Highlands vs Ryle: Take 2

Both teams’ players will come to play for sure. The question is whether the Ryle coaching staff will be on their game. What are they going to do in the first series if it’s 4th and 1 on their own 35 yard line? Are they going to punt or go for it? Ryle needs to be patient and not go all in early in the game.

Hemple IMO unlike the last game against Covington Catholic is going to have to go both ways a decent portion of the game if Ryle is going to contain the Birds passing game. Not the best scenario for a good QB to be placed in.

None of these teams should underestimate the opposing QB’s ability to run the football. Hemple demonstrated it last game and Towles has proven he can also run a little.

I think the overall balance of Highlands is a little better and will result in a victory for Highlands over a very good Ryle team.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If teams gear up to stop Elliott (which I think HHS will try to do) that is going to put a lot of pressure on their DB's and against Hempel rolling out running and/or throwing the ball.

This sounds kind of like the HHS strategy of last year, except the HHS DBs have one more year of experience.

Edited by Birdsfan

I'm curious to know why you think that if Ryle passes the ball more than 10-12 times, they will be in trouble. Hempel is, I think, an expectional passing QB. Surely they have to have at least a couple of adequate receivers on their team. I'd think that Warner would come into the game thinking they'd pass the ball 50% of the time. Even if they only have adequate success passing the ball (I'd expect more than adequate results), it does loosen up the run defense. What's your thinking if you don't mind me asking?

VOR hit the main points of my argument. I think Ryle wants to keep Mr. Towles on the sidelines as much as possible.

If they get into a shootout scenario with Highlands I think Ryle is in deep trouble.

Don't get me wrong I think Ryle's offense is very good. I also think that Hempel has the potential to be a very good passing QB. However, their offense is set up as run first. Hempel has been successful throwing in play action, but in the Dixie scrimmage when they just "dropped" back to throw they didn't seem to be in sync. During the CovCath game when Ryle ran the play action, Hempel looked to run first, and threw only when absolutely necessary. Ryle offense is designed to run Elliot, then boot leg run to Hempel, then change of pace to Mullins and lastly to throw. If Ryle is forced to throw, that tells me their running game is not being effective, and thus takes away their main passing game (play action) as well.

If Ryle is chucking it 20 times or more against Highlands, they are playing from behind. I just don't think their passing game is nearly as developed as their run game. If you force a team to their 3rd or 4th best option on offense, chances are you have them right where you want them.

I don't expect Ryle to throw alot because I think HHS's strength on defense is thier secondary. I think Burns(sp)? and Abner maybe their two best players. This game will be interesting and only a fool would pick against the birds at home, but I think this week will find the birds in some unfamiliar territory. IMO the two best players on the field will be on the opposing team, the Raiders will be just as well conditioned and won't be begging to come out of the game in the mid-second quarter like some guys from Manual were and the most certaintly will not be intimidated playing at HHS. I think this game will be a challenge for HHS because Ryle's O-line is lean, tall and athletic, kind of in the HHS mold if you will, so the speed of HHS's D-line may not bother them as much. I predict a fairly highscoring and hardhitting game. It will be a great one to watch.

Plausible support for the position. It will be interesting to see if Hempel and Elliott end up playing defense. I know they didn't play much if any defense against CovCath but I think Highlands O is much further along than CovCath's O. So Warner may feel he has to play those two (and others?) both ways. If that happens, then the conditioning balance shifts to Highlands.

I just think Ryle is going to have to pass the ball regularly to stop the Highlands D from packing the LOS. Maybe 10-12 is enough passes to prevent such. I don't think it will be and that's why I think Ryle will pass the ball more. When you have a QB that can pass the ball as well as Hempel and don't exploit those capabilities, you are shooting yourself in the foot. I don't care if you use the run to set up the pass or use the pass to set up the run, but when you can do both, you're crazy not to do both. Bruns and Abner are both very good DBS; I agree with you. But Highlands run defense isn't chopped liver either. I'm not sure I'm willing to state that the strength of their defense is their secondary. All phases looked extremely good Friday night and with 3 starting LBers from last year out there again this year, some could argue legitimately that the strength of the D is the LBing corps. I'll be absolutely stunned if Ryle can just line up and run Elliott and Hempel down Highlands throat without keeping the Birds D honest by regularly passing the ball.

