Russell 27 Owensboro Catholic 14

onetoya

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know the Headlines?

Yes, I believe I do. It will be either one of two - and if Maynard picks the one I want him to, you're gonna love it. You Devil fans are going to want to get a few copies and put 'em in a safe place.

Wouldn't it be neat to open a trunk and be able to read the write-up from the '78 team's championship?

Frances

PS - you are correct - I hope no one from Russell ever cries the blues about the ink the Independent gives them again.

You think you have a complaint, try us at Boyd County!

We walked all over Russell, then couldnt hardly win another game... :D

You walked all over Belfry in 2003 also and we went on to win it! I guess all of the 2A teams will be trying to get Boyd on their schedule next year!

All I am going to say right now is congrats to Russell, you all deserved it. I am so angry with our performance on the best stage that it would be best for me to take some time off.

ACESfan -

Your team didn't play as well as they are capable of - it was obvious that they struggled some today. That said, you have to be proud of them - there are a lot of extremely talented kids that never get to walk on that carpet...

Frances

... Could McGlone deserve a better end to his season? The entire Russell coaching staff has to be commended - what a job they did in preparing the kids, especially when you consider that Russell had lost two of their best cover men in the last two weeks...

Tracy Edwards and Steve Hicks (I apologize for not knowing the other coach) were the "eyes in the sky" - and obviously, their eyesight was pretty good. Mike Jones feeding suggestions to Ivan on the sideline. Morris getting the defense ready. What an effort.

Lastly, you simply have to hand it to the kids on the field, because they went out and executed what had to be done.

Frances

Frances: You inadvertently left out Denny Locey, offensive line coach. He was an All-State guard on the 1978 championship team. I know it was a special night for him.

Congratulations to the Russell coaches, players and fans – what a great season!

Graybeard

ACESfan -

Your team didn't play as well as they are capable of - it was obvious that they struggled some today. That said, you have to be proud of them - there are a lot of extremely talented kids that never get to walk on that carpet...

Frances

That is so true! Belfry lost 3 times before they got one! All three of those teams had some great players that made us proud! Enjoy the many wins and fun that you the fans, players, and coaches had this season! It took us 17 years to get back and win one!

Congrats to Coach McGlone & eveyone involved with the Russell football program. Sorry I couldnt be there to enjoy it. Its way past due for Ivan & WELL DESERVED :cool:

I dont know how those poor isolated, Eastern Kentuckians managed to survive against the true football powers in Northern, Central & Western Kentucky ;) Oh yeah, it was basic blocking, tackling & good ol fundamentals :thumb: We never seem to have any awesome players or powerful teams but hopefully folks around the state will start recognizing that our area is becoming stronger & stronger in football. Not just Russell's championship, but also top to bottom through the various classes than we've seen in a long time; from Raceland & Fairview much more a threat in A, Fleming, etc. pressuring the others in AA, successful AAA teams not heard from in years before- Mason, Lawrence & now Johnson Central.

I'm just rambling off the top of my head & dont mean to leave anyone out. My point is that more programs are committed to being good in football and are helping to raise the standard for ALL in our area. I feel Russell's victory is in part a reflection of all the other teams in the area and their development.

Hopefully Russells great run to the championship this year will only serve to inspire all the other area teams to keep progressing towards their shot at the pizza box.

Cheers, Woody Jr

Congrats to Coach McGlone & eveyone involved with the Russell football program. Sorry I couldnt be there to enjoy it. Its way past due for Ivan & WELL DESERVED :cool:

I dont know how those poor isolated, Eastern Kentuckians managed to survive against the true football powers in Northern, Central & Western Kentucky ;) Oh yeah, it was basic blocking, tackling & good ol fundamentals :thumb: We never seem to have any awesome players or powerful teams but hopefully folks around the state will start recognizing that our area is becoming stronger & stronger in football. Not just Russell's championship, but also top to bottom through the various classes than we've seen in a long time; from Raceland & Fairview much more a threat in A, Fleming, etc. pressuring the others in AA, successful AAA teams not heard from in years before- Mason, Lawrence & now Johnson Central.

I'm just rambling off the top of my head & dont mean to leave anyone out. My point is that more programs are committed to being good in football and are helping to raise the standard for ALL in our area. I feel Russell's victory is in part a reflection of all the other teams in the area and their development.

Hopefully Russells great run to the championship this year will only serve to inspire all the other area teams to keep progressing towards their shot at the pizza box.

Cheers, Woody Jr

I sure hope so! I don't think we will ever get the respect of Mike Fields in Eastern KY! Thanks again Russell for keeping Eastern KY on the football map!

