Playoff format KY or OH.

Wolf19

Please read my earlier post #30; IT IS NOT A COMPUTER RANKING SYSTEM!!!!!

Teams ABSOLUTELY have control of their own destiny- their schedule! They don't have to play the same teams every year; they need to actively search for good teams to play!

I understand the Harbin points system and you are right, the term "computer ranking system" was a misnomer used by me. Maybe I should have said computer calculated point system.

And no matter how well you schedule your fate is not completely in your own control. What another team does on the field helps determine whether you make the playoffs or not and I just can't embrace that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets just say this.

In KY, I think we do it the way we do it with only having 200+ schools fiedling teams. We need those teams to play as many games possible to not only help their own growth(s), but the state as a whole. This is the only good thing about the 6 Class system.

In, OH, it sounds like they are doing it right. I agree with wildcat, you have to make it very challenging to get in w/ over 700 schools in the state, or else, they'd be playing the whole school year. Which, come to think of it, isnt a bad thing!!

If the other team beat more bigger, better schools, why shouldn't they make the playoffs over the school that didn't????

The record is a moot point; if a team wants to make the playoffs, schedule bigger, better teams to play against- it really is quite simple!

So as a division 6 school I should have to play and beat division 3, 4, and 5 schools or I can’t make the division 6 playoffs? Waterford did not lose to any Ohio team in 2007. They can’t play teams in lower divisions because they are in the lowest division. Would they have beaten Newark Catholic who won the Division 6 Championship that year? Probably not, but nobody will ever know because their one loss to a WV team prevented them from making the playoffs. I completely agree with strength of schedule arguments to a point. Obviously you can’t have a Cincy Woodward playing 7 or 8 division 5/6 schools and going 8-2 to make the playoffs, but I completely disagree with the situation that occurred in division 6 in 2007 and to a lesser extent Caldwell this year. In the end, I think there is a better way to ensure teams that beat their opponents, which is all they can do, are rewarded for their on the field efforts and not punished because of what their opponents did in their other 9 games.

Maybe they should look at a combination of expanding their divisions, splitting private verse public, or setting up meaningful districts where the top two teams advance and the remaining are placed into a wildcard pool for playoff spots.

Expanding divisions- maybe, but they won't want to water their championships dow

Splitting private vs. publie- their public schools do very well against the private schools, so there is no need for that

Wildcat pool- how would you determine who makes the playoffs out of that pool

So as a division 6 school I should have to play and beat division 3, 4, and 5 schools or I can’t make the division 6 playoffs? Waterford did not lose to any Ohio team in 2007. They can’t play teams in lower divisions because they are in the lowest division. Would they have beaten Newark Catholic who won the Division 6 Championship that year? Probably not, but nobody will ever know because their one loss to a WV team prevented them from making the playoffs. I completely agree with strength of schedule arguments to a point. Obviously you can’t have a Cincy Woodward playing 7 or 8 division 5/6 schools and going 8-2 to make the playoffs, but I completely disagree with the situation that occurred in division 6 in 2007 and to a lesser extent Caldwell this year. In the end, I think there is a better way to ensure teams that beat their opponents, which is all they can do, are rewarded for their on the field efforts and not punished because of what their opponents did in their other 9 games.

They don't have to beat bigger schools; they can schedule and beat schools their size that win a lot, thereby earning as many points as possible.

I don't know the specifics, but the school that earned more points than them either beat bigger schools or better schools in their division; Waterford was competing with schools in their own division; the other school that outpointed them figured out a way.

I understand the Harbin points system and you are right, the term "computer ranking system" was a misnomer used by me. Maybe I should have said computer calculated point system.

And no matter how well you schedule your fate is not completely in your own control. What another team does on the field helps determine whether you make the playoffs or not and I just can't embrace that.

Having to beat good teams that win is certainly better than NOT HAVING TO BEAT ANYONE to make the playoffs.....which happens in KY much more frequently than good teams getting left out in OH!

Expanding divisions- maybe, but they won't want to water their championships dow

Splitting private vs. publie- their public schools do very well against the private schools, so there is no need for that

Wildcat pool- how would you determine who makes the playoffs out of that pool

Maybe adding one additional division would solve a lot of the problem. Since most or all of the 9-1 teams in recent memory sat in the 9th spot (1-8 make the playoffs) if they added another division it would take roughly 16 teams from each existing division or 4 teams from each region. That would probably be a good start IMO.

A wildcat pool would only apply to teams that didn’t come in 1st or 2nd in their district. This of course would require a change in Ohio’s district/league structure. Many of the districts (leagues) have no real meaning when it comes to the playoffs because they have teams from multiple divisions in each league. If districts were actually structured to support the playoffs a team that went 9-1 or 8-2 with only one district loss would make the playoffs and then all the remaining teams in that division are considered for the remaining playoff slots based on record and strength of schedule.

I would take KY over OH the way it is right now. I don't like that a 10-0 or 9-1 team can miss the playoffs.

I haven't heard of a team in OH miss the playoffs with a 10-0 or 9-1 record in recent years. I know of a couple of teams that went 5-5 in OH and made playoffs.

Not true RFC. In fact, I think a #4 has even won a state title. There are #4 seeds winning playoff games every year.

Voice of Reason has a good point. KY should go to back to 4 classes or with all of the consolidation that has happened in KY over the last 25 years maybe they should be only 3 classes in KY.