Terrence Jones Is A Cat

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My goodness, hilarious....how many times can a team depend on freshman to get them to the promised land? While UK's team this past season was very good, they got pantsed by the best team they played. Had they played tougher competition maybe their record would've suffered, but they could've turned out better overall. Having a slew of freshman phenoms is fun, but it doesn't win titles.

Although UK had a very good team last year the thing that was their downfall in the end (and a worry of Cal from the beginning) was the 3 position. I think all of us knew that before the season started.

A good friend of mine who used to be a high school coach commented, after UK landed Wall last May, that it was indeed a great class but they very badly needed Meeks to stay around another year. He was concerned that the 3 position would be a big problem, with no one able to hit shots and keep teams from zoning so much, which would take away some of Wall's effectiveness. And he was right. They were able to cover it up through most of the season but when the pressure of the NCAA tourney was on their shoulders, Dodson, Liggins, and Miller folded like an accordian. I don't think Cal can be blamed for that. He gave them every opportunity, and although all of them looked good on occasion, they were just too inconsistent for the most part and disappeared during big profile games.

Although UK had a very good team last year the thing that was their downfall in the end (and a worry of Cal from the beginning) was the 3 position. I think all of us knew that before the season started.

A good friend of mine who used to be a high school coach commented, after UK landed Wall last May, that it was indeed a great class but they very badly needed Meeks to stay around another year. He was concerned that the 3 position would be a big problem, with no one able to hit shots and keep teams from zoning so much, which would take away some of Wall's effectiveness. And he was right. They were able to cover it up through most of the season but when the pressure of the NCAA tourney was on their shoulders, Dodson, Liggins, and Miller folded like an accordian. I don't think Cal can be blamed for that. He gave them every opportunity, and although all of them looked good on occasion, they were just too inconsistent for the most part and disappeared during big profile games.

Really good point. With Jodie Meeks marksmanship from long range UK would have been tough to beat. UK had a major flaw and it wasn't youth, it was that they did not have consistent outside shooters. With Meeks or even Henry UK would have been much tougher to take out of the tournament. Not saying they would have won it, but I think they would have had a much better chance. :thumb:

I think a more experienced team with UK's talent level could have overcome the shooting. They were capable of locking people down defensively and dominating the paint.

It looks like we'll have better shooting this year with less strength in the paint.

Obviously if they had Meeks it would have been much better. However the 3 spot was not the reason why they got knocked out last year. Your PG and definitely your SG need to be able to knock down shots, and they couldn't hit anything in that lost. Our experience player in Patterson who all year was making 3's couldn't make them in the biggest game of the year. It's just unfair to blame it on the 3 spot for why they lost, because no one on the team could make shots that day.

If you have a fatal flaw, experience may help you overcome it. But, let's face it UK was not a great shooting team last year. With an actually sharpshooter or two I'll take my chances with last years team, no matter how inexperienced. IMO inexperience didn't beat UK. It wasn't turnovers that killed them. They didn't lose their heads and panic. They just couldn't hit anything against WVU, and WVU had a great gameplan to stop everythign else. One or two spot up guys and Cousins and Wall would have went more wild than they already did last year. That means fewer double teams on Cousins, less congestion in the lane for Wall and Bledsoe. JMO, but UK didn't lose because they were mainly freshmen.

Obviously if they had Meeks it would have been much better. However the 3 spot was not the reason why they got knocked out last year. Your PG and definitely your SG need to be able to knock down shots, and they couldn't hit anything in that lost. Our experience player in Patterson who all year was making 3's couldn't make them in the biggest game of the year. It's just unfair to blame it on the 3 spot for why they lost, because no one on the team could make shots that day.

I see both sides here. A more effective shooter in the 3 slot would have helped tremendously. But the loss to WVU was caused by failure to get the ball in to Cousins and Patterson down low when the 3's weren't falling. That was a game where UK needed to force the ball inside and take over the paint - then that would open the shooters up for even better looks from outside.

UK got solid production from the 3 spot last season. They didn't get consistent perimeter shooting, but there are a lot of teams who would have been happy with Miller. That spot got more attention than deserved, IMO, because UK was so strong and talented at the other 4 spots.

I can buy this argument, and I tend to agree that UK would've likely cut down the nets with Meeks, or some semblance of a sharp shooter from the outside. That said, I'm not sure that need was answered with this class either.

If you have a fatal flaw, experience may help you overcome it. But, let's face it UK was not a great shooting team last year. With an actually sharpshooter or two I'll take my chances with last years team, no matter how inexperienced. IMO inexperience didn't beat UK. It wasn't turnovers that killed them. They didn't lose their heads and panic. They just couldn't hit anything against WVU, and WVU had a great gameplan to stop everythign else. One or two spot up guys and Cousins and Wall would have went more wild than they already did last year. That means fewer double teams on Cousins, less congestion in the lane for Wall and Bledsoe. JMO, but UK didn't lose because they were mainly freshmen.

I tend to agree with this post. Though in-experience got them in trouble at times. It all related down to poor shooting, and when the bottom dropped out on that, it was curtains.

I can buy this argument, and I tend to agree that UK would've likely cut down the nets with Meeks, or some semblance of a sharp shooter from the outside. That said, I'm not sure that need was answered with this class either.

Doron Lamb and Brandon Knight are considered 2 of the better shooters out there. I do not know how Cal could have answered that need any better. Shooting will not be the problem it was this year. Team chemistry, rebounding, and defense will be some of the bigger concerns.