Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands vs Ryle: Take 2

Featured Replies

Let's try it a second time. Posters, please try to stay on track and maybe we can keep this thread open until the game.

 

While Ryle had great success against CovCath running the ball, I predict that Ryle is going to throw the ball a lot more in this game. I also predict those are going to be quick, short passes (ala Trinity). When Ryle attempted to throw deep last year, Highlands had great success getting to Hempel with the stunting D line and blitzing LBers. Hempel has taken a beating from Highlands each time he has played against the Birds. Last thing Warner wants early in the game to occur is Hempel getting smacked around and thinking: "uh oh, here we go again". And with the quickness and speed on Highlands D line and in the LBing corps, if Hempel has to hold the ball long, it will probably happen again.

 

I expect Warner to run a lot of short, ball control passes and along with the run, try to move the ball slowly but surely down the field. If Ryle can score doing so, it also has the additional advantage of keeping the Highlands O off the field.

  • Replies 115
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to this battle. Should be well worth the price of admission.

 

We hear a lot about the Ryle offense, what are some things to watch for with Ryle's D?

IF Ryle is forced to throw the ball more than 10 -12 times, then I predict Highlands wins by double digits.

 

I think Highlands will have great success throwing the ball against Ryle. It comes down to whether or not Ryle can run the ball successfully against Higlands D.

 

If they can not continue to grind out 4 and 5 yard runs, I think Ryle is in trouble. They will not have the big gainer type runs like they did against CovCath in the 2nd half, so they have to grind out the tough yards, throw in some play action to have success.

 

If Highlands forces Ryle to punt 6 times (3 per half), then Highlands air show will be too much for the Raiders.

Highlands will have a big day passing the ball!!

  • Author
IF Ryle is forced to throw the ball more than 10 -12 times, then I predict Highlands wins by double digits.

 

I think Highlands will have great success throwing the ball against Ryle. It comes down to whether or not Ryle can run the ball successfully against Higlands D.

 

If they can not continue to grind out 4 and 5 yard runs, I think Ryle is in trouble. They will not have the big gainer type runs like they did against CovCath in the 2nd half, so they have to grind out the tough yards, throw in some play action to have success.

 

If Highlands forces Ryle to punt 6 times (3 per half), then Highlands air show will be too much for the Raiders.

 

I'm curious to know why you think that if Ryle passes the ball more than 10-12 times, they will be in trouble. Hempel is, I think, an expectional passing QB. Surely they have to have at least a couple of adequate receivers on their team. I'd think that Warner would come into the game thinking they'd pass the ball 50% of the time. Even if they only have adequate success passing the ball (I'd expect more than adequate results), it does loosen up the run defense. What's your thinking if you don't mind me asking?

I'm curious to know why you think that if Ryle passes the ball more than 10-12 times, they will be in trouble. Hempel is, I think, an expectional passing QB. Surely they have to have at least a couple of adequate receivers on their team. I'd think that Warner would come into the game thinking they'd pass the ball 50% of the time. Even if they only have adequate success passing the ball (I'd expect more than adequate results), it does loosen up the run defense. What's your thinking if you don't mind me asking?

 

Ryle's WRs havent caught many passes.

Ryle's WRs havent caught many passes.

Well it's time they started. :lol::lol:

I'm curious to know why you think that if Ryle passes the ball more than 10-12 times, they will be in trouble. Hempel is, I think, an expectional passing QB. Surely they have to have at least a couple of adequate receivers on their team. I'd think that Warner would come into the game thinking they'd pass the ball 50% of the time. Even if they only have adequate success passing the ball (I'd expect more than adequate results), it does loosen up the run defense. What's your thinking if you don't mind me asking?

 

I will jump in on this discussion and say if Ryle throws 50%, it is because they are having great success with it. I don't think the game plan will call for that many passes. Highlands has a potent offense and the best way to keep them in check is control the ball and game with your offense if you are Ryle. If I am Ryle, my first series I run my best running play down one, a play action pass on down two and then go back to a run on down three, depending on down and distance. From there on, if I am having success running the ball, I run it play after play with no more than 20% pass plays mixed in. I throw short passes like you said to keep Highlands guessing and hopefully have some success. I mix in passes throughout the game in just enough quantity to keep the defense honest. But my game plan is run, run, run as much as possible. If I can have enough success running the ball to throw less than 10 passes in the game, then that should mean I win if I am Ryle. Keep Highlands offense off the field. Limit their possessions and keep the pressure on them to make the plays to keep series/possessions alive to stay in the game. Limit big plays and the beloved HHS long pass play and make them grind with you if you can.