Frances: You inadvertently left out Denny Locey, offensive line coach. He was an All-State guard on the 1978 championship team. I know it was a special night for him.

Congratulations to the Russell coaches, players and fans – what a great season!

Graybeard

I did not know the name of Russell's line coach, so I'll apologize for the oversight.

I will say that after the game, I made the comment that, in my opinion, Russell's true strength was in their offensive line - they come off the ball together at the snap count (producing an excellent line surge), but more importantly, they do an incredible job of sustaining their blocks until the whistle blows. It doesn't matter if they are playside or backside, every lineman on that team continues to block until it is whistled dead.

Extremely impressive - and I'm a fanatic about line play...

Side note to Woody - you would have loved to be here tonight - excellent execution by the Devils - and it was football at it's finest. :thumb:

Oddly, I heard a radio announcer (don't know who the guy was) make the statement (late in the game) that Russell "really isn't all that good defensively" - he was saying that OC just wasn't getting the job done. I find this very odd indeed, considering that Russell had 11 players on the field trying to stop OC's offense. Without a doubt, the OC QB had a few misreads tonight, but anyone that was being honest has to give Russell credit for mixing up the defensive calls, having a solid game plan, and executing it.

Frances

Official Game Stats -

Russell rushed for 285 Yrds OC for 159

OC passed for 178 Yrds (2 Ints) Russell for 11 (O Ints)

OC had 20 first downs Russell had 17

OC outgained Russell 337 to 296

Russell ran 66 plays from scrimmage OC ran 58

Russell had the ball for 31:03 minutes OC for 16:57

Russell went for it on fourth down 7 times - and got it 5 times

For Russell -

Kasey Clark 36 carries, 190 yards, 3 TD's

Tommy Brown 14 carries, 63 yards

Chad Edwards 6 carries 23 yards

Nick Lewis 3 carries 9 yards

Brown was 1-6 passing, but it was an 11 yard TD pass ................... to Kasey Clark

For OC -

Kamuf 15 carries for 121 yards, 1 TD

IJames 5 carries for 24 yards

Woodward 5 carries for 28 yards

Woodward was 18 for 32 passing, with 2 Ints. 178 Yrds

Johnson 8 catches for 84 yrds 1 TD

Holland 7 catches for 72 yrds

IJames 2 catches for 15 yrds

Norcia 1 catch for 7 yrds

Defensively, McBride of OC led all tacklers with 12 solos and 12 assists, while Nick Lewis had 9 solos and 1 assist for Russell.

Frances

How was Russell able to slow down the Aces' passing attack? Did the weather play a role at all in the game? Who won the turnover battle?

Congrats to Russell on the championship! It sounds as though they dictated the tempo of the game and proved to be the best in 2A this year. :thumb:

Extremely impressive - and I'm a fanatic about line play...

Side note to Woody - you would have loved to be here tonight - excellent execution by the Devils - and it was football at it's finest. :thumb:

Oddly, I heard a radio announcer (don't know who the guy was) make the statement (late in the game) that Russell "really isn't all that good defensively" - he was saying that OC just wasn't getting the job done. I find this very odd indeed, considering that Russell had 11 players on the field trying to stop OC's offense. Without a doubt, the OC QB had a few misreads tonight, but anyone that was being honest has to give Russell credit for mixing up the defensive calls, having a solid game plan, and executing it.

Frances

Hey Franny

It was definitely eating at me not being able to be there :mad:

Thats the strength of the wing T (& its daddy - the single wing direct snap); it gives the linemen such great blocking angles due to defenders standing & watching or flowing with the action and "assisting" the blocker to take them in A direction. It can be maddening to coach against defensively -especially the younger levels. :creepy:

We should be used to the experts in the more enlightened parts of the state critiquing our teams & making excuses for those we somehow beat - right?

P.S. a sidebar on Russells offense I love to share (if its off topic suspend me - its one of my favorites about Ivan)

When I was a younger youth coach (perhaps I should say inexperienced) my chief adversary in BC was practicing the old single wing before they played us. I knew this guy & Grady Walters as well as Ivan were old Catlettsburg Single Wing era high schoolers together, so as Russell was coming off the practice field one day I went down & asked Ivan & Grady if they could give me a brief lecture on the Single Wing. They were so nice and spent what seemed (to me) to be forever at the chalkboard diagramming their old plays & explaining things to me. I think they enjoyed reliving the old stuff more than I did. I wish I could have filmed it - it was blast for a rookie like me. It also goes to show what great guys Ivan and Grady are to take their time to do that.

Anyhoo, take care

Cheers, Woody Jr