Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region Preseason Coaches Poll

Featured Replies

I agree that NKU missed the boat on Nestheide. He had a great career @ Centre and led them to a top 5 ranking.

 

NKU told Nestheide that they were not going to recruit him after they showed a little bit of interest. Instead, they went after Ryan Patzwald from Anderson. Patzwald, at the last minute, decided to walk on at UC and play for Huggins. When Huggins got pushed out, Patzwald transferred to Kansas State.

 

Somewhere during that time frame, Patzwald also got a DUI.

 

It didn't help Nestheide that David McFarland was a year behind him. Heck, they also took Scotty Bibbins the following year.

 

This, imo, is a perfect example of NKU missing out on some quality local talent. Imo, Nestheide was better then both Bibbons and Mcfarland.

  • Replies 405
  • Views 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what a lot of people are saying about the talent level that NKU is chasing these days. Seems to be a bit beyond NKY talent. But they did use Scott Bibbins a lot last year at PG, and they have Sorrell as a red-shirt freshman this year. So Bezold is keeping the Holy Cross pipeline alive. Pelle was way better than Bibbins during his High School days and is showing by becoming a pre-season DII All-American at West Liberty. I am not saying that NKU should recruit only kids of NKY, but they don't seem to pay a whole lot of attention to players who could contribute.

 

Couldn't agree more!

If looking for a good comparison, Pelle had 26 against Bellarmine last year, who I believe is this season's #1 team in the Preseason rankings. Corey was in the top 10 in the country for assists and steals for most of the season. All in all, West Liberty is a much better fit for Corey anyway. They lead the nation in scoring at 100 ppg and their system fits him better than any program.

 

Regarding other players passed up by NKU, Zimmerman and Krebs from NewCath are 2 that come to mind.

Like who?

 

I've seen others mention Pelle and Romes. Pelle can certainly play. Whether or not NKU recruited him, and whether or not he could have been admitted, I guess depends on who you talk to.

 

NKU didn't miss on Romes. He was a really good high school player and he's a really good D-III player, no doubt. But, NKU's expectations as a program are on another planet from Mt. St. Joe's. Frankly, it's like comparing a NKU player who has done very well and saying UK missed on him.

 

Aside from these two though, and assuming I'm wrong, who else has NKU missed on?

 

I'm sorry Sandman I have to disagree here. Romes is completely capable of contributing and being a key factor on a team like NKU. If you didn't know he led all of D3 in field goal % his sophomore or jr year. The kid progressively got better and better as he entered college. That's another thing successful college coaches do is recruit potential.

 

If Corey Sorrell can play at NKU there is no reason why Romes can't! Sorrell might overall be a better outside shooter but there is no comparison between the two when getting to the rack and scoring. Romes is a solid all around player and I think NKU really missed out on him.

 

If you haven't seen Romes play in awhile you need to take a trip across the river and maybe you'll edit your post!

If looking for a good comparison, Pelle had 26 against Bellarmine last year, who I believe is this season's #1 team in the Preseason rankings. Corey was in the top 10 in the country for assists and steals for most of the season. All in all, West Liberty is a much better fit for Corey anyway. They lead the nation in scoring at 100 ppg and their system fits him better than any program.

 

Regarding other players passed up by NKU, Zimmerman and Krebs from NewCath are 2 that come to mind.

 

Lets just face it there are several kids NKU has passed up on that could have been big contributors!

There's no doubt that Pelle is a very good player, but he plays a 2. NKU has been loaded with shooting guards for years now. You have to recruit what you need. Bibbins is a very good point guard and that's what they needed at the time. Sorrell is a very good player but had to red-shirt because they were loaded at his position.

 

Yes of course you recruit what you need but that doesn't mean you lower your recruiting standards. Also, I'm pretty sure Bibbons had to walk on in order to eventually earn a scholarship. That is the Holy Cross pipeline for ya!

This, imo, is a perfect example of NKU missing out on some quality local talent. Imo, Nestheide was better then both Bibbons and Mcfarland.

 

Couldn't agree more.

Like who?

 

I've seen others mention Pelle and Romes. Pelle can certainly play. Whether or not NKU recruited him, and whether or not he could have been admitted, I guess depends on who you talk to.

 

NKU didn't miss on Romes. He was a really good high school player and he's a really good D-III player, no doubt. But, NKU's expectations as a program are on another planet from Mt. St. Joe's. Frankly, it's like comparing a NKU player who has done very well and saying UK missed on him.

 

Aside from these two though, and assuming I'm wrong, who else has NKU missed on?

 

Sandman doesn't necessarily say what people hope to be the truth but he is dead on.

