What Planned Parenthood Does

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do most people know what services Planned Parenthood offers that have everything to do with preventing abortion? Or are they only focused on the fact that some Planned Parenthood facilities do abortions?

Are people aware of the fact that many abortions are done in the offices of OB/GYN clinics...not associated with Planned Parenthood at all?

Do most people know what services Planned Parenthood offers that have everything to do with preventing abortion? Or are they only focused on the fact that some Planned Parenthood facilities do abortions?

Are people aware of the fact that many abortions are done in the offices of OB/GYN clinics...not associated with Planned Parenthood at all?

Thus, the thread.

I read/heard today that the budget resolution is being held up partly because of the insistence of some that defunding PP be included before passing the resolution to keep us open for business. That would seem to go against the TP line of thinking that it's about the $$ and not necessarily about the politics of it.

Let's do some math. Say 100 women walk into PP. 35 of them are there looking for contraceptive counseling. If PP didn't exist, would those 35 women go without contraceptives? If so, let's say 17 of them end up pregnant and 8 of those decide to go with an abortion. Seems like it would be wise to continue to fund their contraceptives and disease management plans.

Let's do some math. Say 100 women walk into PP. 35 of them are there looking for contraceptive counseling. If PP didn't exist, would those 35 women go without contraceptives? If so, let's say 17 of them end up pregnant and 8 of those decide to go with an abortion. Seems like it would be wise to continue to fund their contraceptives and disease management plans.

The question isn't do they do good or important work. Shoot, I would say the majority of government programs do good and important work, albeit usually not very efficiently. The question to me is can we afford to fund it, and should we? The government shouldn't be set up to provide all good and important functions. We have to cut something, what do we cut?

The question isn't do they do good or important work. Shoot, I would say the majority of government programs do good and important work, albeit usually not very efficiently. The question to me is can we afford to fund it, and should we? The government shouldn't be set up to provide all good and important functions. We have to cut something, what do we cut?

You are 100% correct.

However, I do NOT believe that many of those against the funding have looked at it from an ROI perspective. They've looked at it from a "we disagree even though it's legal and we don't care if it is providing a positive overall service."

I can't imagine my wife having an abortion. However, it's the law of the land so we can't simply de-fund it because X percent of the people are opposed to it. We have to look at it from a return on investment standpoint. If we think it doesn't make sense FINANCIALLY then de-fund it.

Tons of folks do not want their hard earned dollars to fund the murder of innocents.... Exactly what is wrong with that??? Alcohol is legal too, but the feds won't buy it for you...

Tons of folks do not want their hard earned dollars to go to a lot of organizations...but they do.

Your alcohol example would seem to indicate a lack of a firm grasp on the debate.

Federal dollars cannot be used to pay for abortion - even with planned parenthood.

FWIW this is not just about Planned Parenthood, it is about Title X and women's health all the way around. Planned parenthood, statistics say, prevent about 2,000,000 unwanted pregnancies a year. If you extrapolate that out, that means that planned parenthood prevents about 800,000 abortions per year. Isn't that what we all want, to prevent unplanned pregnancies and therefore abortions?

Tons of folks do not want their hard earned dollars to go to a lot of organizations...but they do.

Your alcohol example would seem to indicate a lack of a firm grasp on the debate.

The alcohol example was for the post that said since the murders are legal the feds should keep paying for them.. So you don't mind that your money supports murder??

The alcohol example was for the post that said since the murders are legal the feds should keep paying for them.. So you don't mind that your money supports murder??

I mind that my money is spent on wars where people die and that we give subsidies to oil companies and have given subsidies to tobacco growers in the past. I don't think we should shut the government down to stop that. We should debate those things independently.

I mind that my money is spent on wars where people die and that we give subsidies to oil companies and have given subsidies to tobacco growers in the past. I don't think we should shut the government down to stop that. We should debate those things independently.
So you are against killing on the battle field but support the murder of babies ??

Again, you missed the point. PP provides many services including abortions. Some feel that they provide a service that taxpayers would bear if PP went away. Your alcohol example was ill-conceived and lacking in relevance. That's clear, right?