Fab Five on ESPN

BleedBlue12

I'm watching it right now on DVR, it is one of the best 30 for 30's. I still remember the sting of Mash and the guys losing to them in the Final Four.

I think I broke down in tears when Mash got his 5th foul. I was in Vegas at the time watching the game from the Sands Hotel.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I broke down in tears when Mash got his 5th foul. I was in Vegas at the time watching the game from the Sands Hotel.

I didn't break down in tears but I've seldom seen a big game change in that one instant like that call.

Up to that point Mashburn had taken over the OT and UK had a 4 point lead. The look on the Fab Five was one of "we can not stop this guy." The second Mash commits his 5th foul on Howard, the demeanor of the Fab Five changed 180 degrees and UK played a game of just "trying to hold on."

That's why I wonder what their legacy would be if they had lost that game to KY. Would they still be as revered and remembered? :idunno:

They were great and got on a great roll in the tourney their freshman year. The next year they were up and down and never played a complete game until they went against Kentucky in the Final Four. It took a complete game and some help from a Dale Brown injury/ Jamal Mashburn fifth foul to make it back to the title game.

I wonder if UK had pulled that game out would the Fab Five be as remembered as they are? :idunno:

Rose effectively said that Kentucky was the team they were most worried about. They all thought they were definitely better than North Carolina. They didn't go into anything about the UK game in the final four but it seemed the implication was they had to play a perfect game (which they did) to get past UK.

I was in college in New Orleans in 93 and a buddy and I went to the open practice of the Final Four teams and every team had an hour on the court. Each team ran some sort of organized practice except for Michigan. All they did was put on a dunk show and shoot free throws. My buddy and I laughed and mocked them talking about how UK would beat them because they weren't taking the practice time seriously. They went on to shoot 100% from the free throw line against UK if I am not mistaken.

Edit: I am mistaken. They shot 23/30 from the line. Why was I thinking they were perfect from the line?

Edit pt. 2: just read a recap on the game and Michigan was 12-13 from the line at one point and their free throw shooting was above their normal 65% and one of the reasons Michigan even went to to OT according to the recap I read.

Thought this was very well done. I remember them very well but can't say I was a huge fan. Looking back I appreciate what they accomplished at such a young age.

That said, I still come away asking myself: How much is real and how much is hype?

They were great and got on a great roll in the tourney their freshman year. The next year they were up and down and never played a complete game until they went against Kentucky in the Final Four. It took a complete game and some help from a Dale Brown injury/ Jamal Mashburn fifth foul to make it back to the title game.

I wonder if UK had pulled that game out would the Fab Five be as remembered as they are? :idunno:I like what Jalen Rose said about no one remembers who won but they remember the Fab Five. A lot of truth to the media influence and their appeal for being in the right place at the right time as the wheels of change turned in Collegiate Basketball. :thumb:

I don't think so, b/c the mystique of the Fab Five needed the "TO" to become legendary. Without that "tragedy" the Fab Five are just a group that were influential in their time, but nothing too special. A second straight loss in the National Championship Game, a game they seemingly gave away, that is like the plot of a Greek Tragedy. That's what makes them so remembered.

Here's a question not related to the Fab Five but rather about calling TOs in college basketball. Does anyone know why the rule states a technical foul should be called if a player calls TO when none are left? It seems more logical to me for the refs to just ignore the player's request for a TO and let the play continue. If a player calls TO (when none remain) and takes a step without dribbling, then it's traveling and a turnover. It has always confused me why a technical foul gets charged in this situation. I thought I heard that in football, if a player tries to call TO when none are left the refs just ignore the request and the clock continues.

Just like he did against Duke the year before. Fouls out w/ 27 pts in both games. How did Dick Vitale leave him out of his 50 best players?

Here's a question not related to the Fab Five but rather about calling TOs in college basketball. Does anyone know why the rule states a technical foul should be called if a player calls TO when none are left? It seems more logical to me for the refs to just ignore the player's request for a TO and let the play continue. If a player calls TO (when none remain) and takes a step without dribbling, then it's traveling and a turnover. It has always confused me why a technical foul gets charged in this situation. I thought I heard that in football, if a player tries to call TO when none are left the refs just ignore the request and the clock continues.

Referees are not responsible for knowing how many TOs a team has left. Secondly, referees are not in the "do they really want it" business. A coach may take a TO fully knowing its ramifications.

When a coach or player requests a TO it's always to be granted .

I was in college in New Orleans in 93 and a buddy and I went to the open practice of the Final Four teams and every team had an hour on the court. Each team ran some sort of organized practice except for Michigan. All they did was put on a dunk show and shoot free throws. My buddy and I laughed and mocked them talking about how UK would beat them because they weren't taking the practice time seriously. They went on to shoot 100% from the free throw line against UK if I am not mistaken.

Edit: I am mistaken. They shot 23/30 from the line. Why was I thinking they were perfect from the line?

Edit pt. 2: just read a recap on the game and Michigan was 12-13 from the line at one point and their free throw shooting was above their normal 65% and one of the reasons Michigan even went to to OT according to the recap I read.

UM went up by about 11 minutes left in the 2nd Half. They had shot well from FT's and the field and they really guarded the 3 pt line well (7-21 for the game if memory serves) but UK surged back to tie it and eventually force OT.

I've always felt the Fab Five were better athletes and could create better than that UK team which relied on the "system," and the defense. Mash though took over that OT and "if" he doesn't foul out there is not doubt in my mind that the Cats win that night. (With Dale Brown's injury I'm not sure they would have had enough left for Carolina on Monday)

Just like he did against Duke the year before. Fouls out w/ 27 pts in both games. How did Dick Vitale leave him out of his 50 best players?

Biggest difference IMO was the time factor. :19 and down 1 (after Laettner's Free Throws) and about 2:00 left and up 4. UK at that point in '93 was eating clock, spreading the court and having Mash just school the Wolverines in 1 on 1. That's how great Mash was an individual player and none of them could guard him that way.

I don't think so, b/c the mystique of the Fab Five needed the "TO" to become legendary. Without that "tragedy" the Fab Five are just a group that were influential in their time, but nothing too special. A second straight loss in the National Championship Game, a game they seemingly gave away, that is like the plot of a Greek Tragedy. That's what makes them so remembered.

I think you are right. The "Greek Tragic Hero" of Webber seals the group in time.

Love reading about that UK/Mich Final 4 game. I have vivid memories of that game sitting court-side next to Kareem. That UK team will always have a special place in my heart. Was so upset about them losing that I unloaded my great seats for Monday night and headed back to the Bluegrass. Can't believe it's been almost 20 years ago.