Playoff format KY or OH.

Wolf19

If OH ever went to a playoff system like KY currently has, I would be very interested in seeing how many of the lower seeded teams win in what is considered to be upsets in comparison to what happens in KY. Personally, I believe there would be several more upsets if this happened in OH.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of you who misunderstand, THE COMPUTER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A TEAM IN OH MAKING THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!! It only calculates the points, like a calculator.

Teams EARN points in 2 ways:

1) Winning games- the larger the school, the more points are earned

2) The teams that you have defeated winning games- the larger the school, the more points earned

The OH system is perfect, schools have to schedule good teams and win games to make the playoffs; if a team has a good record but doesn't get in, they should have scheduled tougher opponents!!!!!

The only drawback is if a League mandates playing all the schools in the league, then the teams in that league are hampered by not having as much scheduling flexibility.

Well stated.

If OH ever went to a playoff system like KY currently has, I would be very interested in seeing how many of the lower seeded teams win in what is considered to be upsets in comparison to what happens in KY. Personally, I believe there would be several more upsets if this happened in OH.

They can't possibly; they have over 700 schools playing football; KY only has 200+; OH would be playing football until February.

For all of you who misunderstand, THE COMPUTER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A TEAM IN OH MAKING THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!! It only calculates the points, like a calculator.

2) The teams that you have defeated winning games- the larger the school, the more points earned

The OH system is perfect, schools have to schedule good teams and win games to make the playoffs; if a team has a good record but doesn't get in, they should have scheduled tougher opponents!!!!!

The only drawback is if a League mandates playing all the schools in the league, then the teams in that league are hampered by not having as much scheduling flexibility.

Then I guess a better question would be, "Should Ohio get rid of Conference's"? What is the purpose of a conference when you can actually be penalized for winning every game on the conference portion of your schedule?

There were only 2 one loss teams that did not make the playoffs in Ohio. There were plenty of 3, 4 and a couple of 5 loss teams that made it over 2 loss teams. I like Ohio's football playoff system, you get rewarded for playing the harder schedule. But I like Ky's basketball tournament better.

Then I guess a better question would be, "Should Ohio get rid of Conference's"? What is the purpose of a conference when you can actually be penalized for winning every game on the conference portion of your schedule?

While it may not be in a schools best interest to be in a conference for making the playoffs, there must be some benefit otherwise they wouldn't be in a conference. It is the schools decison.

I suppose the BCS is perfect too?

Yes teams are judged by their schedule, but also how the teams on your schedule do throughout the season. In the case of Caldwell, they play basically the same schedule they have for many years and have made the playoffs the last couple of years by going 8-2. This year however, they failed to make the playoffs at 9-1 in large part because their opponents did worse this year overall than the last couple of years. They cannot control how their opponents do except for one game out of ten.

In the same area a team called Waterford, which is in Division 6 (equal to class A in KY) went 9-1 in 2007 and didn’t make the playoffs. Their only loss was the first game of the season to a team from WV who went 8-2. This would be like saying Fairview at 9-1 didn’t make the playoffs because they didn’t play and beat any decent 2A or above teams. To me that is hypocritical, especially for the smaller class teams. To say they have to play larger schools to make the playoffs in their “small” school division.

Obviously with 700+ teams and the same number of playoff spots as KY, there is going to be a huge difference between the level of teams that make the Ohio playoffs verses the Kentucky Playoffs, but Ohio’s system is far from perfect. Actually I would take Kentucky’s “watered down” system any day than to watch 9-1 teams not make the playoffs.

At least in KY you control your own destiny. As FC points out, that ain't always the case in OH.

I think using a computer ranking system to choose the playoff teams sucks and I'd take one round of lopsided victories any day to avoid that.

I remember having this discussion with a friend of mine from Ohio. I'd take Kentucky's any day over Ohio's. Great teams sit on the sidelines in OH - their system often eliminates contenders from ever taking the field in the playoffs.

I like settling the issue on the field, and I like the fact "late-bloomers" get the chance to prove themselves in KY.

At least in KY you control your own destiny. As FC points out, that ain't always the case in OH.

I think using a computer ranking system to choose the playoff teams sucks and I'd take one round of lopsided victories any day to avoid that.

Please read my earlier post #30; IT IS NOT A COMPUTER RANKING SYSTEM!!!!!

Teams ABSOLUTELY have control of their own destiny- their schedule! They don't have to play the same teams every year; they need to actively search for good teams to play!

Edited by Wildcat

I remember having this discussion with a friend of mine from Ohio. I'd take Kentucky's any day over Ohio's. Great teams sit on the sidelines in OH - their system often eliminates contenders from ever taking the field in the playoffs.

I like settling the issue on the field, and I like the fact "late-bloomers" get the chance to prove themselves in KY.

In OH very few, if any, "real" contenders get left out since they have 8 teams out of every region make the playoffs; when it was 4, 2, and 1 (imagine that) some did.

How SHOULD OH do it then with 700+ schools playing football???????????????????????????

I suppose the BCS is perfect too?

Yes teams are judged by their schedule, but also how the teams on your schedule do throughout the season. In the case of Caldwell, they play basically the same schedule they have for many years and have made the playoffs the last couple of years by going 8-2. This year however, they failed to make the playoffs at 9-1 in large part because their opponents did worse this year overall than the last couple of years. They cannot control how their opponents do except for one game out of ten.

In the same area a team called Waterford, which is in Division 6 (equal to class A in KY) went 9-1 in 2007 and didn’t make the playoffs. Their only loss was the first game of the season to a team from WV who went 8-2. This would be like saying Fairview at 9-1 didn’t make the playoffs because they didn’t play and beat any decent 2A or above teams. To me that is hypocritical, especially for the smaller class teams. To say they have to play larger schools to make the playoffs in their “small” school division.

Obviously with 700+ teams and the same number of playoff spots as KY, there is going to be a huge difference between the level of teams that make the Ohio playoffs verses the Kentucky Playoffs, but Ohio’s system is far from perfect. Actually I would take Kentucky’s “watered down” system any day than to watch 9-1 teams not make the playoffs.

If the other team beat more bigger, better schools, why shouldn't they make the playoffs over the school that didn't????

The record is a moot point; if a team wants to make the playoffs, schedule bigger, better teams to play against- it really is quite simple!

In OH very few, if any, "real" contenders get left out since they have 8 teams out of every region make the playoffs; when it was 4, 2, and 1 (imagine that) some did.

How SHOULD OH do it then with 700+ schools playing football???????????????????????????

Maybe they should look at a combination of expanding their divisions, splitting private verse public, or setting up meaningful districts where the top two teams advance and the remaining are placed into a wildcard pool for playoff spots.