As for Ryle's O line, I've noticed over the last two years a change in the body style of their linemen. As recently as 07, they still went with the big bodies, muscular but slow types. I noticed it wasn't that way last year. It will be interesting to see their matchup against Highlands D line and LBers. Based on the score only (which is all I've got to use but realize it's not necessarily accurate) it doesn't seem that Ryle had all that much success running the ball against CovCath in the first half, but did so much more effectively in the second half. I don't know if that was because it took a while for the Ryle O line to come together or because CovCath tired. If the latter, I don't see that happening with Highlands D.

I further disagree that the two best players on the field are on Ryle's team. I like both Hempel and Elliott a lot (assuming that's whom you meant). Likewise I like Towles and Compton a lot. Compton's "bad luck" was playing at a program that always has a lot of RB talent that usually prevents sophomores from seeing the field at the RB spot and his being needed on D last year. If Compton had been the featured RB for the last two years at Highlands, he'd be getting the love that Elliott has. I'm not close to conceding that Elliott is the better running back of the two. I'm a big fan of Hempel. The kid is a talent. But other than Hempel having more game experience than Towles, they are even in ability in my opinion. Actually, Towles may be able to throw the long ball better than Hempel, but that may only be because Highlands works on it so much. I think Towles' deficiency in game experience is negated by the fact that he has better receivers to work with.

We'll see soon enough I guess and I do agree with you that it will be a great game to watch.

Edited by leatherneck

VOR hit the main points of my argument. I think Ryle wants to keep Mr. Towles on the sidelines as much as possible.

If they get into a shootout scenario with Highlands I think Ryle is in deep trouble.

Don't get me wrong I think Ryle's offense is very good. I also think that Hempel has the potential to be a very good passing QB. However, their offense is set up as run first. Hempel has been successful throwing in play action, but in the Dixie scrimmage when they just "dropped" back to throw they didn't seem to be in sync. During the CovCath game when Ryle ran the play action, Hempel looked to run first, and threw only when absolutely necessary. Ryle offense is designed to run Elliot, then boot leg run to Hempel, then change of pace to Mullins and lastly to throw. If Ryle is forced to throw, that tells me their running game is not being effective, and thus takes away their main passing game (play action) as well.

If Ryle is chucking it 20 times or more against Highlands, they are playing from behind. I just don't think their passing game is nearly as developed as their run game. If you force a team to their 3rd or 4th best option on offense, chances are you have them right where you want them.

As I stated in my original post, I too think they want to keep Towles on the sideline. You can do that throwing the ball.

I will jump in on this discussion and say if Ryle throws 50%, it is because they are having great success with it. I don't think the game plan will call for that many passes. Highlands has a potent offense and the best way to keep them in check is control the ball and game with your offense if you are Ryle. If I am Ryle, my first series I run my best running play down one, a play action pass on down two and then go back to a run on down three, depending on down and distance. From there on, if I am having success running the ball, I run it play after play with no more than 20% pass plays mixed in. I throw short passes like you said to keep Highlands guessing and hopefully have some success. I mix in passes throughout the game in just enough quantity to keep the defense honest. But my game plan is run, run, run as much as possible. If I can have enough success running the ball to throw less than 10 passes in the game, then that should mean I win if I am Ryle. Keep Highlands offense off the field. Limit their possessions and keep the pressure on them to make the plays to keep series/possessions alive to stay in the game. Limit big plays and the beloved HHS long pass play and make them grind with you if you can.

