What Beer/Wine are you are tasting right now?

ADopted ADmiral

Tonight, it's Maredsous 10. This is a Belgian golden ale with an ABV of 10%. This is a bottle-fermented beer brewed in the Benedictine tradition. Often times, beers with such a high alcohol content sacrifice taste for the high amount of alcohol. This beer sacrifices no taste.

Most of the Belgian tripels I've had have been in excess of 10% and have been excellent. The Belgians certainly do know how to make high alcohol beer. Actually they know how to make almost any kind of beer.

Here are some of the ones that stick in my memory.

Golden Monkey

Chimay Tripel

Affligem Tripel

Splinter Gold

Schlafly Tripel

Sweetwater Creeper

Saint Rieul Tripel

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the Belgian tripels I've had have been in excess of 10% and have been excellent. The Belgians certainly do know how to make high alcohol beer. Actually they know how to make almost any kind of beer.

Here are some of the ones that stick in my memory.

Golden Monkey

Chimay Tripel

Affligem Tripel

Splinter Gold

Schlafly Tripel

Sweetwater Creeper

Saint Rieul Tripel

I know a lot of beer connoisseurs say that the Beligian tripels and trappists are where it's at, but I've got to say, I've tried a LOT of them and they've all just kind of so-so in my opinion. I my taste in beer is preferential towards German and then UK beers over Belgians.

I know a lot of beer connoisseurs say that the Beligian tripels and trappists are where it's at, but I've got to say, I've tried a LOT of them and they've all just kind of so-so in my opinion. I my taste in beer is preferential towards German and then UK beers over Belgians.

I like those too.

I'm just not enough of a beer snob/connoisseur to justify spending more than a couple of bucks on a bottle of beer. Give me a six pack of Dos Equis or Harp and I can milk it for several days. Or better yet, something with a bit more kick.

As I've said before, an ideal mixed drink is good bourbon and air.

I'm just not enough of a beer snob/connoisseur to justify spending more than a couple of bucks on a bottle of beer. Give me a six pack of Dos Equis or Harp and I can milk it for several days. Or better yet, something with a bit more kick.

As I've said before, an ideal mixed drink is good bourbon and air.

If Im gonna get a pint at the bar then Harp it is usually. Sometimes I'll try a half an half. Half Harp and Half Guiness.

The wife suprised me with tickets to this local beer tasting tonight. Biggest diaappointment was the Smoked Porter from Stone Brewery (too thin for my taste) and the biggest surprise was the excellent IPA from Ballast Point Brewery. I also liked the Hefe from Rock Bottom Brewery. Unfortunately some of my favorite local breweries were absent from the event: Pizza Port and Lost Abbey.

Double Arrogant Bast*** Ale from Stone Brewery is chronic. :isurrender:

http://www.sdbeerhistory.org/Home_Page.html