Cincinnati St. X 12 Colerain, OH 9 (OT)

theguru

I think its after all games. I noticed during Channel 19's report that the players were all standing by the stands facing the stands after the game . I assume the coach was in there somewhere.

Thanks for the info. I noticed him doing it last year, but since they never lost I didn't know if it was only after a win. Tough thing to do after a loss like this, I'm sure. But, if anyone would do it it's him. :thumb:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, without the fumble, Colerain would have had a 3 point lead, right?

It was around mid-field, St. X had to drive it after the fumble; there's nothing to say that they couldn't have driven it with 30+ yards to go; they moved the ball as well as could be expected against Colerain's defense; it just got extremely difficult when they moved inside the red zone.

So, without the fumble, Colerain would have had a 3 point lead, right?

They would have had the lead...for what it's worth. However, I don't think the fumble was a legit call. Pride's forward momentum was stopped and he was being driven back about 3 yards when he lost the ball...the whistle should have been blown. Yes X had to move the ball a few more yards and did manage to kick the FG, but all-in-all, that was a bad break for Colerain.

The Colerain folks I was sitting around couldn't believe Coombs kept calling the fullback dive or the check-off down the line. The dive was stuffed and Pride was swallowed up before he took 3 steps...just like in the first game they played against X. Those plays possibly netted maybe one yard a pop, but more often than not, lost a couple of yards. X was very solid up front...why not when you can put 9 bodies in the box (without a passing game to worry about). The pitch-out plays to #27 and #26 were very effective and gained +5 yards a carry. Run those plays until the defense can stop it. Pride did throw 3 times and completed 2 out of 3. One pass was for 1 yard, 1 pass was about 8 yards and had a pass broken up in the end zone (called pass interference on X). IMO, Colerain was just too predictable.

Penalties hurt Colerain all night long, most crucial was the procedure penalty during O/T, when they had the ball inside the 5 yard line. Colerain struggled to get first downs...add a extra 5 or 10 yards to the series...and it was an insurmontable task against X's stingy defense.

The pass to #8 Ashley was like watching a play in slow motion...it seemed like the ball hung in the air forever. There was a collective "gulp" from the Colerain fans and then an explosion of blue onto the field when the ref signaled TD.

It was a great game.

They would have had the lead...for what it's worth. However, I don't think the fumble was a legit call. Pride's forward momentum was stopped and he was being driven back about 3 yards when he lost the ball...the whistle should have been blown. Yes X had to move the ball a few more yards and did manage to kick the FG, but all-in-all, that was a bad break for Colerain.

I, too, thought they were going to blow it dead. Tough break for the Cards.

The Colerain folks I was sitting around couldn't believe Coombs kept calling the fullback dive or the check-off down the line. The dive was stuffed and Pride was swallowed up before he took 3 steps...just like in the first game they played against X. Those plays possibly netted maybe one yard a pop, but more often than not, lost a couple of yards. X was very solid up front...why not when you can put 9 bodies in the box (without a passing game to worry about). The pitch-out plays to #27 and #26 were very effective and gained +5 yards a carry. Run those plays until the defense can stop it. Pride did throw 3 times and completed 2 out of 3. One pass was for 1 yard, 1 pass was about 8 yards and had a pass broken up in the end zone (called pass interference on X). IMO, Colerain was just too predictable.

Penalties hurt Colerain all night long, most crucial was the procedure penalty during O/T, when they had the ball inside the 5 yard line. Colerain struggled to get first downs...add a extra 5 or 10 yards to the series...and it was an insurmontable task against X's stingy defense.

The pass to #8 Ashley was like watching a play in slow motion...it seemed like the ball hung in the air forever. There was a collective "gulp" from the Colerain fans and then an explosion of blue onto the field when the ref signaled TD.

It was a great game.

Pride was definitely being pushed back as you say, but he was far from secure; if you could ever get a chance at a replay, he actually stepped over a player in an attempt to free himself when the ball was stripped; plus the whistle didn't blow; therefore, I believe the call was correct.

As far as X's defense, you are correct in that they didn't have to worry about the pass. But in direct contrast to CovCath's defense Friday night, who also play the 3-3 stack, X kept their 3 safteties 8-9 yards off the ball 90% of the time. They were able to read the play and flow the ball freely being so deep. This prevented TD's on the few times that Colerain broke the line of scrimmage and headed up field. They made Colerain line up again and snap the ball rather than giving up the long TD, which Colerain was so capable of.

The Colerain penalty in OT was large, they were going to run the play earlier but St. X called a TO, then they come out and try to run the reverse again and the penaltie nullified it. I think it would have been very interesting since they were running to the wide side.

Does HS OT start at the 20?

I would like to see KY adopt this rule as well.

It puts some strategy in the OT, makes it more exciting, and less likely to go to multiple OTs.

For example, if you have 4th and 1 at the 11 do you kick the FG or go for the first down.

One thing Ohio needs to learn how to do is sell tickets properly. Make tickets $10 for you don't have to make change and have a bunch of people selling them.

Clifford made a mistake at the end and failed to cover #8. If only the Cards could toss the pigskin once in a while. It's hard to believe those guys are only HS'ers, serious speed on both sides of the ball.

Completely incorrect.

Clifford made the right read. He broke to cover the TE, as he should. Unfortunately, the achilles heel of the Cards D this year is the other corner, Henry Lemmons (#2). For some reason, he ALSO broke in and completely left Darius Ashley wide open. If he doesn't have a mental breakdown there, we might still be playing today.

Overall, it WAS a great game. While I am not at all happy about the outcome, it was something to see. If St. Xavier does end up winning the whole thing, it will be the 4th time in 6 years that Colerain has lost to the eventual state champion in the playoffs. Point margins in those games: 3 in '00, 7 in '02, 1 in '03 & 3 in '05.

4 losses by 14 pts to eventual State Champions. And people want to change the offense? :rolleyes:

-CardinalsFan

Completely incorrect.

Clifford made the right read. He broke to cover the TE, as he should. Unfortunately, the achilles heel of the Cards D this year is the other corner, Henry Lemmons (#2). For some reason, he ALSO broke in and completely left Darius Ashley wide open. If he doesn't have a mental breakdown there, we might still be playing today.

Overall, it WAS a great game. While I am not at all happy about the outcome, it was something to see. If St. Xavier does end up winning the whole thing, it will be the 4th time in 6 years that Colerain has lost to the eventual state champion in the playoffs. Point margins in those games: 3 in '00, 7 in '02, 1 in '03 & 3 in '05.

4 losses by 14 pts to eventual State Champions. And people want to change the offense? :rolleyes:

-CardinalsFan

Not change-become more diversified; it they could throw it at all, like last season, Colerain would be virtually unstoppable. Without the threat of the pass, X showed they are very stoppable.

It is not that hard to grasp.