Kentucky 31 South Carolina 28

Bluto

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree completely. I have been one of the biggest Hartline haters around but he has definitely proven me wrong.

We were sitting where all of the ushers congregate in the upper level of the west end zone. They were giving color the entire game and Hartline went from hero to loser to hero to loser, more times than I could count. Mrs. S was dying to keep from falling out of her scooter, laughing.

What a horrible decision by Spurrier. I predicted the INT, but then SC took the timeout & I figured they would just kick the field goal.

11 seconds to go and you've got the ball and you MUST score, or at least not turn the ball over. And a lob to the corner of the end zone is the best play you can come up with? Who knew that Bob Bratkowski was calling the shots for the Gamecocks??

Cats great game, and comeback. I loved see the USC fans faces in the stands. First half and the the second. Cats not having Lock and USC losing their Runing back who killed Bama. Hey, injuries are part of the game. Mississippi State will be a hard game but winable. Vols/Vandy who knows but I like Hartline.

I think it was definately very bad coaching, and arrogance. The time out was the worst, severely limiting what they could do in those 11 seconds. While throwing the ball deep there might get them a win, a sack, interception, or completion short of at TD loses it for them.

I'm guessing during the timeout Spurrier made it clear that the ball had to come out, and he trusted his QB to do that. An interception ends the game whether South Carolina has a timeout or not. Garcia made a bad throw. He could have just as easily done that with a timeout in his pocket and throwing a slant over the middle.

As Mike Hartline goes, so does UK's offense. Like it or not we are very dependent upon Hartline's performances. When he is making the right throws, reading defenses, and playing like he did tonight, UK is a good offensive team. When he presses too much, forces plays, and tries to force the issue UK's offense suffers and we get bad plays that cost us like at Ole Miss. Hartline is not a horrible quarterback by any means, tonight and in select games throughout his career he has demonstrated his abilities. Where Hartline get's in trouble is when he seems to want to force the issue on his passes or tries to do too much.

This isn't to knock Cobb or Locke, both players are the stars of the offense, but with teams continually keying on them and scheming ways to contain both guys (and in times like tonight, only Cobb) Hartline becomes much more important because he has to look for the other options and draw the defenses away from Cobb and Locke. Great performance tonight.

And yes, our defense seems simply confused on the field. I'm not sure why you would be arrogant enough to let a defensive lineman of any sort try to do pass coverage against one of the best young backs in the nation.

As Mike Hartline goes, so does UK's offense. Like it or not we are very dependent upon Hartline's performances. When he is making the right throws, reading defenses, and playing like he did tonight, UK is a good offensive team. When he presses too much, forces plays, and tries to force the issue UK's offense suffers and we get bad plays that cost us like at Ole Miss. Hartline is not a horrible quarterback by any means, tonight and in select games throughout his career he has demonstrated his abilities. Where Hartline get's in trouble is when he seems to want to force the issue on his passes or tries to do too much.

This isn't to knock Cobb or Locke, both players are the stars of the offense, but with teams continually keying on them and scheming ways to contain both guys (and in times like tonight, only Cobb) Hartline becomes much more important because he has to look for the other options and draw the defenses away from Cobb and Locke. Great performance tonight.

And yes, our defense seems simply confused on the field. I'm not sure why you would be arrogant enough to let a defensive lineman of any sort try to do pass coverage against one of the best young backs in the nation.

UK's offense has not been the problem in their loses. It's difficult to score 40 points every week.

I agree that the absence of Lattimore changed the dynamics of the second half. UK had no answer for him in the first half.

I also agree the absence of Locke changed the dynamics of the game. UK passed more and moved the ball down the field more. I think they try to rely on Locke offensively a little too much and that option wasnt there last night.

UK's offense has not been the problem in their loses. It's difficult to score 40 points every week.

Why I simply stated Uk's offense goes as Hartline goes. The team still struggles based upon defensive play. We definately give up too many points. Still, I'd say an easy and silly interception throw against Ole Miss that got run back for a touchdown definately hurt us. Fact is, we know our defense isn't good, thus, offense has to perform. This means more pressure in my opinion on Hartline.

No SEC team is necessarily saying that they just have to stop Mike Hartline when they scheme against UK (at least probably not up to this USC game). Usually these teams are asking how they can prevent the big play capabilities of Locke and Cobb. Still, despite many UK fan's desires that Cobb play all 11 positions on the field, last I checked Cobb can't throw, pass, and run the ball every play. (First half and a lot of the game against USC the WildCobb was quite ineffective). This whole process leads to the fact that Hartline has to be our guy who can distribute the ball effectively and make sure that he gets it to Locke and Cobb at the right times.

Obviously UK's defense is much maligned, but if you know that up front as an offensive player, it means you know that the pressure is on you to perform if you want to win. Last night, Hartline and the whole offense did just enough. South Carolina's offense even got in the giving spirit.

Agree completely. I have been one of the biggest Hartline haters around but he has definitely proven me wrong.

I have to call myself out as well on Hartline. I bashed him as well. I can only hope he will play like he did in this one again.

I was thrilled to see UK finally win one of these type games. I admit that I was just waiting on something to go wrong and to lose another one. I am certainly happy for Joker, he is all Kentucky and deserves it.

It's pretty unbelievable, but if the Cats win out (which is very doable IMO), they have a pretty realistic shot at winning the SEC East. They'd need Florida to go down to either SC or UGA, and SC to lose one more.

Heck of a game, I was so sure that SC was going to find a way to score the TD at the end, and was in shock when the INT was actually made.

It's pretty unbelievable, but if the Cats win out (which is very doable IMO), they have a pretty realistic shot at winning the SEC East. They'd need Florida to go down to either SC or UGA, and SC to lose one more.

Heck of a game, I was so sure that SC was going to find a way to score the TD at the end, and was in shock when the INT was actually made.

Georgia and MSU will be tough. If they get through that they should be able to beat Vandy and UT. I'm really worried about the next two games.