Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds Hot Stove League for 2011

Featured Replies

I would start off by re-signing Bronson. I have been stewing over what to do with Bronson, and I know that Cincinnati could benefit from using his $12 million elsewhere (read: LF, or SS). But, Bronson is the veteran of a very young staff & you know what he's going to give you. There is plenty of young talent, but I don't think you can let Bronson just walk.

 

The Reds would be in alright shape if Jim Edmonds & Gomes could platoon in LF. But, Edmonds is going to retire. We need to pursue a LF who can hit for average. Gomes should return to a platoon role. He had a great year (1st half better than 2nd, obviously). He's cheap, and he provides a lot of energy. He had a career year, but I like what he brings to the team. It just needs to be in a lesser role if we're going to play past the NLDS.

 

I would keep Alonso in AAA for another year. The guy has talent, but he's just not ready yet. If he has a big year in Louisville, his value will increase. He's not going to get any PT in Cincy, so let him play & see if there are any suitors. I think his MLB contract is really hurting both him & the Reds (in terms of value, at least).

 

I would shop one pitcher: I like Bailey a lot, but he or Cueto is going to be the odd man out, especially if we re-sign Bronson.

 

I would make Chapman a starter and put him down at Louisville. I'd give him an opportunity to crack the rotation, but there's no reason to rush him.

  • Replies 425
  • Views 43.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys are killing me with this potential stuff. Bailey had that same potential 3 years ago. Does he have good stuff, absolutely. But when you can't consistently throw strikes good hitting teams sit back and wait for the fastball.

 

Just so we're clear, everyone is saying that we would keep Volquez over a healthy Webb or Lee?

 

Absolutely I would take Volquez over Brandon Webb. Not over a healthy Cliff Lee, though. But with Cincinnati's budget & players already in place, Cliff Lee will not be a Red. Lee will be a Yankee in a few months.

You guys are killing me with this potential stuff. Bailey had that same potential 3 years ago. Does he have good stuff, absolutely. But when you can't consistently throw strikes good hitting teams sit back and wait for the fastball.

 

Just so we're clear, everyone is saying that we would keep Volquez over a healthy Webb or Lee?

 

Cliff Lee? No chance Cincy is in the running. Who's to say that Brandon Webb will return to form?

I would start off by re-signing Bronson. I have been stewing over what to do with Bronson, and I know that Cincinnati could benefit from using his $12 million elsewhere (read: LF, or SS). But, Bronson is the veteran of a very young staff & you know what he's going to give you. There is plenty of young talent, but I don't think you can let Bronson just walk.

 

The Reds would be in alright shape if Jim Edmonds & Gomes could platoon in LF. But, Edmonds is going to retire. We need to pursue a LF who can hit for average. Gomes should return to a platoon role. He had a great year (1st half better than 2nd, obviously). He's cheap, and he provides a lot of energy. He had a career year, but I like what he brings to the team. It just needs to be in a lesser role if we're going to play past the NLDS.

 

I would keep Alonso in AAA for another year. The guy has talent, but he's just not ready yet. If he has a big year in Louisville, his value will increase. He's not going to get any PT in Cincy, so let him play & see if there are any suitors. I think his MLB contract is really hurting both him & the Reds (in terms of value, at least).

 

I would shop one pitcher: I like Bailey a lot, but he or Cueto is going to be the odd man out, especially if we re-sign Bronson.

 

I would make Chapman a starter and put him down at Louisville. I'd give him an opportunity to crack the rotation, but there's no reason to rush him.

 

Cincinnati might need Chapman in the bullpen next year. There's not a place for him in the rotation, unless he can prove he can be consistant there. If not, put him in the bullpen and shorten games with Chapman, Masset and Cordero. I'm not sure if Rhodes will return or not.

I simply don't get Volquez over Webb. If Volquez is going to be that talented, no way the Reds will be able to keep him.

 

And I know Lee won't be coming here but you guys were saying no way to a Volquez trade even for a "top rotation guy".

 

Also, we've seen how guys come back from TJ surgery.

I simply don't get Volquez over Webb. If Volquez is going to be that talented, no way the Reds will be able to keep him.

 

And I know Lee won't be coming here but you guys were saying no way to a Volquez trade even for a "top rotation guy".

 

In order to get that "top rotation guy" its going to take Volquez, plus some.

 

No need to do that when Volquez is a year removed from being one of the best pitchers in the NL. September proved he'll do that again.

I simply don't get Volquez over Webb. If Volquez is going to be that talented, no way the Reds will be able to keep him.

 

And I know Lee won't be coming here but you guys were saying no way to a Volquez trade even for a "top rotation guy".

 

Also, we've seen how guys come back from TJ surgery.

 

 

Guys bounce back alright from Tommy John surgery. We've seen how they bounce back from shoulder surgery, which is what Webb is coming back from, right?

 

I know we have a Brandon Webb support group on here, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has pitched his last days in the big leagues. I hope he comes to Cincy & does well, but the chances of him making our rotation are very, very slim IMO.

Cincinnati might need Chapman in the bullpen next year. There's not a place for him in the rotation, unless he can prove he can be consistant there. If not, put him in the bullpen and shorten games with Chapman, Masset and Cordero. I'm not sure if Rhodes will return or not.

 

I agree with this. I was thinking that last night. Plus it gives you the option to go to Chapman if Cordero's career ends in mid-season.

Guys bounce back alright from Tommy John surgery. We've seen how they bounce back from shoulder surgery, which is what Webb is coming back from, right?

 

I know we have a Brandon Webb support group on here, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has pitched his last days in the big leagues. I hope he comes to Cincy & does well, but the chances of him making our rotation are very, very slim IMO.

 

Wait! How'd I miss that? Has he had TJ? That changes things, shoulders are different. I apologize, I swore it was TJ.

 

And, for the record, I could not care less where he came from if it means helping the Reds.

Webb, if he ends up in a Red's uni, will be an incentive laden contract and I hope for everyone's sake he meets them all. No way you count on him returning to form. But for small market teams, we have taken worse flyers. If he could return to form, a sinker ball pitcher in that park would be just the ticket. Oh, didn't know if you all were listening, but last night it was announce that GABP was a hitter friendly park. Just to make sure you heard.

Why would you trade away Volquez looking for a top of the rotation guy in return? You're trading away a top of the rotation guy. If Volquez is traded, they better get a quality bat in return.

 

I was just saying those guys could be part of a package or something they could put together. Certainly if your going to acquire a guy like Greinke or Felix then it won't come cheap.

 

But as long as were talking about the Volquez situation, why would you trade a "top of the rotation" guy for a hitter when clearly the Reds need a top of the rotation guy?

Webb, if he ends up in a Red's uni, will be an incentive laden contract and I hope for everyone's sake he meets them all. No way you count on him returning to form. But for small market teams, we have taken worse flyers. If he could return to form, a sinker ball pitcher in that park would be just the ticket. Oh, didn't know if you all were listening, but last night it was announce that GABP was a hitter friendly park. Just to make sure you heard.

 

:thumb: I'm willing to give Webb a small contract with big-time incentives. But, I'm not holding my breath that Brandon will meet any of them. The guy basically hasn't thrown in the league for 2 years. He had shoulder surgery in March 2010. Hopefully for his sake he bounces back, but you simply cannot rely on him to make 10-15 starts, much less win 10-15 games.

 

But as long as were talking about the Volquez situation, why would you trade a "top of the rotation" guy for a hitter when clearly the Reds need a top of the rotation guy?

 

I think Volquez is the type of "top of the rotation guy" that everyone here keeps speaking of. Let's not forget, less than a year ago he had Tommy John surgery.

I think Volquez is the type of "top of the rotation guy" that everyone here keeps speaking of. Let's not forget, less than a year ago he had Tommy John surgery.

And was on juice.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.