Fab Five on ESPN

BleedBlue12

My favorite line from that one was when someone said A&M was giving away so many cars to players that SMU started calling it the Pontiac Trans A&M.

I think mine was when some guy said, No one will out cheat us... :lol:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought this was very well done. I remember them very well but can't say I was a huge fan. Looking back I appreciate what they accomplished at such a young age.

That said, I still come away asking myself: How much is real and how much is hype?

They were great and got on a great roll in the tourney their freshman year. The next year they were up and down and never played a complete game until they went against Kentucky in the Final Four. It took a complete game and some help from a Dale Brown injury/ Jamal Mashburn fifth foul to make it back to the title game.

I wonder if UK had pulled that game out would the Fab Five be as remembered as they are? :idunno:

I like what Jalen Rose said about no one remembers who won but they remember the Fab Five. A lot of truth to the media influence and their appeal for being in the right place at the right time as the wheels of change turned in Collegiate Basketball. :thumb:

Which is sad if true. I don't that that all that many could name all five of them off the top of their head, at least not before the publicity on this show.

I'd say everyone that was from age 10-25 that had any interest in college basketball at the time could name them all. Totally changed the game for an entire generation growing up in the early 90's...

The question finally got answered on why he called the timeout. I never heard that his team mates was telling him to call time out until watching it lastnight. I feel bad for Webber.

They showed one guy in the distance signaling timeout way before it occurred. That was the first time I ever saw that clip and to the best of my knowledge have never heard him say he saw that person but rather someone was saying "Timeout." It was gone over while on the bench, and was just bumfuzzled the entire possession. I do not lay the loss at his feet, but Skip Bayless summed it up best today when he explained that play was essentially a microcosm of the intangibles Webber never had through his NBA career. People make it out like Michigan was going to win had he not screwed up, but normally neglect the fact they were still down 2 points. In that possession he nearly called a timeout after the rebound, walked with the ball, missed Jalen Rose on the outlet pass, dribbled to the only area of the court he should not go (and he most likely could have easily gotten to the rim), and then called the t.o.

I'd say everyone that was from age 10-25 that had any interest in college basketball at the time could name them all. Totally changed the game for an entire generation growing up in the early 90's...

Yup. My 16 year old brother and his basketball buddies love them, they've all read the book and this was way before any mention of this show.

Could be, that's quite a bit different than what I had replied to though. Again, they were more show than go and I guess that appealed to the youngsters of the time.

Could be, that's quite a bit different than what I had replied to though. Again, they were more show than go and I guess that appealed to the youngsters of the time.

I'd say getting to consecutive championship games provided a decent amount of go regardless of the path it took to get there...

Which is sad if true. I don't that that all that many could name all five of them off the top of their head, at least not before the publicity on this show.

I agree with this for many sports fans, especially my age. I'm a nerd though, I don't even remember really watching them but I could have told you their names, numbers and where they were from :D.