Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reds Hot Stove League for 2011

Featured Replies

Given the fact that he'll be 36 around opening day next season and acheived his highest total of games played, homers and RBIs since 2006 it isn't a good bet that he'll be better in 2011 than in 2010.

 

He obviously can't play as many games as he did this year. Franscisco and him should be in a platoon of some sort. 3 or 4 days a week for Scott.

  • Replies 425
  • Views 43.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He obviously can't play as many games as he did this year. Franscisco and him should be in a platoon of some sort. 3 or 4 days a week for Scott.

 

That would be an ideal situation. When he was healthy he was as effective as ever. With his injury history and age he just can't be overworked. Still a very good player but ideally will play around 115-120 games.

That would be an ideal situation. When he was healthy he was as effective as ever. With his injury history and age he just can't be overworked. Still a very good player but ideally will play around 115-120 games.

 

It became painfully obvious down the stretch and in the playoffs.

He played 133 this season....Would the extra 13 games off really make that much difference at this point?

He played 133 this season....Would the extra 13 games off really make that much difference at this point?

 

It can't hurt plus we need to find out what we have in Francisco for the future or at least get some sort of an idea.

It can't hurt plus we need to find out what we have in Francisco for the future or at least get some sort of an idea.

 

What I'm saying is that's way too many still...Rolen should strictly be a platoon guy at this point IMO.

I told Spindoc at lunch today this is how I think the Reds should do. First and foremost they need to try and sign Votto to a long term contract. If he doesn't want to sign a long term deal then I tell him fine, but you are now our LF. We have a guy who is going to be our future 1B in Alonzo, and we need you to play LF the rest of your contract.

 

IF th Reds think that Votto is not going to re-sign long-term or they think they can't afford him THEN I'm OK with it. However, that would mean the Reds would likely be worse next year. I'm not convinced Alonzo will put up the numbers Gomes did this year. Unproven til proven.

What I'm saying is that's way too many still...Rolen should strictly be a platoon guy at this point IMO.

 

Cutting another 13-18 games off his workload pretty much eliminates him having to play a day game after a night game at all and gives him another 2-3 days off a month. As far as a platoon that would be okay but since he's a righthander how do you split it up? He doesn't have to be held under 100 games or anything he should be treated more like a catcher as far as rest goes.

So, I'd be willing to package Rolen, Gomes and maybe even someone like Leake to get Zimmerman.
I'm sure you would ... good luck getting the Nationals not to laugh that proposal out of the room.

it's gonna take the young talent to get what we need. I think were all to quick to pull the plug rolen as the primary third basemen next year. Had the reds not acquired him last year I don't think were the same team and I don't think we make the playoffs. As much as we would like to get a stud at third I doubt rolen is ready to give the spot up totally.

it's gonna take the young talent to get what we need. I think were all to quick to pull the plug rolen as the primary third basemen next year. Had the reds not acquired him last year I don't think were the same team and I don't think we make the playoffs. As much as we would like to get a stud at third I doubt rolen is ready to give the spot up totally.

 

Rolen is a warrior and a leader. However, he tried to be an everyday player this season and was unproductive the second half. He has a litany of physical problems and hasn't topped 20 HRs or 90 RBIs since 2006. You just cannot count on him to be an every day middle of the lineup guy.

Someone mentioned earlier about Rolen playing 4 days a week and Francisco playing 3. I agree that would be a good way to see if Francisco is going to be able to play at this level. I hope Rolen comes back and can stay healthy and help lead this team again.

One thing to think about with the current prospects, is the number of potential left handed bats that could be in the lineup. If the situation presents itself that has Votto and Alonso in the lineup as well as Fransico and Bruce that is 4 leftys.

That highlights the importance of getting a power hitting RH bat during the off season.

So if I'm reading things right, if the Reds were to cut Harang, Cabrera, and Gomes loose, they'd be freeing up roughly $15M from the payroll.

 

A free agent to be that hasn't been mentioned is Magglio Ordonez. I've read he'd like to stay in Detroit, but they've just declined his team option for 2011. Could he be a guy the Reds could look at for say a 2 year deal worth a base of 10-12M a year with incentives that could take it closer to 14M?

 

Another name available is Juan Uribe. He made 3.25M this past season, so I think it'd be realistic to think they could get him for somewhere around 5-6M a year for a couple seasons.

 

Now I realize these are probably unlikely, but if they were to increase the payroll a bit, they'd be able to afford something like this and still manage to hold on to their arbritration eligible players.

 

Could you imagine a lineup of:

 

Stubbs CF

Phillips 2B

Votto 1B

Ordonez LF

Bruce RF

Rolen 3B

Uribe SS

Hernandez/Hanigan C

^That would be a legit lineup but I can't see it happening.

 

Based off of Jocketty's trade history, I think he is more of the kind of guy who won't mess with a team too much who has had success, then go get someone mid season or spring training if there is a sign of trouble. Jocketty likes to get role players, or guys who will help the team a lot throughout the season, but you wouldn't know it on paper.

 

That's just my opinion on how Jocketty likes to work. With the limited amount of $ I just can't see anything drastic going on this winter in Cincinnati.

That 15 Million is already be put back into other players salaries. It's not like it is just 15 Mil free to spend anywhere.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.