Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds Hot Stove League for 2011

Featured Replies

This past season is fresh in our minds so let's look at the good, bad and ugly from 2010 with an eye toward 2011. What moves need to be made to get the Reds into being a serious contender for the World Series?

  • Replies 425
  • Views 43.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in the previous thread the Reds are extremely deep in starting (and young) pitching. 7 MLB quality pitchers for 5 spots.

 

I'd dangle Volquez to see what they can get in return.

They have 8 starters for 5 spots, assuming the bring back Bronson, which I think they will.

 

I see Bailey as the odd man out next year, and would love to see what they'd be able to get in return for a package of Homer and Yonder Alonso. Would that be enough to entice a sign & trade type deal with the Rays for Crawford? Probably not, but he's definitely the best available at their weakest position.

They have 8 starters for 5 spots, assuming the bring back Bronson, which I think they will.

 

I see Bailey as the odd man out next year, and would love to see what they'd be able to get in return for a package of Homer and Yonder Alonso. Would that be enough to entice a sign & trade type deal with the Rays for Crawford? Probably not, but he's definitely the best available at their weakest position.

 

They need a right handed bat so I'd say Crawford isn't the best fit for the Reds. I really think they may let Bronson walk if they don't make a trade. Homer Bailey is a lock for the roatation IMO.

  • Author
They have 8 starters for 5 spots, assuming the bring back Bronson, which I think they will.

 

I see Bailey as the odd man out next year, and would love to see what they'd be able to get in return for a package of Homer and Yonder Alonso. Would that be enough to entice a sign & trade type deal with the Rays for Crawford? Probably not, but he's definitely the best available at their weakest position.

 

Zero need for sign and trade in baseball for a free agent. You are just giving assets away. If you want Crawford, go sign him.

 

I would hate to let go of Bailey just when he is getting it. I do think the Reds will make some pitching deals this winter with all the extra young pitchers. Any deal they make has to be to get a #1 level pitcher. They could package 2-3 youngsters and have enough to get that #1 IMO.

  • Author
They need a right handed bat so I'd say Crawford isn't the best fit for the Reds. I really think they may let Bronson walk if they don't make a trade. Homer Bailey is a lock for the roatation IMO.

 

Jocketty has already gone on record saying the Reds will pick up Bronson's option. They are supposedly talking contract extension. If that is true, they better not go more than 3 years. It would be nice to get it to a 2 year deal but no way Arroyo goes for that.

Would that be enough to entice a sign & trade type deal with the Rays for Crawford? Probably not, but he's definitely the best available at their weakest position.

 

No way the #1 FA comes to Cincinnati.

Z

 

I would hate to let go of Bailey just when he is getting it. I do think the Reds will make some pitching deals this winter with all the extra young pitchers. Any deal they make has to be to get a #1 level pitcher. They could package 2-3 youngsters and have enough to get that #1 IMO.

 

What #1s from a non-contending team are there that could be gotten for a package of youngsters? No contending team is giving up a #1.

  • Author
What #1s from a non-contending team are there that could be gotten for a package of youngsters? No contending team is giving up a #1.

 

I haven't thought about the options at all and maybe there isn't one. But unless you get a #1, don't make a deal giving up the young talent. Let them battle it out in the spring and see what happens.

What #1s from a non-contending team are there that could be gotten for a package of youngsters? No contending team is giving up a #1.

 

Only guys I can think of are Zach Grienke, King Felix, and depending on whether you consider the Marlins contenders, Josh Johnson. The only one I could see having a remote chance of being moved out of that group is Grienke though.

No way the #1 FA comes to Cincinnati.

 

Are you saying no way because the Reds can't afford the #1 free agent or no way they would sign with the Reds because it's Cincinnati? I agree with the former, but not the latter.

Jocketty has already gone on record saying the Reds will pick up Bronson's option. They are supposedly talking contract extension. If that is true, they better not go more than 3 years. It would be nice to get it to a 2 year deal but no way Arroyo goes for that.

 

I'm so torn on Bronson. He's nails. He's good for at least 15 wins and 220 innings, but they might be better off letting him go or trading him especially if the Brandon Webb talk that has been on here for a long time comes true. If they can get Webb they don't need Bronson. Homer Bailey is going to be a starter here next year.

I think that Bronson may choose to go elsewhere if the $ isn't what he wants. What is his status exactly? Club option? For how much?

Rolen worries me at 3rd. He made it through this season in good health. Which leads me to doubt he can pull it off two seasons in a row.

I think Bronson's deal is a club option for 11-12 million. The Reds biggest need IMO is a leadoff hitter. I don't care which side he bats from but we need a lead off hitter in the worst way.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.