Playoff format KY or OH.

Wolf19

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there an OH team that went 12-0 this season and did not make the playoffs? Seems inherently wrong.

I don't know, but if they played a powder puff schedule, the computer takes that into account and penalizes them for it................

Having played in the early 80's and followed a nephew that just graduated last year in Ohio and having two sons that played and graduated in Kentucky, I like a little of both.

The point system in Ohio can be a little bias. If a team plays in a strong conference/league they have a better chance to make the playoffs especially if you are a smaller school in a conference/ league with bigger schools. It can also work against a team, also.

During the early 80’s our team went 9-0, twice, but failed to make the playoffs due to the league we played in and the lack of a non-league game (due to scheduling problems with the financial situation in the school system). Also, not as many teams qualified back then.

The Kentucky system does seem a little watered down with the 6 class system but I believe that is a good thing. It does give most schools the opportunity to play.

I do, however, like the way Ohio has their game sites set-up with home games in the first round then neutral sites after that. Some region semi-final games can be lengthy drives and the regional championship and state semi-finals definitely are long hauls for most teams.

Wasn't there an OH team that went 12-0 this season and did not make the playoffs? Seems inherently wrong.

That isn't possible since you can only play 10 games in the regular season. However, from looking at the final Harbin Ratings that are posted on the OHSAA website, North Roalton HS (Division I, Region 1) and Caldwell HS (Division V, Region 19) were the two schools with the best record to not get into the playoffs. Each school had a record of 9-1.

I personally don't agree with neutral site games for anything other than state finals. You should be rewarded for what you do in the regular season and the KHSAA does have it on a rotation of which region is to host in the state semifinals. This entire "Ohio's system is so much better so Kentucky needs to be like Ohio"-garbage is silly. Why should a computer decide who makes the playoffs?

The only things I would change about the current system are to only allow the district champion and runner-up to make the playoffs, make the regular season an 11-game schedule in 11 weeks (the season would still end a week earlier than what it does now), and have the district games the last games of the season (i.e. if a school has four district opponents, the last four games will be against district opponents).

BUT with all that having been said, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

You are going to have to be more specific. Do you mean the number of divisions? The fact that Ohio picks teams based on computer points? The fact that a team can have home-field advantage all the way through the State Semi-finals in KY and in Ohio it's only 1 game?

More details, please.

-CardinalsFan

Nice to see you back. All better now?

I would take KY over OH the way it is right now. I don't like that a 10-0 or 9-1 team can miss the playoffs.

I totally agree, I don't know of any teams that have went undefeated and missed the playoffs in OH, but there have been many teams deserving of making the playoffs that didn't make it and played very tough schedules. With that in mind, I am much more in favor of the set-up in KY for playoffs. Perfect examples are with Simon Kenton making title game two years ago as a #4 seed, Bullitt East making the title game the same year as a low seed and nearly beating Bell County in what was supposed to be a blowout, and Bourbon County winning 2A as a low seed back in '97.

I would rather a bad 1-9 or 2-8 team make the playoffs than have a good 9-1 or 8-2 team miss the playoffs. Last season Colerain opened up with 2 losses (St. X and Elder) and then won the next 8 games beating Middletown along the way to finish up 8-2 and miss the playoffs. Middletown finished 9-1 and made the playoffs. Colerain was co-champions of the conference but didn't qualify for the playoffs. That just seems wrong.

Not always. Every year, there is at least a couple #4 seeds that pull off the upsets and a couple more that come close. Even though it's less than a handfulll of 4 seeds that do this every year, I don't think they should be punished b/c of the others not being able to hold their weight.

This year #4 over #1 were West Jessamine beating Holmes and Ft. Knox beating Glasgow.

Always going to be a upset . But so many of these games are blowouts. And sometimes when a #1 plays a #4 you get a big let down. That just means the better team got upset and the tourny just got watered down alittle. But I do see all of your points. And we can agree to disagree.

I would rather a bad 1-9 or 2-8 team make the playoffs than have a good 9-1 or 8-2 team miss the playoffs. Last season Colerain opened up with 2 losses (St. X and Elder) and then won the next 8 games beating Middletown along the way to finish up 8-2 and miss the playoffs. Middletown finished 9-1 and made the playoffs. Colerain was co-champions of the conference but didn't qualify for the playoffs. That just seems wrong.

The kids in Ohio know the bar is set high. The Colerain kids knew going into the games with St. X and Elder that if they didn't perform, the path to making the playoffs was going to be very difficult. However, they also knew that if they did make the playoffs they had actually accomplished something. Unlike KY where making the playoffs is like getting a little league trophy.

I feel much better about an 8-2 team missing the playoffs than I do about 43 of 45 1 seeds beating the 4 seeds by an average of 52-10.

For all of you who misunderstand, THE COMPUTER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A TEAM IN OH MAKING THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!! It only calculates the points, like a calculator.

Teams EARN points in 2 ways:

1) Winning games- the larger the school, the more points are earned

2) The teams that you have defeated winning games- the larger the school, the more points earned

The OH system is perfect, schools have to schedule good teams and win games to make the playoffs; if a team has a good record but doesn't get in, they should have scheduled tougher opponents!!!!!

The only drawback is if a League mandates playing all the schools in the league, then the teams in that league are hampered by not having as much scheduling flexibility.