Russell 27 Owensboro Catholic 14

onetoya

How was Russell able to slow down the Aces' passing attack? Did the weather play a role at all in the game? Who won the turnover battle?

Congrats to Russell on the championship! It sounds as though they dictated the tempo of the game and proved to be the best in 2A this year. :thumb:

The only thing that russell had problems with on the passing attack was the little screen pass. It seemed like it was allways open. Other than that Russells DB's did a great job denfending the pass as well as the line putting alot of pressure on the QB, he is very poised in the pocket but had to run for his life alot through the course of the game. Russell won the turnover battle don't quote me, i think they cought two interceptions, and recovered a squib kick (which was executed nicley by the kicker) There was a fumble early in the game i can't remember which way it went. Some may argue, but it didn't seem to me like the weather played much of a factor. The KEY for Russell was #24 is a bowling ball, and their whole line dominated the line of scrimmage most of the game.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell Red Devils are the real deal.

I made the trip from down here in Corbin to see this one.

Glad to see the Public Schools get one.

#24 i believe his name is Clarkson is unreal the good thing is he will be back next year.

That would Be Kasey Clark Hes the man of the hour!!!!!! :dancingpa.

But you have to give credit to that big strong oline of Russell for opening those holes up for Clark to run through!!!!!!!

That would Be Kasey Clark Hes the man of the hour!!!!!! :dancingpa.

But you have to give credit to that big strong oline of Russell for opening those holes up for Clark to run through!!!!!!!

Oh i did read the next post. That is one of the best line groups i have seen in a while as far as excuting assignments to a tee. Even though they were out sized especially in the middle and out quicked on the end, they knew what they had to do and were willing to do what ever it took to get it done. The was a great game to watch.

How was Russell able to slow down the Aces' passing attack? Did the weather play a role at all in the game? Who won the turnover battle?

Congrats to Russell on the championship! It sounds as though they dictated the tempo of the game and proved to be the best in 2A this year. :thumb:

:thumb:

And I'd say the Red Devils' time of possession was what contributed the most to slowing down the Aces' passing attack. ;)

:thumb:

And I'd say the Red Devils' time of possession was what contributed the most to slowing down the Aces' passing attack. ;)

TOP was the key for Russell, 32 to 16 I believe I heard. They controlled the clock and that is what won it for them.

Game was just ugly for the Aces. They just didn't seem ready to play this game. Starting from opening kickoff when Russell recovered the ball. Then we jumped off sided twice on the FG attempt by Russell, and can't pick up the fumble that would have been 6 all this coming in opening series.

2 things that stood out to me was the TD catch by Johnson they called out of bounds (which looked good to me) then they DONT SHOW THE REPLAY OF IT ON THE DANG WIDESCREEN!!! and before half when we were on the 2 and couldn't convert. Another thing I thought hurt our offense was the TV timeouts, with our hurry up offense we couldn't get going without a delay. Nasty cold rain also played a factor.

Hats off to Russell they were the better team today. Aces, thanks for the great memories this year. It was a blast. :thumb:

Since it was made such an issue, I have to say Russell did not appear to wear down as much as the OC posters figured they would.

I would think the extra timeouts, a couple measurements and just the pure adrenaline of the State Championship game all contributed to this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure those guys were exhausted by the time the game was over.

Russell played there butts off today. They executed almost perfectly. They were well prepared and seem to be very well coached. The Aces on the other hand, didn't do too much right today. I tought the Aces were completely unprepared for what Russell was doing. The offensive playcalling left many of us scratching our heads many, many, many times during the game. We did not resemble the same team that had played the previous couple of weeks. As I said before the game OCath is a very poor tackling team. This has been an issue for the past couple of seasons and was exploited by Russells backs on a consistent basis. Its frustrating watching an opponent make winning look so easy and then watch your own team not even be able to make a simple tackle. The Aces did play very hard but it wasn't there day for glory :cry: . I'll miss those seniors very much they served the school proud. Congrats to Russell on your new trophy. :thumb: