Reds Hot Stove League for 2011

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no real upgrade there. Neither player is a plus defensively so lets not pretend you're talking about bringing in a Gold Glove winner. The last 2 seasons Gomes has hit 38 HRs and has 137 RBIs in 885 plate appearance. He has hit .266 with a .497 Slg% and an OB% of .331, his OB+Slg was .828. Burrell's numbers for that same period: 34 HRs and 238 RBIs in 913 plate appearances. He has hit .236 with a .415 Slg% and an OB% of .331, his OB+Slg was .746. He'll definately ask for more money and he's 4 years older than Gomes--where is the upgrade?

The extra 100 runs he produces...

The extra 100 runs he produces...

You saw their numbers from the last 2 seasons, where are you getting he produces 100 runs more per season, or even over 2 seasons? He turned 34 yesterday, he's past his prime. What he has produced the last couple of seasons is what you're going to get from him. Those numbers are very similar to Gomes and they'll cost the Reds a lot more money than picking up Gomes' option. Gomes has outproduced him in every major offensive stat category the last 2 seasons except OB% and they are equal. Present something to back up what you say......or did a Cincy cop tell you Burrell is an upgrade?

You saw their numbers from the last 2 seasons, where are you getting he produces 100 runs more per season, or even over 2 seasons? He turned 34 yesterday, he's past his prime. What he has produced the last couple of seasons is what you're going to get from him. Those numbers are very similar to Gomes and they'll cost the Reds a lot more money than picking up Gomes' option. Gomes has outproduced him in every major offensive stat category the last 2 seasons except OB% and they are equal. Present something to back up what you say......or did a Cincy cop tell you Burrell is an upgrade?

You should probably go back and fix your first post. It does say he has produced an extra 100 runs. Although, its a typo.

You should probably go back and fix your first post. It does say he has produced an extra 100 runs. Although, its a typo.

You're correct, it should be 128 RBIs for Burrell the last 2 seasons, not 238. so the first post numbers should read:

The last 2 seasons Gomes has hit 38 HRs and has 137 RBIs in 885 plate appearance. He has hit .266 with a .497 Slg% and an OB% of .331, his OB+Slg was .828. Burrell's numbers for that same period: 34 HRs and 128 RBIs in 913 plate appearances. He has hit .236 with a .415 Slg% and an OB% of .331, his OB+Slg was .746.

So with those numbers, where is the upgrade?

So I'll take it that you have no good basis for Burrell as an upgrade over Gomes given their prices?

Other than his career averages are .254 with 30 HR's 100 RBIs and .837 OPS compared to Gomes .247 with 25 HR's 79 RBIs and .790 OPS as well as his upgrade defensively, nope.

Other than his career averages are .254 with 30 HR's 100 RBIs and .837 OPS compared to Gomes .247 with 25 HR's 79 RBIs and .790 OPS as well as his upgrade defensively, nope.

Career averages mean nothing when you are talking about a player like Burrell that is 34 and not likely to ever reach those averages again. Look if Gomes were just as expensive I wouldn't have a problem with it but he will cost more and he just isn't an upgrade at this point in his career. The Phillies and Rays were both World Series contenders and they've both let him go the last 2 seasons--that should be telling.

Career averages mean nothing when you are talking about a player like Burrell that is 34 and not likely to ever reach those averages again. Look if Gomes were just as expensive I wouldn't have a problem with it but he will cost more and he just isn't an upgrade at this point in his career. The Phillies and Rays were both World Series contenders and they've both let him go the last 2 seasons--that should be telling.

The Phillies let him go because they had a more than adequate replacement in Ibanez or Werth.

Just two seasons ago, his last full season, he had just completed 4 straight seasons where he averaged 31 HRs & 99 RBIs.

The Tampa stint was a disaster, but since joining the Giants he's went right back to that pace of production.

I'm with this guy. And as much as I believe that we need another right-handed bat to slot into the 4 hole, I'm not sure if we can get by without the spark and passion that Gomes plays and leads with. Give me an Adam Dunn or a Jason Bay though (somebody who's definitely an upgrade production wise), and I'd be all for it.