Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds Hot Stove League for 2011

Featured Replies

I think they need a big RH bat. Pat Burrell and Jayson Werth are 2 that come to mind...It's simply a matter of if the Reds would be willing to pay them, which IMO they won't.

 

I think they could afford Burrell. Walt loves bringing in veterans, I could defiently see them go after him, but then again he is a lot like Gomes. Another guy who they could get from FA would be Scott Posednik. He would be solid, come cheap, and could split with Gomes.

  • Replies 425
  • Views 43.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no idea who's available. No one thru FA (that they can realistically get) is an much of an upgrade, IMO. It'll have to come by trade. Chris Young or Upton would be an upgrade over Gomes. I think SS will have to come internally. Not many teams are willing to part with a quality SS.

 

I agree they'll have to make significant changes through trade. If upgrading the offense is not addressed this winter and is a concern, I'm sure there would be a better selection at the trade deadline, always is. That would also benefit the Reds because it could come through trade. Only problem with that is usually it is more renting a player.

That would be silly to bring on Burrell, he is Gomes 1.5.

 

He's not ideal, but he's an upgrade over Gomes defensively, and is a bigger bat as well.

He's not ideal, but he's an upgrade over Gomes defensively, and is a bigger bat as well.

 

Slightly, I don't feel the price tag would be worth it for him to an "upgrade". Might as well give Dunner 10-12 Mil a year.

He's not ideal, but he's an upgrade over Gomes defensively, and is a bigger bat as well.
I would be leery of Burrell, given the way he flopped in Tampa Bay, and he isn't much of an upgrade on Gomes if at all, defensively.
Another guy who they could get from FA would be Scott Posednik. He would be solid, come cheap, and could split with Gomes.
I think the rest of the NL Central would love to see that ...
Slightly, I don't feel the price tag would be worth it for him to an "upgrade". Might as well give Dunner 10-12 Mil a year.

 

I'd rather have Dunn as well, but that's just not going to happen.

 

Obviously Crawford and Werth are the top guys, but neither are going to come to Cincinnati IMO. If they have to use Gomes virtually everyday again next year, they're in trouble IMO.

^ Crawford won't be here but I don't see any reason Worth wouldn't. That is if they pony up the money.

^ Crawford won't be here but I don't see any reason Worth wouldn't. That is if they pony up the money.

 

That's the issue. I don't have any confidence that they'll spend what it's going to take to get him in Cincy. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

  • Author

I know Volquez is getting a lot of love on here but I worry about him. His control has always been a problem and it is what did him in versus the Phillies. If he can not get better control, he will never be more than a #3 pitcher IMO. Quality #1 pitchers do not have WHIPs over 1.35. Here is how my rotation lines up right now:

 

1. Arroyo - no brainer.

2. Travis Wood - although not your 95+ heater dominating type, statistically he was the Reds most dominating pitcher this year. He has to be in the rotation next year. Hitters only batted .222 off of Wood. Think about this - Wood's WHIP and BAA were better than Halladay's this year.

3. Volquez

4. Cueto - Close to the same stuff as Volquez but better control and more consistent. He is still only 24 and he has improved every year. 2011 may be his break out season.

5. Bailey - Also only 24 and getting better by leaps and bounds. I really like where is right now and I think he is ready for a solid full season in Cincinnati.

I think they need a big RH bat. Pat Burrell and Jayson Werth are 2 that come to mind...It's simply a matter of if the Reds would be willing to pay them, which IMO they won't.

 

Pat Burrell? Please tell me you're kidding. Please.

 

 

Burrell is not an upgrade over Jonny Gomes, neither offensively nor defensively.

I know Volquez is getting a lot of love on here but I worry about him. His control has always been a problem and it is what did him in versus the Phillies. If he can not get better control, he will never be more than a #3 pitcher IMO. Quality #1 pitchers do not have WHIPs over 1.35. Here is how my rotation lines up right now:

 

1. Arroyo - no brainer.

2. Travis Wood - although not your 95+ heater dominating type, statistically he was the Reds most dominating pitcher this year. He has to be in the rotation next year. Hitters only batted .222 off of Wood. Think about this - Wood's WHIP and BAA were better than Halladay's this year.

3. Volquez

4. Cueto - Close to the same stuff as Volquez but better control and more consistent. He is still only 24 and he has improved every year. 2011 may be his break out season.

5. Bailey - Also only 24 and getting better by leaps and bounds. I really like where is right now and I think he is ready for a solid full season in Cincinnati.

 

Volquez definitely struggled with his control this year, but he was 8 months removed from Tommy John surgery. He hadn't even thrown 60 MLB innings before his start in Game 1.

 

For comparison's sake, Bronson Arroyo had thrown 70 innings by June of this year. Essentially, Volquez is just now getting into "mid season form".

  • Author
Volquez definitely struggled with his control this year, but he was 8 months removed from Tommy John surgery. He hadn't even thrown 60 MLB innings before his start in Game 1.

 

For comparison's sake, Bronson Arroyo had thrown 70 innings by June of this year. Essentially, Volquez is just now getting into "mid season form".

 

It isn't just this year. Volquez has struggled with control his entire career.

It isn't just this year. Volquez has struggled with control his entire career.

 

Not before he got hurt. He had a great season.

Not before he got hurt. He had a great season.

 

4.3 BB/9 IP in 2008

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.