Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds Hot Stove League for 2011

Featured Replies

And was on juice.

 

But who wasn't?

 

I hope Volquez is the guy everyone thinks he can be.

  • Replies 425
  • Views 43.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But who wasn't?

 

I hope Volquez is the guy everyone thinks he can be.

 

He was virtually unhittable in September....I'd say he is well on his way.

I think Volquez is the type of "top of the rotation guy" that everyone here keeps speaking of. Let's not forget, less than a year ago he had Tommy John surgery.

 

And two years ago he was a dominate pitcher. I wouldn't trade any of the young pitchers unless the deal was off the charts good. Do you guys remeber what it was like to not have any pitching? Paul Wilson, Jimmy Haynes, etc. Give these young guys time to develop. I honestly believe that Chapman, Bailey, and Volquez all have Cy Young ability.

 

I think Janish would be fine at short. My concerns are LF and Rolen. I love Rolen but he seemed to age about 10 years in the last month or so.

In order to get that "top rotation guy" its going to take Volquez, plus some.

 

No need to do that when Volquez is a year removed from being one of the best pitchers in the NL. September proved he'll do that again.

 

He beat up on the Pirates and Brewers, then pitched well against the Diamondbacks and the Astros. I would necessarily take that and say he has returned to form. If the right deal comes along for a more proven pitcher and Volquez is part of the deal then I'd do it.

And was on juice.

 

Yup, probably so. It worked out very well though and turns out to have been a great baseball decision. Maybe not the most ethical, but it was brilliant from a baseball standpoint. :lol:

He was virtually unhittable in September....I'd say he is well on his way.

 

Against Pittsburgh, Arizona, Milwaukee, and Houston. Again, I hope so.

Details, details. The guy wanted to have a baby!

Hey if you're gonna be on the DL for 60 days, simultaneously serve your suspension with rehab. Great planning and speedy recovery. Wonder if that will be addressed in the new CBA?

I was just saying those guys could be part of a package or something they could put together. Certainly if your going to acquire a guy like Greinke or Felix then it won't come cheap.

 

But as long as were talking about the Volquez situation, why would you trade a "top of the rotation" guy for a hitter when clearly the Reds need a top of the rotation guy?

 

Because they need hitters more than pitching. Pitching was not the problem during the Phillies sweep. Getting shut out in two games isn't going to win many series.

 

Arroyo did just fine against Oswalt and Cueto did great again Hamels. And outside of the first 2 innings the staff just great against Halladay. Like I said, pitching isn't the problem.

Against Pittsburgh, Arizona, Milwaukee, and Houston. Again, I hope so.

 

And who are 3 of the 5 teams they play the most? Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Houston.

And who are 3 of the 5 teams they play the most? Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Houston.

 

Has nothing to do with it as no one knows what the future holds for any of those teams. At the time he threw against them, they sucked.

Against Pittsburgh, Arizona, Milwaukee, and Houston. Again, I hope so.

 

Apparently Houston is poised to have a breakout season as a poster on here would say. Milwaukee has a very strong lineup. The other two teams, not so much. Who cares who it's against. He dominated for an entire month. That's saying something.

Has nothing to do with it as no one knows what the future holds for any of those teams. At the time he threw against them, they sucked.

 

It's pretty clear what the future holds for Pittsburg. Milwaukee is about to lose one of their better hitters. Houston could be a little better next year, but not much.

Apparently Houston is poised to have a breakout season as a poster on here would say. Milwaukee has a very strong lineup. The other two teams, not so much. Who cares who it's against. He dominated for an entire month. That's saying something.

 

Reds fans should if they want to contend for the NLCS. He threw against two playoff teams during the regular season and pitched well once and got shelled once.

 

I'm beyond the, "I hope the Reds make the playoffs". We should expect more. This isn't a Florida Marlins team that will be dismantled in a few weeks. I'm looking beyond the garbage like the Pirates.

Because they need hitters more than pitching. Pitching was not the problem during the Phillies sweep. Getting shut out in two games isn't going to win many series.

 

Arroyo did just fine against Oswalt and Cueto did great again Hamels. And outside of the first 2 innings the staff just great against Halladay. Like I said, pitching isn't the problem.

 

Didn't the Reds have the NL Triple Crown as a team? Pitching has to be a top priority. The Reds need a #1. What kind of bats are even available that could make a major difference? I guess they could get a guy like Kemp, but I would still rather get that #1. Not only would a #1 be beneficial for the abilities he brings, but I think these young guys would benefit tremendously from a veteran guy. Look at how much Roy helped Hammels.

 

I wouldn't take one series and say everything will be fine b/c their pitching was decent and their offense got shut down. Good pitching beats good offense. The Phillies proved that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.