Of course you keep running the ball if you can be successful doing it. But I wonder why you think Ryle can be successful primarily running the ball. What gives you that optimism? I know that Elliott and Hempel are very good at running the ball and had a lot of success last week doing so later in the game. No disrespect intended to CovCath, but Highlands D isn't CovCath's D. If you are Warner and come out committed to running the ball in the first half and you are not successful, yet Highlands is able to score points, you really play into Highlands hands in the second half when you have to throw the ball. Perhaps I'm wrong and Ryle will be able to move the ball primarily by running, but it's been a long time since that's happened against Highlands to the best of my recollection. I can't think of a team since 05 that's been able to just line up and run the ball against Highlands D. Trinity hurt us some with the run, but it was the pass that really hurt us. Manual had no success running the ball. Plus, don't forget that lot of the kids on the D started last year on a Highlands D that was tough against the run.

Heck I hope I'm wrong and Warner comes out committed to primarily run the ball and sticks with it until he determines it isn't working. By then hopefully it will be too late.

I noticed Friday night how small Ryle's line looked compared to years past. Then I saw the score against CovCath and realized that it was by design. Everyone is trying to follow Highlands' model.

Exactly. Another point supporting my argument that Warner is learning and isn't beholden to the Boone County ways of old.:D

I think Ryle's secondary is better than people are giving them credit for. They have some very nice speed out there. Not claiming they will shut down the Birds passing game, but I think they'll acquit themselves nicely. Nice start to his CB career last week for Nutter, as he gets himself a Pick Six in his first varsity start.

I do wish Ryle had one more game to work on their passing attack before this game. I think they'll ultimately have a very good overall passing game this year, but are still making some adjustments to find their rhythm in that area. Probably not going to be the easiest environment/opponent to find that rhythm this week, but I believe they'll have enough passing success when they need it - set up by the excellent running game of Elliott, Hempel, Mullins, and company - to keep Highland's defense off-balance and make for some long, sustained drives. Which, as already pointed out, is probably going to be necessary to keep HHS' offense off the field as much as possible.

Can someone tell me if Highlands will stop selling tickets at a certain point? If you don't get there until 7:15 or so, is there actually a chance you might not be able to get in?

I think Ryle's secondary is better than people are giving them credit for. They have some very nice speed out there. Not claiming they will shut down the Birds passing game, but I think they'll acquit themselves nicely. Nice start to his CB career last week for Nutter, as he gets himself a Pick Six in his first varsity start.

I do wish Ryle had one more game to work on their passing attack before this game. I think they'll ultimately have a very good overall passing game this year, but are still making some adjustments to find their rhythm in that area. Probably not going to be the easiest environment/opponent to find that rhythm this week, but I believe they'll have enough passing success when they need it - set up by the excellent running game of Elliott, Hempel, Mullins, and company - to keep Highland's defense off-balance and make for some long, sustained drives. Which, as already pointed out, is probably going to be necessary to keep HHS' offense off the field as much as possible.

Can someone tell me if Highlands will stop selling tickets at a certain point? If you don't get there until 7:15 or so, is there actually a chance you might not be able to get in?

There's a chance, but something tells me this crowd isn't going to be quite to that level.

I look for a very good and hard-hitting game by two very disciplined and well-conditioned teams with lots of talent on the field. As always in games of evenly matched teams, TO's, field position and special teams are huge factors. Will be a great night of football in the Fort.

I am interested to see Highlands pass this week against Ryle. I am probably in the minority but I think Highlands needs a #2 WR to step up. Gone is the big TE target this year, Gold is a very nice possession guy but if he is covered, I wonder what they do next. Sheehan is a burner but he is smaller and struggles to find the ball in the air. With Towels' arm and the protection he gets he can throw for 300 a night, if he can hook up with WRs. That said, Highlands will hit their big plays and of course they have a very solid running game. Highlands will show a balanced offense and win by 14-20.

If Ryle falls behind early in this one and are forced to pass, the Raiders will be in for a long night @ DCM Stadium. Haven't heard if Elliott has matured since last season. He seemed frustrated at times last season when he wasn't having his way carrying the ball. A couple of times vs. the Birds he seemed to lose his temper. He'll need to keep his composure on Friday night for the Raiders to stay in the game. As for a prediction, I think the Birds win 49-28.