Track The NL Central Champion Reds (Week 14)

I haven't heard the results of Reyes MRI yet, but imagine if he is out for one or two months and the Reds had traded for him. That would be horrible. Trade away studs for a rent a player and then he goes down to injury ... ouch. The big knock on Reyes has been he is injury prone. If he goes on the DL for any amount of time, his value in free agency takes a hit. If the injury is serious and/or he recovers as slow as he usually does, I see him staying with the Mets because no one else will be willing to pay the premium to get him away.

So what do the BGP'ers have next on the table at SS? Are we focused on bringing up Cozart?

Cozart is the next SS. It's just a matter of when.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reds have several problems. One of the many is that they almost never score early in the game and give their pitcher a lead. The Reds pitcher is always pitching in a tie or tight game and is never pitching with the lead. That does make a difference. I believe the Reds are one of the worst first inning teams. It would be interesting but can someone tell me what the breakdown is fir runs scored? First three, middle three and third three innings. The third should be last cause if your winning you only get two AB's in that last third.
One interesting stat I just found ... the Reds have had a lead after the first inning 13 times this year. They've trailed after the first inning 28 times.

Hitting Stubbs and Phillips 1-2 in the batting order doesn't exactly help jump-start the offense since neither are real good on-base guys. Hitting Lewis in the leadoff slot against right-handed pitching is a better option.

Edited by westsider

One interesting stat I just found ... the Reds have had a lead after the first inning 13 times this year. They've trailed after the first inning 28 times.

How does that compare to other teams? How does that compare to the Reds of 2010? I agree that it appears the Reds are playing from behind too much and there is no doubt getting the lead in a game is important.

How does that compare to other teams? How does that compare to the Reds of 2010? I agree that it appears the Reds are playing from behind too much and there is no doubt getting the lead in a game is important.
Didn't really look at other teams, but that's one of those stats that should have a .500 outcome among all teams, so 13-28 after the first inning is pretty poor.

Didn't really look at other teams, but that's one of those stats that should have a .500 outcome among all teams, so 13-28 after the first inning is pretty poor.

Here is an article I found with a chart of runs scored by inning for American League teams from early June:

http://www.yankeeanalysts.com/2011/06/how-the-2011-yankees-stack-up-against-the-american-league-in-team-scoring-by-inning-30445

I agree, but there were people a couple weeks ago claiming the offense isn't an issue. Clearly they've scored runs this year. People fail to realize how often they don't score very much though. This team isn't built to do dominate you with their arms. They're built to get quality starts to decent starts and outscore you.

May. The Red score 4 or more 19 out of 29 games. Yet they only win 14 of those games. That's when we were pointing at the pitching staff. They should have been 4-6 games ove .500 in May. Not 1 game under.

June. The Reds score 4 or more in 13 out of 28 games. Yet they again win 14 games. Seems like scoring less or more than 3 on avg. really has nothing to do with the important stat line. Ws and Ls. Maybe we should be looking at stats that have more validity.

Edited by malachicrunch

Hitting Stubbs and Phillips 1-2 in the batting order doesn't exactly help jump-start the offense since neither are real good on-base guys. Hitting Lewis in the leadoff slot against right-handed pitching is a better option.

Reds are 13 out of 16 in runs scored in the first inning:

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp#sectionType=st&playerType=QUALIFIER&statType=hitting&page_type=SortablePlayer&season=2011&season_type=ANY&sportCode='mlb'&league_code='NL'&split=i01&team_id=&active_sw=&game_type='R'&position=&sortOrder='desc'&sortColumn=r&results=&page=1&perPage=50&timeframe=&extended=0&last_x_days=&ts=1309710119437&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Team+hitting

You can look at each inning through that site. Reds are #2 in runs scored in the ninth inning.

On the flip side, the Reds pitching is 3rd worst in Runs Allowed in the 1st inning. Not a good mix if you want to get the lead in a game. :lol: