NKY....it should be... "WHAT COACHES WOULD YOU WANT YOUR KID TO PLAY FOR?"

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.