 

Romes had a great high school career and he dominated and apparently is still doing very well because he could get to the rim. It was his #1 strength and he was so smooth and strong.

 

However, lets not lose our minds here. NKU has 5 D1 players on their roster. You think Romes is getting to the rim now? You think he's playing much? No. He's perfect where he's at. We should all be so fortunate.

Sandman doesn't necessarily say what people hope to be the truth but he is dead on.

 

Romes had a great high school career and he dominated and apparently is still doing very well because he could get to the rim. It was his #1 strength and he was so smooth and strong.

 

However, lets not lose our minds here. NKU has 5 D1 players on their roster. You think Romes is getting to the rim now? You think he's playing much? No. He's perfect where he's at. We should all be so fortunate.

 

Who are these five D1's you speak of? If this is true then why isn't NKU winning championships?

 

I think it's fair to say, Clyde, you are a CCH fan so let's not have sour grapes here. Romes flat out filled it up in High School after transferring and he is continuing to do so at MSJ. To say he doesn't belong on the floor at NKU is false because he cant definitely play at that level and a be a contributor.

 

Romes on pure raw talent was imo better than Sorrell in High School. But a Holy Cross pipeline plays a factor.

 

Who does NKU have that is head and shoulders above Romes?

The same goes for Pelle. He would definitely be starting at NKU. Who is better then him there right now? Bibbons not a chance. Rack not a chance.

Also, Clyde let's not forget that Romes has an excellent outside shot just chooses not to shoot many three's. In High School he had to play more down low as he continues to do at MSJ.

Who are these five D1's you speak of? If this is true then why isn't NKU winning championships?

 

I think it's fair to say, Clyde, you are a CCH fan so let's not have sour grapes here. Romes flat out filled it up in High School after transferring and he is continuing to do so at MSJ. To say he doesn't belong on the floor at NKU is false because he cant definitely play at that level and a be a contributor.

 

Romes on pure raw talent was imo better than Sorrell in High School. But a Holy Cross pipeline plays a factor.

 

Who does NKU have that is head and shoulders above Romes?

 

I have no skin in this game, but know BB talent when I see it. I must disagree with you on the Romes vs. Sorrell comparison. They are both fine players, but Sorrell is where he belongs and Romes is where he belongs. You can use the HC pipeline as the reason, but I saw both play many times, and Sorrell is the better player. He is at NKU because he can play not because he went to HC.

I have no skin in this game, but know BB talent when I see it. I must disagree with you on the Romes vs. Sorrell comparison. They are both fine players, but Sorrell is where he belongs and Romes is where he belongs. You can use the HC pipeline as the reason, but I saw both play many times, and Sorrell is the better player. He is at NKU because he can play not because he went to HC.

 

I never onced said Sorrell didn't belong there or couldn't play there. I said imo in high school Romes was a more complete player and still is. I meant if Sorrell can play there then there is no reason why Romes can't.

 

For both you and Clyde to look at. He still has another season left.

http://www.msjsports.com/media/pdf/records-archives/mbasketball/individual_records-game_season

And what I meant by the HC pipeline plays a factor. Well Bibbons walked on at NKU and earned a scholarship so imo they were more willing to give a scholarship to corey. What if Romes attends HC things might have been a little different. But I'm not saying oh if Romes went to HC then he would be at NKU becuase Bezold only takes HC players.

Who are these five D1's you speak of? If this is true then why isn't NKU winning championships?

 

I think it's fair to say, Clyde, you are a CCH fan so let's not have sour grapes here. Romes flat out filled it up in High School after transferring and he is continuing to do so at MSJ. To say he doesn't belong on the floor at NKU is false because he cant definitely play at that level and a be a contributor.

 

Romes on pure raw talent was imo better than Sorrell in High School. But a Holy Cross pipeline plays a factor.

 

Who does NKU have that is head and shoulders above Romes?

 

First off, don't embarrass yourself with the "sour grapes" comment. I think Romes made a great move and I fully supported it despite it hurting CCH.

 

I'm not saying he could not play at NKU. I AM saying that he would not play much though.

 

NKU has 5 D1 players. They had 2 transfers last year and picked up 3 this year. One from Iowa. One from BG. Can't remember the third.

 

Trust me. Michael isn't playing in front of these guys.

 

Lastly, Sorrell and Romes are two COMPLETELY different players which, again, makes your claims invalid. Sorrell can fill it up from the outside and doesn't need much time or space to get his shot off. If you ever watch NKU (and its obvious you do not) then you would notice that they love to penetrate and kick it out. Sorrell fits that system perfectly.

 

Unfortunately, by having to do this comparison it sounds like I'm dissing Romes. I'm not. He was a great NKY high school player and has proven he can play at the D3 level.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.