Highlands vs Ryle: Take 2

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ryle falls behind early in this one and are forced to pass, the Raiders will be in for a long night @ DCM Stadium. Haven't heard if Elliott has matured since last season. He seemed frustrated at times last season when he wasn't having his way carrying the ball. A couple of times vs. the Birds he seemed to lose his temper. He'll need to keep his composure on Friday night for the Raiders to stay in the game. As for a prediction, I think the Birds win 49-28.

The hostilities you reference were not one way.

I am interested to see Highlands pass this week against Ryle. I am probably in the minority but I think Highlands needs a #2 WR to step up. Gone is the big TE target this year, Gold is a very nice possession guy but if he is covered, I wonder what they do next. Sheehan is a burner but he is smaller and struggles to find the ball in the air. With Towels' arm and the protection he gets he can throw for 300 a night, if he can hook up with WRs. That said, Highlands will hit their big plays and of course they have a very solid running game. Highlands will show a balanced offense and win by 14-20.

Give Sheehan some time. The kid is very talented, fast and has great hands. Remember, last year this time he was playing JV. It takes a while to adjust to varsity ball. Yes he was thrown a lot of passes from Towles over the summer, but it's quite a bit different adjusting to those over the shoulder balls when you have a defender on your hip (as was the case with Manual 95% of the time. Same goes with Gall. I think both of them are going to do a great job this year. Just give them some time.

The hostilities you reference were not one way.

Let me add to my vague and brief post.

My point is that emotions were running high last year and Elliott was not the only kid that was getting emotional or extra aggressive. Nothing that crossed the line (although possibly a penalty if seen) and certainly nothing that would result in ejections. However, it's not as if Elliott had no one on the other team who was ready to go to knuckle junction if necessary. I'm cool with that. Boys get excited. Their testosterone gets flowing at a rapid pace (Dale would say they have the fastest flowing testosterone in NKY). No big deal to me by either player's actions. It didn't cross the line but could have by both sides.

That's my point.

Good points by all. I just think the margin of error is less for Ryle.... and tempers flaring make it doubly difficult.

One more point that hasn't seemed to be made. Nichols departure for South Bend. That was the one area I thought Ryle could have exploited last year when Hempel threw to the big TE across the middle. HHS didn't do the best job in stopping Nichols. Does Ryle have anyone to replace their D 1 TE from last season?

I am interested to see Highlands pass this week against Ryle. I am probably in the minority but I think Highlands needs a #2 WR to step up. Gone is the big TE target this year, Gold is a very nice possession guy but if he is covered, I wonder what they do next. Sheehan is a burner but he is smaller and struggles to find the ball in the air. With Towels' arm and the protection he gets he can throw for 300 a night, if he can hook up with WRs. That said, Highlands will hit their big plays and of course they have a very solid running game. Highlands will show a balanced offense and win by 14-20.

Sheehan is going to be a tough WR to stop. The problem with him wasn't one of skill but of miscommunication friday night between he and Towles. Highlands will mix in big plays but they had alot of 3rd down plays last friday against Manual and as a result, we will probably see more screens, counters, and keepers. If effective against the Ryle D, it will be a long night for DB's because Towles will open up the airspace for another aerial attack. The Highlands defense had alot of success pressuring the Manual QB. If they can pressure Hempel the same way, they'll be successful. I'm interested mostly in this game b/c it will reveal alot about how effective they'll be against JC this year. I think both Ryle and JC are similar opponents with both having athletic QB's and an awesome running attack.

Sheehan is going to be a tough WR to stop. The problem with him wasn't one of skill but of miscommunication friday night between he and Towles. Highlands will mix in big plays but they had alot of 3rd down plays last friday against Manual and as a result' date=' we will probably see more screens, counters, and keepers. If effective against the Ryle D, it will be a long night for DB's because Towles will open up the airspace for another aerial attack. The Highlands defense had alot of success pressuring the Manual QB. If they can pressure Hempel the same way, they'll be successful. I'm interested mostly in this game b/c it will reveal alot about how effective they'll be against JC this year. I think both Ryle and JC are similar opponents with both having athletic QB's and an awesome running attack.[/quote']

I'm no so sure Sheehans problem was all miscommunication, if that at all. I noticed Sheehan being attended to after almost every play. Not sure if he was a 100%. Something was going on with him. May have been flu. I have complete confidence in Sheehan as a receiver and I'm sure he will be there when you need him. I just think something else was working on him Friday night and it wasn't Manuals defense.

This game is going to be a beat down and Highlands is going to do the beating.

Highlands 49 Ryle 14 might be a running clock?

I'm surprised anyone would think this is going to be a beat down when the games last year were certainly not beat downs. Ryle is much improved on both sides of the ball this year. Highlands is always very good but certainly not better than last year. It will be fun at the Fort on Friday.

Just watching last week I think Towles needs to run the ball more when he gets outside the pocket. He had numerous opportunities to have big runs and he threw it down the field for an incompletion. He is an extremely underrated runner. Patrick has real good speed for being such a big quarterback. I hope Dale uses him more in that capacity. I believe it could help open up the offense a little more. JMO