Playoff format KY or OH.

Wolf19

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going to have to be more specific. Do you mean the number of divisions? The fact that Ohio picks teams based on computer points? The fact that a team can have home-field advantage all the way through the State Semi-finals in KY and in Ohio it's only 1 game?

More details, please.

-CardinalsFan

You are going to have to be more specific. Do you mean the number of divisions? The fact that Ohio picks teams based on computer points? The fact that a team can have home-field advantage all the way through the State Semi-finals in KY and in Ohio it's only 1 game?

More details, please.

-CardinalsFan

Sorry. His biggest issue is with the points that you have to have to make it.

I would take KY over OH the way it is right now. I don't like that a 10-0 or 9-1 team can miss the playoffs.

How often does this really happen? I know of one, Withrow, 20 years ago. If teams play a competitive schedule and go 10-0 or 9-1 in Ohio they make the playoffs.

The converse is there are 0-10 and 1-9 teams in Ky that get abused in week 1 of the KY system. Those games are painful to watch.

Not sure which system I like, just know I dislike week 1 of the KY high school playoffs

I take Kentucky's playoffs in a heart beat. No one in Kentucky can ever be excluded from a chance at a state title because of a computer. It is all settled on the field. Two rounds of mostly lopsided wins is well worth that IMO.

You can get rid of the first two (2) rounds of playoffs in KY and it would still be settled on the fied. The way the districts are set up every team does make the playoffs just like basketball, which is the argument that is so frequently articulated. The only difference is those district games are embedded in the regular season because the nature of football only allows for one game per week.

Like Stinkyboy said, since the OH playoffs expanded to 8 teams per region, I can't think of a single team with no or one losses that have been excluded.

Just wish the top three made it. A #1 playing number #4 is always a blowout. If two and three played while the district winner had a by week. Then the district championship. Just seems that would be a better format in our great state of Kentucky.

Not true RFC. In fact, I think a #4 has even won a state title. There are #4 seeds winning playoff games every year.

Just wish the top three made it. A #1 playing number #4 is always a blowout. If two and three played while the district winner had a by week. Then the district championship. Just seems that would be a better format in our great state of Kentucky.

Not always. Every year, there is at least a couple #4 seeds that pull off the upsets and a couple more that come close. Even though it's less than a handfulll of 4 seeds that do this every year, I don't think they should be punished b/c of the others not being able to hold their weight.

This year #4 over #1 were West Jessamine beating Holmes and Ft. Knox beating Glasgow.

The Ohio version of the playoffs is better. I think that it would allow for local confrences, teams can play locally, which would help with travel issues and money issues. It also makes teams schedule tougher teams. If they don't accumulate enough points they don't make the playoffs. So by beating a bunch of 2-8 teams you have kept yourself out of the playoffs. I think the Ohio version of the playoffs should be looked at by the KHSAA. It would solve a lot of the arguments about who deserves in. I can guarntee that an 0-10 wouldn't be in the playoffs.

The amount of teams in the playoffs is much better in Ohio, and the computer actually does a decent job of calculating strength of schedule, etc.

I like the fact that in Kentucky winning the district can lead to hosting playoff games better. So there are bits of each I like better.