Rank the Coaches - NKY Edition

I think this is such a tough sell at the high school level. Too many variables including size of school, talent level you get year in and year out, etc. I think you need to be able to see more than wins and loses.

For my money Mike Code is the coach I think could go to any program and have an immediate impact on the quality of play at that school, regardless if it was a Boone County or a Calvary. Therefore I think he is the best in the area.

Coach Faust is one of the better in game coaches according to other coaches so he needs to rank near the top.

Looking at small school coaches I think you need to look at who maximizes talent and does "more with less." In that regard I know it is on the outskirts but Jon Jones at Gallatin has been knocking off the big boys for years and has built one heck of a program.

Two up and coming coaches that while I am going off hearsay that are trying hard to build programs are Jim Hicks at Bellevue and Mike Walls at Silver Grove. I saw our team play Silver Grove earlier in the year and I know in talking to some of their parents they are starting no seniors and maybe only one junior. I think they have 2 8th graders and at least three freshmen playing varsity. Bellevue I have not seen but have been told that they are becoming a much better team under the first year coach and that they are very young as well.

I am hoping in the near future that our coach Aric Russell gets our program going in the direction that I think he can. He may be at this point very underrated even after winning a regional title.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is such a tough sell at the high school level. Too many variables including size of school, talent level you get year in and year out, etc. I think you need to be able to see more than wins and loses.

For my money Mike Code is the coach I think could go to any program and have an immediate impact on the quality of play at that school, regardless if it was a Boone County or a Calvary. Therefore I think he is the best in the area.

Coach Faust is one of the better in game coaches according to other coaches so he needs to rank near the top.

Looking at small school coaches I think you need to look at who maximizes talent and does "more with less." In that regard I know it is on the outskirts but Jon Jones at Gallatin has been knocking off the big boys for years and has built one heck of a program.

Two up and coming coaches that while I am going off hearsay that are trying hard to build programs are Jim Hicks at Bellevue and Mike Walls at Silver Grove. I saw our team play Silver Grove earlier in the year and I know in talking to some of their parents they are starting no seniors and maybe only one junior. I think they have 2 8th graders and at least three freshmen playing varsity. Bellevue I have not seen but have been told that they are becoming a much better team under the first year coach and that they are very young as well.

I am hoping in the near future that our coach Aric Russell gets our program going in the direction that I think he can. He may be at this point very underrated even after winning a regional title.

I wish these coaches all the best, they have a tough road to hoe. But with all due respect........there are varsity girls teams (Boone, NewCath, ND.....) that could beat these two teams most years. These schools unfortunatly just don't have the athletes these days that would make a coach want to stay and build a program. I think it's a shame because these coaches really put their heart and soul into coaching these young men. Bellevue is like going to an amusement park with it's "coaching carousel" and they will be without Hoffman after this season and he is all they got. Are there anymore Pelle's going to the Grove? These schools will always have that one or two excellent players that have the skills but then it drops from there. I know some are not going to like what I have said but it's my non PC look at it.

OK. I am not bashing Faust. Like I said, I do think he is one of the top 10 coaches in N. Ky. But his record is under .500 over the past 4 years (52-53) and he did go 5-18 last year. Just sayin' ... top 10, yes. Top 5, no.

Ok, so now we go by record to see if a coach is good or not. St. Henry has also been in the Regional tourney these past 4 years and yes, even with a 5-18 record. So I guess Faust should play a weak schedule and then he will get your approval...???

Ok, so now we go by record to see if a coach is good or not. St. Henry has also been in the Regional tourney these past 4 years and yes, even with a 5-18 record. So I guess Faust should play a weak schedule and then he will get your approval...???

:clap:

Very inaccurate but some people are just looking for a rise.........Any coach of a girls varsity program will tell you they will scrimmage their middle school boys teams and cannot beat them. Seriously come on man.

Not looking to get a rise by any stretch, I'm just not afraid to say what I think no matter how some might take it and I have no problem standing by what I said.

Not looking to get a rise by any stretch, I'm just not afraid to say what I think no matter how some might take it and I have no problem standing by what I said.

Normally I would say we probably need to start a new thread but I think too much controversy and hurt feelings would ensue which is why I stated I'll leave it at that.

IMHO...this is an inaccurate statement and I will leave it at that.

I'm with statman. I've seen the youngsters from these schools. While they obviously struggle against most boys teams they would handle the girls teams.

Sorry that I am not worshipping at the Faust altar. You can't pick and choose the parts of his record you like and ignore the parts you do like. And yes, a coach's record is a big part of determining if a coach is good or not. I think Faust is a very good coach. He is probably around 7th on my top ten list.

I wish these coaches all the best, they have a tough road to hoe. But with all due respect........there are varsity girls teams (Boone, NewCath, ND.....) that could beat these two teams most years. These schools unfortunatly just don't have the athletes these days that would make a coach want to stay and build a program. I think it's a shame because these coaches really put their heart and soul into coaching these young men. Bellevue is like going to an amusement park with it's "coaching carousel" and they will be without Hoffman after this season and he is all they got. Are there anymore Pelle's going to the Grove? These schools will always have that one or two excellent players that have the skills but then it drops from there. I know some are not going to like what I have said but it's my non PC look at it.

You obviously never watched the Silver Grove teams of the mid-2000's, up until Corey Pelle left. Calvary, Villa and many of the D-3 schools had some really good teams then. To say they couldn't compete with the girls' teams, even now is an insult. The Grove had several players in that timeframe that could play for ANYBODY in NKY.