Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds Hot Stove League for 2011

Featured Replies

Reds fans should if they want to contend for the NLCS. He threw against two playoff teams during the regular season and pitched well once and got shelled once.

 

I'm beyond the, "I hope the Reds make the playoffs". We should expect more. This isn't a Florida Marlins team that will be dismantled in a few weeks. I'm looking beyond the garbage like the Pirates.

 

Like I said, the pitching was fine in the NLDS. The offense and defense lost the series.

  • Replies 425
  • Views 43.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't the Reds have the NL Triple Crown as a team? Pitching has to be a top priority. The Reds need a #1. What kind of bats are even available that could make a major difference? I guess they could get a guy like Kemp, but I would still rather get that #1. Not only would a #1 be beneficial for the abilities he brings, but I think these young guys would benefit tremendously from a veteran guy. Look at how much Roy helped Hammels.

 

Cole Hamels was already very, very good before either Roy arrived. His numbers were actually fairly similar, although he struggled a bit last year.

Didn't the Reds have the NL Triple Crown as a team? Pitching has to be a top priority. The Reds need a #1. What kind of bats are even available that could make a major difference? I guess they could get a guy like Kemp, but I would still rather get that #1. Not only would a #1 be beneficial for the abilities he brings, but I think these young guys would benefit tremendously from a veteran guy. Look at how much Roy helped Hammels.

 

I wouldn't take one series and say everything will be fine b/c their pitching was decent and their offense got shut down. Good pitching beats good offense. The Phillies proved that.

 

Hamels was good before Halladay got there. Their pitching was far more than decent. Gave up what 2 earned runs in game 2? 1 in game 3? That should be more than enough to win playoff games. They need to improve their hitting.

1.2IP, 4H, 4ER

 

Obviously they got no-hit but they lost 4-0 so......

I did not know there was a rule against them in MLB, no. Stupid rule though IMO.

 

I just wish I had your vast knowledge on the process...:lol:

It's not vast knowledge...just a small understanding of the process. It's easier to obtain knowledge when you don't pretend to already have it all. :D
1.2IP, 4H, 4ER

 

Obviously they got no-hit but they lost 4-0 so......

 

And if Cabrera had just thrown the ball to first instead of trying to make a tough flip to second the line would have been different. Also had Gomes not dove for Halladay's single he had a pretty good chance at throwing out Phillies Catcher. Halladay's hit was a one hopper right at him with a slow runner on the bases.

 

Those don't go down as errors but they change the outcome. The 'best' offensive and defensive team in the league let their pitchers down this series. Plain and simple

Wait! How'd I miss that? Has he had TJ? That changes things, shoulders are different. I apologize, I swore it was TJ.

 

And, for the record, I could not care less where he came from if it means helping the Reds.

 

 

No he didn't have Tommy John. He had a minimally evassive cleaning out of his shoulder.

No he didn't have Tommy John. He had a minimally evassive cleaning out of his surgery.
Um, of his shoulder. Your fingers need to get on Jenny Craig.
Hamels was good before Halladay got there. Their pitching was far more than decent. Gave up what 2 earned runs in game 2? 1 in game 3? That should be more than enough to win playoff games. They need to improve their hitting.

 

Hammels said himself he got better by watching Doc and his work ethic.

 

Based of one series where everyone, including Votto, was no where to be found? That's a very small sample size. I'd rather look at the regular season and see that they have a lot of guys who can and have proven they can hit. While upgrading a position or two may be necessary to the offense, if I'm going to give away a player like Alonso or Volquez or Bailey then I'd better get a guy who can win me some post season games like Halladay and Hammels just did.

 

Great hitters get shut down in the playoffs all the time. Look at Votto. Great pitchers are hard to come by and usually if you have one on your team your chance for success in the playoffs is greater.

 

You seem pretty set on upgrading the offense before pitching, which is fine. I'll just have to disagree and say the Reds won't win a championship if the top of their rotation is the same.

Hammels said himself he got better by watching Doc and his work ethic.

 

Based of one series where everyone, including Votto, was no where to be found? That's a very small sample size. I'd rather look at the regular season and see that they have a lot of guys who can and have proven they can hit. While upgrading a position or two may be necessary to the offense, if I'm going to give away a player like Alonso or Volquez or Bailey then I'd better get a guy who can win me some post season games like Halladay and Hammels just did.

 

Great hitters get shut down in the playoffs all the time. Look at Votto. Great pitchers are hard to come by and usually if you have one our your team your chance for success in the playoffs is greater.

 

You seem pretty set on upgrading the offense before pitching, which is fine. I'll just have to disagree and say the Reds won't win a championship if the top of their rotation is the same.

 

Look at their offense in August and September. Pretty terrible with the exception of Votto, Bruce and possibly Stubbs.

 

Sure having guys like Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels is nice. But Arroyo and Cueto matched them pitch for pitch. Actually Arroyo outpitched Oswalt. One swing of the bat was the only earned run Cueto gave up against a very, very good offense.

 

Not to mention the fact that Cincinnati simply can't afford a guy like Halladay or Oswalt. I'd love to have either in a Reds uniform, but Cincinnati has to work with what they can and IMO what they've got on the pitching side is good enough to win playoff games.

Look at their offense in August and September. Pretty terrible with the exception of Votto, Bruce and possibly Stubbs.

 

Sure having guys like Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels is nice. But Arroyo and Cueto matched them pitch for pitch. Actually Arroyo outpitched Oswalt. One swing of the bat was the only earned run Cueto gave up against a very, very good offense.

 

Not to mention the fact that Cincinnati simply can't afford a guy like Halladay or Oswalt. I'd love to have either in a Reds uniform, but Cincinnati has to work with what they can and IMO what they've got on the pitching side is good enough to win playoff games.

 

So who would be a logical fit offensively that could help them?

So who would be a logical fit offensively that could help them?

 

I think they need a big RH bat. Pat Burrell and Jayson Werth are 2 that come to mind...It's simply a matter of if the Reds would be willing to pay them, which IMO they won't.

So who would be a logical fit offensively that could help them?

 

I have no idea who's available. No one thru FA (that they can realistically get) is an much of an upgrade, IMO. It'll have to come by trade. Chris Young or Upton would be an upgrade over Gomes. I think SS will have to come internally. Not many teams are willing to part with a quality SS.

Um, of his shoulder. Your fingers need to get on Jenny Craig.

 

 

My fingers are fine. My brain needs to get on Jenny Craig.

I think they need a big RH bat. Pat Burrell and Jayson Werth are 2 that come to mind...It's simply a matter of if the Reds would be willing to pay them, which IMO they won't.

 

That would be silly to bring on Burrell, he is Gomes 1.5.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.