What Planned Parenthood Does

I haven't read the whole debate, but I have a question about something.

Assume PP loses the funding and as a result of that, they lose or diminish their ability to provide all the other services they offer besides abortion. This leaves hundreds of thousands of women nationwide looking for an alternative way to get contraception, care, counceling, etc.

If that happens, aren't those services available through other government programs, like your local health department? I know our local HD provides free contraceptives, women's care, prenatal care, etc. for those who can't afford it. Is that the case in other states as well?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't read the whole debate, but I have a question about something.

Assume PP loses the funding and as a result of that, they lose or diminish their ability to provide all the other services they offer besides abortion. This leaves hundreds of thousands of women nationwide looking for an alternative way to get contraception, care, counceling, etc.

If that happens, aren't those services available through other government programs, like your local health department? I know our local HD provides free contraceptives, women's care, prenatal care, etc. for those who can't afford it. Is that the case in other states as well?

I have the same questions, Watusi. But, in this age of budget cuts, will the funding that has gone to provide those services be diverted to public health programs? Or will it disappear completely? If it's simply cut, where to those millions of women go for that care? In my opinion, Planned Parenthood has take a very large portion of that burden off of the health departments.

Yet, abortions would still happen. So, did you solve the problem? Your stance indicates you're only interested in the punishment, not resolving the problem.

No, you're assuming-which you do quite often- that I'm only interested in the punishment. Quit putting words in my mouth. I said you had a weak argument to say that making abortions illegal will not stop all abortions. I don't think anyone on BGP's thinks that it will.

I'm not saying that making it illegal will magically prevent all of it and get the mother's that did it in trouble. I know you have to fix problems where they stem from and yes we need to start showing that adoption agencies is truly a viable option. But to say that making something illegal or legal won't prevent certain acts to an extent is just naive.

Here are two laws that would help. Any man who gets a woman pregnant that results in an abortion spends 5 years in jail. Secondly, any man that gets a woman pregnant out of wedlock is automatically sentenced to one year in jail.

Some of my friends would be in the pen and they are good fathers.

No, you're assuming-which you do quite often- that I'm only interested in the punishment. Quit putting words in my mouth. I said you had a weak argument to say that making abortions illegal will not stop all abortions. I don't think anyone on BGP's thinks that it will.

I'm not saying that making it illegal will magically prevent all of it and get the mother's that did it in trouble. I know you have to fix problems where they stem from and yes we need to start showing that adoption agencies is truly a viable option. But to say that making something illegal or legal won't prevent certain acts to an extent is just naive.

I'm not putting words in your mouth, nor is my argument weak. I'm also not naive. I actually have experience in this matter. Try being there for girls who's parents have thrown them out of the house with "boyfriends" who dump them and deny any part of the matter. Try convincing a 16 year old (or younger) that having the baby is the right thing to do. Try telling a girl who has no home, no idea how she's going to stay in school, or even how she'll be able to make it till the next day that everything is going to be fine. It's a really tough sell.

Now, add in that what she's thinking of doing is illegal. She likely won't talk to anyone like me. She'll likely do her own thinking, and (God forbid) seek out an illegal abortion, which could have devastating consequences not only for the baby but herself. She'll not seek medical care and risks infection, infertility or death.

You're against abortion so adamantly? Get in there. Counsel boys to keep it in their pants. Be willing to take in a young girl who needs your help. At the very minimum, be willing to listen as a young girl goes through her anguish and show her how having her baby is the right thing to do.

Don't you DARE purport to try and tell me what I don't know about the issue. I daresay you'd be shocked to know what I know.

I do wish abortion was illegal. But more than that, I want the reasons that women choose abortion to be eradicated. I want VIABLE options and more than a little more community involvement in the issue. We have no problem spending millions of dollars to try and find ways to make gangs go away, to find ways to keep kids off drugs. Yet we only think overturning Roe vs. Wade is what needs to be done to address abortion.

If only we could all live in that Utopian oasis that you seem to think is the answer.

