Track The NL Central Champion Reds (Week 14)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One final point to make about Cozart ... I did a little research and found another ballyhooed infield prospect that had a similar uptick in production in his second year at the Triple-A level at a similar age.

Cozart's numbers in Triple-A in the calendar year that he turned 25 ... 533 AB, .255-17-67, 40 BB, 107 SO

Cozart's current numbers at age 26, pro-rated for the entire season ... 516 AB, .319-12-53, 33 BB, 79 SO

Player X's numbers in Triple-A by the time he turned 25 ... 487 AB, .246-16-59, 38 BB, 139 SO

Player X's Triple-A numbers at age 26, roughly pro-rated for the season ... 446 AB, .340-37-103, 36 BB, 105 SO

Player X ... Brandon Larson.

There are some differences ... Larson played third base, where there is a higher expectation for offensive production than shortstop.

But there are also some similarities ... the dramatic increase in batting average and a slight reduction in strikeouts, which probably accounts for some of that.

Bottom line ... a guy that suddenly emerges as a "hitting prospect" at age 25-26 in Triple-A probably isn't the late bloomer that fans would hope he is.

One final point to make about Cozart ... I did a little research and found another ballyhooed infield prospect that had a similar uptick in production in his second year at the Triple-A level at a similar age.

Cozart's numbers in Triple-A in the calendar year that he turned 25 ... 533 AB, .255-17-67, 40 BB, 107 SO

Cozart's current numbers at age 26, pro-rated for the entire season ... 516 AB, .319-12-53, 33 BB, 79 SO

Player X's numbers in Triple-A by the time he turned 25 ... 487 AB, .246-16-59, 38 BB, 139 SO

Player X's Triple-A numbers at age 26, roughly pro-rated for the season ... 446 AB, .340-37-103, 36 BB, 105 SO

Player X ... Brandon Larson.

Not a good example for the fans of bringing up Cozart. That being said, I want to see Cozart in Cincinnati ... in September.

Not a good example for the fans of bringing up Cozart. That being said, I want to see Cozart in Cincinnati ... in September.

As I've said before, I don't doubt that Cozart could help the Reds in some capacity, especially the way Janish and Renteria have been hitting, but to act like he's going to be an impact player with the bat is a case of unbridled (and perhaps unjustified) optimism.

Gomes and Hanigan draw lead off walks. Stubbs bunts into a force out with Janish on deck. I would be interested to know if that was a straight sacrifice attempt called for by Dusty. If yes, I don't agree with that with Janish on deck. I would rather see Stubbs hit. He likely isn't going to hit into a DP with his speed.

Janish follows the bunt with a K. Fortunately, Fred Lewis picks him up with an RBI single. Phuillips grounds out. Reds lead 4-2 heading to the bottom of the 7th.

Volquez still in. Interesting move ... Heisey comes in as defensive sub for Lewis.

Bray follows Ondrusek to the mound to get the last 2 outs of the 8th versus Damon and Zobrist.

Reds lead 4-3 heading to the 9th. I am sure it will be CoCo's game to close.

I guess Bray facing Damon today was the right move to make ... only because it worked. :lol:

I guess Bray facing Damon today was the right move to make ... only because it worked. :lol:

The odds were in Dusty's favor even more today since Damon got the hit last night.

CoCo on to close gives up a one out single. Does the guy ever get a 1-2-3 save? I guess as long as he gets the save we can't complain. Cordero has 16 saves and a 1.53 ERA on the year.

Reds win 4-3. Nice job taking 2 of 3 on the road from one of the hottest teams in baseball. It easily could have been a sweep.

The odds were in Dusty's favor even more today since Damon got the hit last night.

I should have phrased it as if "some will think it was the right move ... only because it worked." Given Bray's effectiveness against lefties, it is/was an entirely defensible move.

Also, it's another plank for the argument of having some patience with Volquez and the starting rotation. Some people here were ready to throw Volquez to the wolves a few weeks ago.

Volquez should continue to get better as the year goes on. That is usually how it works as pitchers return from TJ surgery. Control is the last thing that comes back.