Tyler Smith to be dismissed today

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a lifetime ago, but I believe Smith was very close to being a Wildcat on a couple of occasions once upon a time.

'Tis true. Right before he went to Iowa and during his transfer period. People were discussing Memphis, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Tennessee. His father who passed was from Pulaski, TN and most fans were mad at who was involved based on distance to his father.

Smith is getting exactly what he deserves. Life comes down to three things: Choices, Decisions, Consequences. For the life of me, I cannot and will never understand the gun toting mentality of these thugs. I have never owned a gun, needed to use a gun, or even thought about a gun. If you feel the need to carry a gun, then you've got serious issues, and it's obvious you are running in the wrong circles. Normal law abiding citizens do NOT need to carry guns, period. I wish they would get tougher on these thugs.

Normal law abiding citizens carry guns to protect themselves from the non law abiding citizens who carry guns. That's for another thread though.

Smith got what he deserved. I hate it for him but he made the decision and now he has to deal with the consequences.

Smith got what he deserved but the rest of your post about guns makes no sense whatsoever. :isurrender:

:thumb:

Normal law abiding citizens carry guns to protect themselves from the non law abiding citizens who carry guns. That's for another thread though.

Smith got what he deserved. I hate it for him but he made the decision and now he has to deal with the consequences.

No doubt.

Yeah, when my son goes off to play college sports, I will make sure he doesn't forget his firearm in his gym bag, and when he makes it to the professional level I will get him a few more guns so he can protect himself and the 10 large he keeps in his pocket. I will also make sure that the serial numbers are snuffed out to so they can't trace them back to him. Unreal. :laugh:

You should go give them some help over on the Texas-Bama thread. They seem to think college athletes are fragile little pre-adolescents.

:rolleyes:Its not that they're fragile pre-teens. That wasn't my point. Sure, they are old enough that they should have some kind of self control. Getting ambushed by an asinine question seconds after a game and choosing to carry concealed weapons around in a car while you drink and smoke pot are two totally different things. McCoy had no choice in the matter, he was simply playing the game and got hurt. Smith and the others chose to do what they did. My big grip was the timing and stupidity of the question that was asked to McCoy.

Let me ask you this Jim, and I know you are as biased towards defending your fellow media members as UK fans are towards defending their teams, but try to answer this objectively. Do you really think that the entire audience was sitting there waiting to hear how Colt McCoy felt about getting knocked out of the BCS Title Game on the first series? Don't you think all of us pretty much knew that he wasn't happy about it? It was simply a dumb question. If she had just asked about what his injury was it would have been different--I'm sure a lot of people were wondering that. But asking how he felt about missing the game? Dumb question, thankfully he handled it with grace but he seemed within an eyelash of totally breaking down on national television--what purpose would that have served? She could at least given him a chance to compose himself and waited for the press conference (if he had been made available--again he's not a pro he owes no one an interview) to ask a question that was not exactly earth shattering news?

Yeah, when my son goes off to play college sports, I will make sure he doesn't forget his firearm in his gym bag, and when he makes it to the professional level I will get him a few more guns so he can protect himself and the 10 large he keeps in his pocket. I will also make sure that the serial numbers are snuffed out to so they can't trace them back to him. Unreal. :laugh:

No, what is unreal is people who take specific incidents and apply them universally to whatever argument they choose to make. I think I heard this in a movie once, "Lighten up . . .Francis."

No, what is unreal is people who take specific incidents and apply them universally to whatever argument they choose to make. Not everybody carries a gun nor needs to carry a gun, but they have and should continue to have the right to if they so choose. Carrying a gun is NOT a signal that the person is a "thug" or whatever other code name you wish to use. Your "son" won't need to carry a gun to college any more than 99% of the rest of the attendees won't. ONE incident is not indicative of a world-wide conspiracy. Perhaps you should go to work for the left wing liberals and/or the "mainstream" media. I think I heard this in a movie once, "Lighten up . . .Francis."

I don't have a problem with people bearing arms whatsoever, as long as it's done in a legal manner. This is not ONE incident. I guess you haven't been keeping up with the news over the last few years to know that there is a major problem with athletes and illegal firearms. What do you call someone who carries a firearm illegally? Sorry my "code" word offended you. Let's just go back to the wild, wild, west and arm everyone.

I don't have a problem with people bearing arms whatsoever, as long as it's done in a legal manner. This is not ONE incident. I guess you haven't been keeping up with the news over the last few years to know that there is a major problem with athletes and illegal firearms. What do you call someone who carries a firearm illegally? Sorry my "code" word offended you. Let's just go back to the wild, wild, west and arm everyone.

:thumb:

:rolleyes:Its not that they're fragile pre-teens. That wasn't my point. Sure, they are old enough that they should have some kind of self control. Getting ambushed by an asinine question seconds after a game and choosing to carry concealed weapons around in a car while you drink and smoke pot are two totally different things. McCoy had no choice in the matter, he was simply playing the game and got hurt. Smith and the others chose to do what they did. My big grip was the timing and stupidity of the question that was asked to McCoy.

