Reds Hot Stove League for 2011

I think they need a big RH bat. Pat Burrell and Jayson Werth are 2 that come to mind...It's simply a matter of if the Reds would be willing to pay them, which IMO they won't.

I think they could afford Burrell. Walt loves bringing in veterans, I could defiently see them go after him, but then again he is a lot like Gomes. Another guy who they could get from FA would be Scott Posednik. He would be solid, come cheap, and could split with Gomes.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea who's available. No one thru FA (that they can realistically get) is an much of an upgrade, IMO. It'll have to come by trade. Chris Young or Upton would be an upgrade over Gomes. I think SS will have to come internally. Not many teams are willing to part with a quality SS.

I agree they'll have to make significant changes through trade. If upgrading the offense is not addressed this winter and is a concern, I'm sure there would be a better selection at the trade deadline, always is. That would also benefit the Reds because it could come through trade. Only problem with that is usually it is more renting a player.

Slightly, I don't feel the price tag would be worth it for him to an "upgrade". Might as well give Dunner 10-12 Mil a year.

I'd rather have Dunn as well, but that's just not going to happen.

Obviously Crawford and Werth are the top guys, but neither are going to come to Cincinnati IMO. If they have to use Gomes virtually everyday again next year, they're in trouble IMO.

I know Volquez is getting a lot of love on here but I worry about him. His control has always been a problem and it is what did him in versus the Phillies. If he can not get better control, he will never be more than a #3 pitcher IMO. Quality #1 pitchers do not have WHIPs over 1.35. Here is how my rotation lines up right now:

1. Arroyo - no brainer.

2. Travis Wood - although not your 95+ heater dominating type, statistically he was the Reds most dominating pitcher this year. He has to be in the rotation next year. Hitters only batted .222 off of Wood. Think about this - Wood's WHIP and BAA were better than Halladay's this year.

3. Volquez

4. Cueto - Close to the same stuff as Volquez but better control and more consistent. He is still only 24 and he has improved every year. 2011 may be his break out season.

5. Bailey - Also only 24 and getting better by leaps and bounds. I really like where is right now and I think he is ready for a solid full season in Cincinnati.

I think they need a big RH bat. Pat Burrell and Jayson Werth are 2 that come to mind...It's simply a matter of if the Reds would be willing to pay them, which IMO they won't.

Pat Burrell? Please tell me you're kidding. Please.

Burrell is not an upgrade over Jonny Gomes, neither offensively nor defensively.

I know Volquez is getting a lot of love on here but I worry about him. His control has always been a problem and it is what did him in versus the Phillies. If he can not get better control, he will never be more than a #3 pitcher IMO. Quality #1 pitchers do not have WHIPs over 1.35. Here is how my rotation lines up right now:

1. Arroyo - no brainer.

2. Travis Wood - although not your 95+ heater dominating type, statistically he was the Reds most dominating pitcher this year. He has to be in the rotation next year. Hitters only batted .222 off of Wood. Think about this - Wood's WHIP and BAA were better than Halladay's this year.

3. Volquez

4. Cueto - Close to the same stuff as Volquez but better control and more consistent. He is still only 24 and he has improved every year. 2011 may be his break out season.

5. Bailey - Also only 24 and getting better by leaps and bounds. I really like where is right now and I think he is ready for a solid full season in Cincinnati.

Volquez definitely struggled with his control this year, but he was 8 months removed from Tommy John surgery. He hadn't even thrown 60 MLB innings before his start in Game 1.

For comparison's sake, Bronson Arroyo had thrown 70 innings by June of this year. Essentially, Volquez is just now getting into "mid season form".

Volquez definitely struggled with his control this year, but he was 8 months removed from Tommy John surgery. He hadn't even thrown 60 MLB innings before his start in Game 1.

For comparison's sake, Bronson Arroyo had thrown 70 innings by June of this year. Essentially, Volquez is just now getting into "mid season form".

It isn't just this year. Volquez has struggled with control his entire career.