I'm not putting words in your mouth, nor is my argument weak. I'm also not naive. I actually have experience in this matter. Try being there for girls who's parents have thrown them out of the house with "boyfriends" who dump them and deny any part of the matter. Try convincing a 16 year old (or younger) that having the baby is the right thing to do. Try telling a girl who has no home, no idea how she's going to stay in school, or even how she'll be able to make it till the next day that everything is going to be fine. It's a really tough sell.

You are putting words in my mouth. You have still portrayed me as a person who thinks that making abortion illegal is the only answer. At no point in time have I said that nor did I call you naive. I said "...to say that making something illegal or legal won't prevent certain acts to an extent is just naive." Not calling you naive, that idea is. I'm not saying that is the only thing we should do and then just leave it at that.

Try convincing a 16 year old (or younger) that having the baby is the right thing to do

Being in High School a short time ago, I can tell you I have had these conversations with close friends on more than one occasion.

Now, add in that what she's thinking of doing is illegal. She likely won't talk to anyone like me. She'll likely do her own thinking, and (God forbid) seek out an illegal abortion, which could have devastating consequences not only for the baby but herself. She'll not seek medical care and risks infection, infertility or death.

Most of the time, friends will consult with their close friends. Whether or not it works is a different story. I have saw both ends of it. If it is legal, girls in high school will look at it as a viable option because it is legal and nothing is wrong with it. (This coming from their own mouths)This cannot be the outlook of it nor should abortion be a birth control method. Which it has been used as. This is why I agree with you that we need to make options such as adoption more prominent.

You're against abortion so adamantly? Get in there. Counsel boys to keep it in their pants. Be willing to take in a young girl who needs your help. At the very minimum, be willing to listen as a young girl goes through her anguish and show her how having her baby is the right thing to do.

I'm against murder. I have talked with friends about being careful when having a good time, use protection even if the girl is on birth control. Most of the girls in my high school who were pregnant didn't get that way because the boys just couldn't help themselves and could not refrain from keeping it their pants, the people who got pregnant were in relationships and neither party could keep their pants on. Very rarely was it one night stands, never-the-less that did happen.

Don't you DARE purport to try and tell me what I don't know about the issue. I daresay you'd be shocked to know what I know.

What? This is what I mean. Putting words in my mouth. This statement proves my point. I have never tried to tell you that you know nothing of the issue. So this is completely irrelevant.

I do wish abortion was illegal. But more than that, I want the reasons that women choose abortion to be eradicated. I want VIABLE options and more than a little more community involvement in the issue. We have no problem spending millions of dollars to try and find ways to make gangs go away, to find ways to keep kids off drugs. Yet we only think overturning Roe vs. Wade is what needs to be done to address abortion.

I agree with you 100%.

If only we could all live in that Utopian oasis that you seem to think is the answer.

You are quick to judge. You have already built up an entire society just based on my views on this issue.

Too bad Planned Parenthood wasn't around in 1940's and 50's. My "Uncle" made my Aunt get a back street abortion. To top this off he also would not claim the twin babies born 'premature' because they weren't 'his'. He also would not pay child support for the 3 children he had with his wife until his brother called him and told him he would turn him over to the authorities. His oldest child still refers to him by his first name only. I would like to call him another choice word.

Best post on P/R in months, RM. I wish more people could understand the issue in this light.

PP averaged an abortion every 95 seconds in 09... Seems their education, counseling, and other programs aren't working very well...

Doesn't sound right. Show me your math.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/PPFA_Annual_Report_08-09-FINAL-12-10-10.pdf

This says they saw approximately 3M people in 2009. It also says that 3% of their services are for an abortion. 3M *.03 = 90,000. I saw a link that had your "per second" claim but it also said they provided 332k abortions. Something doesn't match.

For the record, 90k is a lot so I'm not diminishing the act I'm simply questioning facts.

So for those who are against PP receiving federal funds due to a small % of their business having to do with abortions are you willing to pay more in taxes to offer welfare?

No one wants to take a shot at this one besides UKMF?