Let me ask you this Jim, and I know you are as biased towards defending your fellow media members as UK fans are towards defending their teams, but try to answer this objectively. Do you really think that the entire audience was sitting there waiting to hear how Colt McCoy felt about getting knocked out of the BCS Title Game on the first series? Don't you think all of us pretty much knew that he wasn't happy about it? It was simply a dumb question. If she had just asked about what his injury was it would have been different--I'm sure a lot of people were wondering that. But asking how he felt about missing the game? Dumb question, thankfully he handled it with grace but he seemed within an eyelash of totally breaking down on national television--what purpose would that have served? She could at least given him a chance to compose himself and waited for the press conference (if he had been made available--again he's not a pro he owes no one an interview) to ask a question that was not exactly earth shattering news?

I'm sorry, but I don't view them as different. You can't have it both ways and treat them like a hardened adult when they do something bad/stupid, but with kid gloves when something bad happens to them. As one of the most high-profile college athletes in the United States the past few years, McCoy has been interviewed probably thousands of times, under every possible circumstance, perhaps as far back as his freshman year in high school. Stop making him out to be some beat-down, helpless victim here; he knows the score and has been playing the media game for a long time. It's part of the package when you choose to play sports at the highest levels. If he was that concerned about getting his feelings hurt by a reporter, he shouldn't play.

A championship game of any kind is a big moment, with lots of emotions attached. As the face of the team, McCoy almost certainly had to expect to be interviewed, and I'm sure he probably knew well in advance it wasn't going to be the most comfortable line of questioning he's been subjected to. I mean, how many camera shots of him going into the locker room and coming out did we see during the game? Do you think he was somehow unaware of the cameras tracking him?

And yes, it being a big game, fans want to know his reaction to it. Some might think he should be treated like a child, like you, but at the end of the day the interview was done because the audience as a whole wants to know. And as far as the timing of it goes, immediately after the game is the absolute critical time, because that's when you get your most honest answer. The fact that "all of us knew he was unhappy about it" is not the point; the reporter has to get it in his words, not assume what he might say or feel.

The reporter did her job, under a difficult circumstance, and McCoy handled it coolly, calmly and professionally like the experienced veteran he is. And besides, what's wrong with it if he does break down a little bit? It shows just how much the player cares. I like how it would be a bad thing for McCoy to possibly have shed a few tears, but Joker Phillips and Charlie Strong were hailed widely for their emotional moments at press conferences. Do you have the same criticisms for the reporters who prompted those moments from the two coaches?

Like I said, you can't have it both ways.

I'm sorry, but I don't view them as different. You can't have it both ways and treat them like a hardened adult when they do something bad/stupid, but with kid gloves when something bad happens to them. As one of the most high-profile college athletes in the United States the past few years, McCoy has been interviewed probably thousands of times, under every possible circumstance, perhaps as far back as his freshman year in high school. Stop making him out to be some beat-down, helpless victim here; he knows the score and has been playing the media game for a long time. It's part of the package when you choose to play sports at the highest levels. If he was that concerned about getting his feelings hurt by a reporter, he shouldn't play.

A championship game of any kind is a big moment, with lots of emotions attached. As the face of the team, McCoy almost certainly had to expect to be interviewed, and I'm sure he probably knew well in advance it wasn't going to be the most comfortable line of questioning he's been subjected to. I mean, how many camera shots of him going into the locker room and coming out did we see during the game? Do you think he was somehow unaware of the cameras tracking him?

And yes, it being a big game, fans want to know his reaction to it. Some might think he should be treated like a child, like you, but at the end of the day the interview was done because the audience as a whole wants to know. And as far as the timing of it goes, immediately after the game is the absolute critical time, because that's when you get your most honest answer. The fact that "all of us knew he was unhappy about it" is not the point; the reporter has to get it in his words, not assume what he might say or feel.

The reporter did her job, under a difficult circumstance, and McCoy handled it coolly, calmly and professionally like the experienced veteran he is. And besides, what's wrong with it if he does break down a little bit? It shows just how much the player cares. I like how it would be a bad thing for McCoy to possibly have shed a few tears, but Joker Phillips and Charlie Strong were hailed widely for their emotional moments at press conferences. Do you have the same criticisms for the reporters who prompted those moments from the two coaches?

Like I said, you can't have it both ways.

BREATHE. And take it back to the thread it belongs in.

Smith is getting exactly what he deserves. Life comes down to three things: Choices, Decisions, Consequences. For the life of me, I cannot and will never understand the gun toting mentality of these thugs. I have never owned a gun, needed to use a gun, or even thought about a gun. If you feel the need to carry a gun, then you've got serious issues, and it's obvious you are running in the wrong circles. Normal law abiding citizens do NOT need to carry guns, period. I wish they would get tougher on these thugs.

So which is it? Also to make the blanket statement that if you feel the need to carry a gun you have serious issues is just plain ignorant of the facts. Grave yards are full of people who didn't feel a need to carry a gun.