9th Region Preseason Coaches Poll

Not true, but I agree that not everyone can play D3 and NAIA. Basketball isn't as easy as everyone thinks it is.

Who got a better scholarship in NKY than McFarland? When I say best player in NKY last year, I should have said best 2009 player in that class, in NKY.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By what schools? If Gabbard is having a D2 offer pulled there is no way Popp is getting D2 offers. Not to take anything away from Popp he just isn't a D2 player at least not from what I have seen. Gabbard will be the only player on that team that maybe plays D2.

He was invited to Ohio Dominican recently and is still being recruited by them. He already has a couple of firm offers to play at D3 schools.

I'm sure Popp garnered his interest from his play in national AAU tournaments this summer, because he did not play much the second half of last high school season.

Who knows if he will end up with a D2 offer. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Earls also has a solid offer to play on a D3 team now.

Imo, Popp needs to have a solid High School season to go D3. He hasn't shown much on the High School level.

Popp already has multiple offers for D3 teams and others are recruiting him. He has been solid but not spectacular on at the high school level. AAU ball is where he has fared better. He seems to be better in open court, transitional basketball rather than the style of offense Boone typically plays.

Any player can go D3 just pay tuition or NAIA for that matter. That is why there are up to 20 players on their rosters.

D3 and NAIA coaches recruit players just like other schools. There are also 20 players on most high school rosters. There are far fewer D3 college teams than high school teams. Kids don't play unless the coach recruits/invites them.

I think in the end you will see the majority of these players other than some of the Holmes players going D3 if they decide to play. Every once in a while you will see a D2 or NAIA. However, NKY is really proving to be a D3 talent pool over the last couple of years.

I believe there will be one D1 (R. Johnson) from this class. Pittman could eventually too. J. Johnson could go D2, and Gabbard too. Others could, but admittedly, it is more of a longshot. NAIA is more likely than D2. D3 is nothing to belittle. D3 coaches pick the players, not the other way around...

Who got a better scholarship in NKY than McFarland? When I say best player in NKY last year, I should have said best 2009 player in that class, in NKY.

I'll give you that then. I honestly believe that Gabbard was better than Mcfarland. Not to mention the Holmes trio.

Popp already has multiple offers for D3 teams and others are recruiting him. He has been solid but not spectacular on at the high school level. AAU ball is where he has fared better. He seems to be better in open court, transitional basketball rather than the style of offense Boone typically plays.

What do you mean when you day offers? Are they saying they will pay for him to attend school and plat? Or, are they simply saying, hey, come to our school and you can try out?

Yeah I'm not sure what Wildcatfan is referring to by firm offers at the D3 level. You can't get offered by a D3 school it's all academic based. Coaches at D3 level recruit players to come to the school to play. Saying anyone can play D3 or NAIA is completely false. Occasionally people might go to a D3 school or NAIA and try to be on the team. However, these coaches do recruit certain players who are good enough. I don't think people realize how hard it is to play college basketball especially as you go up from D3 to D2 to D1 etc. Also, at D3 schools there might be a total of 20 players on the team however some of that is a jv team. I think NAIA schools have this as well (Georgetown). I doubt that at these schools all 20 players travel on the legit team.

I'll give you that then. I honestly believe that Gabbard was better than Mcfarland. Not to mention the Holmes trio.

This might be true...I doubt Mcfarland will be seeing much time at Georgetown unless he improves his jumpshot. Georgetown is an NAIA powerhouse with talent such as Matt Walls from Scott County Championship team who transferred from Marshall, Victor Moses, along with some D1 transfers.

What do you mean when you day offers? Are they saying they will pay for him to attend school and plat? Or, are they simply saying, hey, come to our school and you can try out?

Roster spots are already being held, and financial aid/athletic scholarship packages have been offered. There is no tryout. The boys have been watched by the coaches and recruited to come play for them. The spots were offered after the coaches watched them play in school and/or AAU ball. Of course, athletic scholarships aren't offered at the D3 level.

Yeah I'm not sure what Wildcatfan is referring to by firm offers at the D3 level. You can't get offered by a D3 school it's all academic based. Coaches at D3 level recruit players to come to the school to play. Saying anyone can play D3 or NAIA is completely false. Occasionally people might go to a D3 school or NAIA and try to be on the team. However, these coaches do recruit certain players who are good enough. I don't think people realize how hard it is to play college basketball especially as you go up from D3 to D2 to D1 etc. Also, at D3 schools there might be a total of 20 players on the team however some of that is a jv team. I think NAIA schools have this as well (Georgetown). I doubt that at these schools all 20 players travel on the legit team.

When I say offer, I mean the spot is being held (until a reasonable time) until the player makes a decision as to whether they want to/can come there. You are right -- they are recruited. They can offer things like work/study positions to some of their players if they qualify for any financial aid. There are about 20 players on most of these teams. Many, but not all of the freshman and sophomores play on the JV team, just like in high school.

This might be true...I doubt Mcfarland will be seeing much time at Georgetown unless he improves his jumpshot. Georgetown is an NAIA powerhouse with talent such as Matt Walls from Scott County Championship team who transferred from Marshall, Victor Moses, along with some D1 transfers.

I thought McFarland really improved his game last year and shot better from outside too. McFarland has played AAU ball with several of these types of players. He might not come in as an underclassman and tear it up, but I think he will be a contributor by the time he graduates. Good defender with long arms. Athletic and handles the ball well enough to help bring the ball up the floor. He was Boone's best player last year, IMO.

Is this thread Ninth Region or all of NKY at this point? Despite the thread title, it started as an all NKY top 10 thread, then progressed to Ninth Region only.

The thread title says 9th region, but the original list also included the 8th and 10th region teams in NKY (Scott, Brossart, SK, Walton Verona).