Missouri Law: Teachers Cannot Be "Friends" With Students

Clyde

I was at an educational conference a while back and I was suprised by the number of teacher/school districts that promote some type of social media contact between teachers and individual students. Not Facebook necessarily, but more into blogs and other interactive web sites. If they teach a full schedule most of this has to be done outside of school hours. When do teachers get down time??

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I agree that it is a waste of time and money to legislate this. I have no problem with it being a condition of employment. If teachers want to be interactive with their students after hours, there are better ways than Facebook to do it.

2. I am not a teacher. I have, however seen a lot of the crazy stupid stuff young folks post. If I was a teacher, I would not want the responsibility that comes with knowing what some of these kids post. As a parent, I would be wary of teachers who were my kids friends on Facebook before graduation. After graduation, I think it is a great way for teachers/students to keep in touch.

I use Facebook regularly as a teacher as an educational communication tool. Many students message me questions concerning homework, school activities, etc.
I am ok with teachers "friending" students. The kids pay attention to what is on facebook, so communication that way can be a good thing. I think that the more kids are aware that teachers can see what they are posting, it will help keep their posts clear of profaniity, sexual content, drinking/drug references, etc.

I tell my kids all the time that they need to be cautious on the posts with language, photos, gossip, etc. I have explained that anyone can see it---coaches, teachers, future colleges, etc. What happens on facebook---stays on facebook.

As long as the teachers are using the PAN approach, I am ok with it. (Public--Appropriate--Non-sexual).

Don't see why the law is needed. Waste of time and money.

My perspective exactly. Also there was something that I heard on the radio this morning that the teachers aren't supposed to "friend" former students that have graduated either. That right there should get this tossed out in court. I know the ACLU is going to fight this and I can't blame them.

I am ok with teachers "friending" students. The kids pay attention to what is on facebook, so communication that way can be a good thing. I think that the more kids are aware that teachers can see what they are posting, it will help keep their posts clear of profaniity, sexual content, drinking/drug references, etc.

I tell my kids all the time that they need to be cautious on the posts with language, photos, gossip, etc. I have explained that anyone can see it---coaches, teachers, future colleges, etc. What happens on facebook---stays on facebook.

As long as the teachers are using the PAN approach, I am ok with it. (Public--Appropriate--Non-sexual).

I totally agree. I see nothing wrong with being friends of your students. I provides another means for us to connect to the students. Heck, alot of teachers give their cell number to their students. Is that wrong?

I use Facebook regularly as a teacher as an educational communication tool. Many students message me questions concerning homework, school activities, etc.

Bingo!! The MO law is "knee jerk" "reactionism" at its best. I expect MO to outlaw automobiles for teachers next because teachers may use them to transact an illicit activity with one of his/her students.

Big Brother, take care of us in all endeavors in life.. Oh wait... I meant to say "Big Brother die and rot in hell". My bad........

I've been on the job 1 day and already had friend requests. Had some at Raceland last semester too. I will not add them, I tell them I will when they graduate. Only bad can come from adding students to facebook. I see no positive that can come out the situation.

I've been on the job 1 day and already had friend requests. Had some at Raceland last semester too. I will not add them, I tell them I will when they graduate. Only bad can come from adding students to facebook. I see no positive that can come out the situation.

100% agree. I cant really see how anyone could think differently. If I was a teacher, there is zero chance that I would be friends with any student. Once they graduate then it's whatever, but not until then.

This seems like a positive. :idunno:

My perspective exactly. Also there was something that I heard on the radio this morning that the teachers aren't supposed to "friend" former students that have graduated either. That right there should get this tossed out in court. I know the ACLU is going to fight this and I can't blame them.

That is absurd.