Missouri Law: Teachers Cannot Be "Friends" With Students

Clyde

No FB friends for teachers in MO. Seems like a good idea. Another case of a law being needed because of a few problem teachers.

I know one of my son's teachers has a rule that he will be friend a student until graduation. I think I would adopt the same policy if I was a teacher.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/08/01/in-missouri-teachers-and-students-legally-cant-be-facebook-friends/

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will disagree with you guys. Sadly, it's needed to protect the kids. Even if it's just a few you have to look out for them from those teachers that are problems and take things too far. As I said, it's a small % but it's still necessary.

If it wasn't a law I would have it as a condition of employment if I ran a district. You don't like the rule you go teach somewhere else.

I will disagree with you guys. Sadly, it's needed to protect the kids. Even if it's just a few you have to look out for them from those teachers that are problems and take things too far. As I said, it's a small % but it's still necessary.

If it wasn't a law I would have it as a condition of employment if I ran a district. You don't like the rule you go teach somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure at least one school in Oldham County encourages their teachers not to have Facebook. I think that's a decent idea. But the law itself also seems to leave a lot left open for interpretation.

Also, I doubt this protects even one kid...

I don't think its protecting them from anything. If the teacher wants to get in contact with the student they can do so many other different ways.

I'm pretty sure at least one school in Oldham County encourages their teachers not to have Facebook. I think that's a decent idea. But the law itself also seems to leave a lot left open for interpretation.

Also, I doubt this protects even one kid...

I don't think its protecting them from anything. If the teacher wants to get in contact with the student they can do so many other different ways.

If we all subscribe to the "if they want to they're going to anyway" thinking we would have no rules or laws, correct?

If we all subscribe to the "if they want to they're going to anyway" thinking we would have no rules or laws, correct?
We'd also eliminate all the pointless laws as this one is. Teachers have virtually unlimited access to students, already hold a position of power, etc. so spending time and money on this law serves to help no children. I'm not advocating getting rid of all laws, but I don't see the point in wasting money on "security blanket laws".

Pretty sure there are much better ways to help prevent teachers victimizing their students.