I'd think that Warner would come into the game thinking they'd pass the ball 50% of the time?

 

Coach Warner from Ryle right? Former Boone Co player? That one?

I'm curious to know why you think that if Ryle passes the ball more than 10-12 times, they will be in trouble. Hempel is, I think, an expectional passing QB. Surely they have to have at least a couple of adequate receivers on their team. I'd think that Warner would come into the game thinking they'd pass the ball 50% of the time. Even if they only have adequate success passing the ball (I'd expect more than adequate results), it does loosen up the run defense. What's your thinking if you don't mind me asking?

 

I don't expect Ryle to throw alot because I think HHS's strength on defense is thier secondary. I think Burns(sp)? and Abner maybe their two best players. This game will be interesting and only a fool would pick against the birds at home, but I think this week will find the birds in some unfamiliar territory. IMO the two best players on the field will be on the opposing team, the Raiders will be just as well conditioned and won't be begging to come out of the game in the mid-second quarter like some guys from Manual were and the most certaintly will not be intimidated playing at HHS. I think this game will be a challenge for HHS because Ryle's O-line is lean, tall and athletic, kind of in the HHS mold if you will, so the speed of HHS's D-line may not bother them as much. I predict a fairly highscoring and hardhitting game. It will be a great one to watch.

If I could go back in time I'd change my schedule to be out of town last weekend and IN town this weekend.

 

Maybe one of the 73 dads that film for Highlands can come up with a game tape for me.

If I could go back in time I'd change my schedule to be out of town last weekend and IN town this weekend.

 

Maybe one of the 73 dads that film for Highlands can come up with a game tape for me.

 

Thats funny right there!!

I don't expect Ryle to throw alot because I think HHS's strength on defense is thier secondary. I think Burns(sp)? and Abner maybe their two best players. This game will be interesting and only a fool would pick against the birds at home, but I think this week will find the birds in some unfamiliar territory. IMO the two best players on the field will be on the opposing team, the Raiders will be just as well conditioned and won't be begging to come out of the game in the mid-second quarter like some guys from Manual were and the most certaintly will not be intimidated playing at HHS. I think this game will be a challenge for HHS because Ryle's O-line is lean, tall and athletic, kind of in the HHS mold if you will, so the speed of HHS's D-line may not bother them as much. I predict a fairly highscoring and hardhitting game. It will be a great one to watch.

 

I agree 100% with this statement. If Ryle didn't have so much success running the ball last week against CCH, then Hempel, I believe, would have had a big game, and put up some big numbers, throwing the ball.

 

Ryle, I believe, is in a great position on offense. If teams gear up to stop Elliott (which I think HHS will try to do) that is going to put a lot of pressure on their DB's and against Hempel rolling out running and/or throwing the ball. When an offense can do either, that makes it tough for the defense to game plan for. I look for Ryle to put up some numbers on offense, the question will be if the Ryle defense will be as stout as they were against CCH last weekend.

 

I look for a close game and one that may come down to the last position....

 

It should be exciting in Ft. Thomas this weekend!!!!!

I don't expect Ryle to throw alot because I think HHS's strength on defense is thier secondary. I think Burns(sp)? and Abner maybe their two best players. This game will be interesting and only a fool would pick against the birds at home, but I think this week will find the birds in some unfamiliar territory. IMO the two best players on the field will be on the opposing team, the Raiders will be just as well conditioned and won't be begging to come out of the game in the mid-second quarter like some guys from Manual were and the most certaintly will not be intimidated playing at HHS. I think this game will be a challenge for HHS because Ryle's O-line is lean, tall and athletic, kind of in the HHS mold if you will, so the speed of HHS's D-line may not bother them as much. I predict a fairly highscoring and hardhitting game. It will be a great one to watch.

 

Great post.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.