Reds Hot Stove League for 2011

Top needs for the Reds IMO:

Back up 3rd baseman. No way you can count on Rolen to play healthy all year.

LF- Gomes just isn't a starter.

I think they'll also look to see what Alonso and Volquez can get. Maybe a solid top of the rotation guy, which is something they need bad.

SS is a position they also need to look at.

Should be interesting to see what needs they address. They don't have the money to get guys, but certainly have the prospects to deal.

Why would you trade away Volquez looking for a top of the rotation guy in return? You're trading away a top of the rotation guy. If Volquez is traded, they better get a quality bat in return.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you trade away Volquez looking for a top of the rotation guy in return? You're trading away a top of the rotation guy. If Volquez is traded, they better get a quality bat in return.

I agree. And it should be TOP quality. Volquez is just a pup.

Only guys I can think of are Zach Grienke, King Felix, and depending on whether you consider the Marlins contenders, Josh Johnson. The only one I could see having a remote chance of being moved out of that group is Grienke though.
Not a chance in hell the Marlins give up JJ for that or practically anything. They are moving into a new stadium in 2012 and if for no other reason they wouldn't move a borderline ace for that package.

They have 8 starters for 5 spots, assuming the bring back Bronson, which I think they will.

I see Bailey as the odd man out next year, and would love to see what they'd be able to get in return for a package of Homer and Yonder Alonso. Would that be enough to entice a sign & trade type deal with the Rays for Crawford? Probably not, but he's definitely the best available at their weakest position.

You don't know much about baseball FA do you? :lol:

Not a chance in hell the Marlins give up JJ for that or practically anything. They are moving into a new stadium in 2012 and because of that they wouldn't move a borderline ace for that package.

I didn't necessarily say for that package, just that those were top of rotation caliber guys on non-contending teams. As I also said, there's no chance they could get either Felix or Johnson.

I did not know there was a rule against them in MLB, no. Stupid rule though IMO.

I just wish I had your vast knowledge on the process...:lol:

Maybe you start out small and wish for a little knowledge on the subject.

Come on dmd, he had a horrific outing against Halladay, he's got to go!!!!!!:lol:

As I said in the previous thread the Reds are extremely deep in starting (and young) pitching. 7 MLB quality pitchers for 5 spots.

I'd dangle Volquez to see what they can get in return.

I would dangle every pitcher but Volquez and Chapman. Why trade away a pitcher that has the potential to be dominant? If this series taught us anything, it's that dominant pitching wins. Volquez has the potential to be an elite starter in the league.

I'm so torn on Bronson. He's nails. He's good for at least 15 wins and 220 innings, but they might be better off letting him go or trading him especially if the Brandon Webb talk that has been on here for a long time comes true. If they can get Webb they don't need Bronson. Homer Bailey is going to be a starter here next year.

Brandon Webb may be in Cincinnati next year, but I find it highly unlikely that he'll be in the starting rotation. I'd give him an opportunity to crack the rotation, but there's no way you can rely on him.

I would dangle every pitcher but Volquez and Chapman. Why trade away a pitcher that has the potential to be dominant? If this series taught us anything, it's that dominant pitching wins. Volquez has the potential to be an elite starter in the league.

Here are the Reds potentially dominating starting pitchers: Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Chapman

Here are their non dominating starting pitchers: Arroyo, Leake, Wood, Maloney

You guys are killing me with this potential stuff. Bailey had that same potential 3 years ago. Does he have good stuff, absolutely. But when you can't consistently throw strikes good hitting teams sit back and wait for the fastball.

Just so we're clear, everyone is saying that we would keep Volquez over a healthy Webb or Lee?