September 24, 201016 yr Why is that a good thing? Why should I have to pay more when I am healthy because someone that isn't healthy is in the same pool? Shouldn't your health insurance premiums be based on you and your history and not everyone? So if everyone bought insurance based on their own history that would defeat the purpose of insurance which is the pooling of money to protect against catastrophic events. In your scenario, a family that had one member diagnosed with cancer could never afford the insurance premiums to keep up with their outgoing and ongoing costs.
September 24, 201016 yr When you have to cover high risk people and pre-existing conditions it makes sense that costs are going to go up. A lot. Agreed. However, I'm guessing that once the younger and healthier become part of the pool then the new costs can be spread out over more people which should lower the cost. I assume those folks were not figured into the new rates.
September 24, 201016 yr So if everyone bought insurance based on their own history that would defeat the purpose of insurance which is the pooling of money to protect against catastrophic events. In your scenario, a family that had one member diagnosed with cancer could never afford the insurance premiums to keep up with their outgoing and ongoing costs. That's not what I am saying, at least not to that extreme. I think it should be much like car insurance. High risk people should pay more and low risk pay less. If you are obese, smoke, diabetic, w/ high blood pressure is it fair you pay the same monthly premium as someone who is healthy? To me it's no different then a person with a prefect driving record pays less per month for car insurance as a person with a DUI, speeding tickets, and multiple wrecks.
September 24, 201016 yr That's not what I am saying, at least not to that extreme. I think it should be much like car insurance. High risk people should pay more and low risk pay less. If you are obese, smoke, diabetic, w/ high blood pressure is it fair you pay the same monthly premium as someone who is healthy? To me it's no different then a person with a prefect driving record pays less per month for car insurance as a person with a DUI, speeding tickets, and multiple wrecks. I understand. It is that way in the individual health insurance market, and not like that in the group health insurance market.
September 24, 201016 yr I suspect existing policy holders are going to see a lot of changes in copays, premiums, deductibles, flexibility, provider access and other ways we haven't even considered. Considering the large percentage of people who currently have policies, there are going to be some unhappy people out there in the coming months/years. I realize that there is going to be another group who are much happier in that time. Are those figures comparable? I don't think so. It's already happening. I already have had to tell those working for me, that their rates will be increasing by 25% and we will no longer offer either PPO or HMO plans. HSA plans will be the only ones available. The rates we pay as a company, even with our limited offerings, still are increasing by 36%. With economy the way it is, our revenue is off more that 40% from a year ago. Because of heathcare costs, it's now actually cheaper to have people work overtime than to employ more people.
September 24, 201016 yr Agreed. However, I'm guessing that once the younger and healthier become part of the pool then the new costs can be spread out over more people which should lower the cost. I assume those folks were not figured into the new rates. The question becomes which group will dominate? My guess is the higher risk population will be larger than those younger healthier people. I'd love to see some numbers.
September 24, 201016 yr It's already happening. I already have had to tell those working for me, that their rates will be increasing by 25% and we will no longer offer either PPO or HMO plans. HSA plans will be the only ones available. The rates we pay as a company, even with our limited offerings, still are increasing by 36%. With economy the way it is, our revenue is off more that 40% from a year ago. Because of heathcare costs, it's now actually cheaper to have people work overtime than to employ more people. Yep, we've already had some interesting discussions with owners, management and insurance agents.
September 24, 201016 yr It's already happening. I already have had to tell those working for me, that their rates will be increasing by 25% and we will no longer offer either PPO or HMO plans. HSA plans will be the only ones available. The rates we pay as a company, even with our limited offerings, still are increasing by 36%. With economy the way it is, our revenue is off more that 40% from a year ago. Because of heathcare costs, it's now actually cheaper to have people work overtime than to employ more people. HSA plans are brutal for families with young kids.
September 24, 201016 yr HSA plans are brutal for families with young kids. Their brutal for anybody on a multiple maintenance drugs, too. If you can't make your deductible every year, everything is out of pocket.
September 24, 201016 yr Their brutal for anybody on a multiple maintenance drugs, too. If you can't make your deductible every year, everything is out of pocket. We were lucky enough to have the option of an HSA or PPO/HMO. I think most single employees who are fairly healthy and don't have kids selected the HSA.
September 24, 201016 yr Why is that a good thing? Why should I have to pay more when I am healthy because someone that isn't healthy is in the same pool? Shouldn't your health insurance premiums be based on you and your history and not everyone? That is not how health insurance works now. Right now your premiums reflect the pool and the pool is small because younger healthier people are not in it. It sounds like you are opposed to health insurance, which spreads the cost over a group of people. If you don't like that theory (the general you) then opt out and due a fee for services with your doctor.
September 24, 201016 yr That is not how health insurance works now. Right now your premiums reflect the pool and the pool is small because younger healthier people are not in it. It sounds like you are opposed to health insurance, which spreads the cost over a group of people. If you don't like that theory (the general you) then opt out and due a fee for services with your doctor. They will be fined if they do that...............
September 24, 201016 yr That is not how health insurance works now. Right now your premiums reflect the pool and the pool is small because younger healthier people are not in it. It sounds like you are opposed to health insurance, which spreads the cost over a group of people. If you don't like that theory (the general you) then opt out and due a fee for services with your doctor. About 16 million people fall into the category you mentioned. Not sure how many are "healthy" but it is probably 90% of that number. So about 14 million on 340 million insured? Not sure how much that affects the rates.
September 24, 201016 yr About 16 million people fall into the category you mentioned. Not sure how many are "healthy" but it is probably 90% of that number. So about 14 million on 340 million insured? Not sure how much that affects the rates. Depends on the census area, and if it the insurers follow market principles, every healthy body added should drop premiums for all others.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.