Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region Preseason Coaches Poll

Featured Replies

Good post! I agree :ylsuper:

 

It seems Boone has the horses to run up and down the court. I thought they should have done that more last year when they were deeper and more athletic than most of the teams they played. It looks to be the same type of team again this year.

 

Against Holmes and some of the other more athletic teams, I agree that playing half court games may be the way to go, however, with the athletes/players that Boone has I think it would be some pretty exciting basketball if they were turned loose.

 

Thoughts?

 

I've always agreed with this. Half court game nullifies some of the advantage of the good guards who see the floor well and work well in transition from defense to offense and big men who run the floor well. Setting up in a half court offense gives the defense time to recover and set up if they aren't as quick, etc. Up and down the court also often gets 3 point shooters wide open shots. Boone should be able to press a lot and rotate kids in and out. They have lots of quick guards.

  • Replies 405
  • Views 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always agreed with this. Half court game nullifies some of the advantage of the good guards who see the floor well and work well in transition from defense to offense and big men who run the floor well. Setting up in a half court offense gives the defense time to recover and set up if they aren't as quick, etc. Up and down the court also often gets 3 point shooters wide open shots. Boone should be able to press a lot and rotate kids in and out. They have lots of quick guards.

 

IMO, this will be an area of concern with Boone. I would venture to say that this team will struggle to find anyone who can knock down 3's at a 40% clip or better. Also, I would be stunned if McControl (McQuery) will unleash any of his talent. I think this is why you see certain players on Boone's team "push back" against his system, and this causes moral issues like they experienced last season. Just my two cents worth.

IMO, this will be an area of concern with Boone. I would venture to say that this team will struggle to find anyone who can knock down 3's at a 40% clip or better. Also, I would be stunned if McControl (McQuery) will unleash any of his talent. I think this is why you see certain players on Boone's team "push back" against his system, and this causes moral issues like they experienced last season. Just my two cents worth.

 

It's possible, but if every shot is criticized and held under a microscope by the coaches, the shooters won't have/gain the confidence they need, and they will be hesitant. Thamann can catch fire sometimes, but he won't see a lot of PT because of his defense/ball handling/size. He is streaky. Popp is capable. He has shot about that from outside his sophomore season. 40% is pretty darned good. I don't think too many high school kids shoot that for an entire season.

 

I believe the half court game is not condusive to their personnel. I know there have been a least a couple of players unhappy and some seniors not return each of the last few years for one reason or another, but I don't know the reasons. I've also heard parents grumble, but this might be true of a lot of teams. I don't think there were any issues at all between the players. As far as I could tell, they all got along well. I'd like to see Boone open it up this year.

I won't say anything, because I never said Sorrell would get pt or put up numbers at NKU. I think he will do fine, but I never said so.

 

I also never said Sorrell is a much better player than Romes, until now. He just is. Your affection for Romes is admirable, but there's a reason me, NKU, and apprantely the vast majority of posters on here all think Romes is where he should be.

 

Perception is reality and I'm not going to try to change what you perceive to be true. You entered this thread with your mind made up, so it's futile.

 

I will say though that most people have no idea how good you have to be to play at a place like NKU, and how big a difference there is between D-II and D-III. Then there's another world of difference between most D-I schools and D-II. Most people will just never understand that, because they don't get a chance to see it.

 

Sandman has always been bias against Beechwood basketball so this comes as no suprise. Not to mention he has always been a strong supporter of Sorrell. While I think Sorrell is a very good player and think that he is one of the better players in the last few years, Romes was a far better high school player and could play at NKU. Romes was recruited by Wright State and I believe got offered to walk on at Morehead but turned those down to stay close to home. I don't think people know how good Romes really is, but Romes is a very very good basketball player and to say Sorrell is better is just false.

I believe that Gabbard will be the xfactor of this region. Holmes will have a tough time guarding him IMO, Boone vs Holmes will be a very good game and I can't wait for it. Anyone else ready for the games to get started?

I'd bump Pangallo down some and put Stauffer in there about 8. I see Pangallo as a top 15 player but not top 10. Interesting that O'Conner has a D2 offer and isn't on the list.

 

There are also other players who are getting a lot of college interest who aren't listed.

 

I agree about Stauffer. I could see O'Conner listed in the top 15 or 20, but I dont know about 10. He is a good player though. Stauffer is probably top 5 overall players in his grade in NKY. If Kellen Smith made the list, I think Stauffer should have as well. Both really good players.

I believe that Gabbard will be the xfactor of this region. Holmes will have a tough time guarding him IMO, Boone vs Holmes will be a very good game and I can't wait for it. Anyone else ready for the games to get started?

 

How will they have a tough time guarding him when they have Rico and JJ? Not only that but when Gabbard is driving to the whole there is Elijah waiting down in the lane. Also, don't forget about Avery and Arnold-Rice who both have good size.

 

Holmes is stacked. They will run the table in the 9th. Team's just won't be able to keep up with their athleticism.

Sandman has always been bias against Beechwood basketball so this comes as no suprise. Not to mention he has always been a strong supporter of Sorrell. While I think Sorrell is a very good player and think that he is one of the better players in the last few years, Romes was a far better high school player and could play at NKU. Romes was recruited by Wright State and I believe got offered to walk on at Morehead but turned those down to stay close to home. I don't think people know how good Romes really is, but Romes is a very very good basketball player and to say Sorrell is better is just false.

 

Thank you! Looks like I'm not the only one Sandman. I really think you need to drive across the river and see his game for yourself! Also, he was definitely a better all around player than Sorrell in high school. I think you just might be surprised how good Romes has become.

 

Sandman won't budge as he is very partial to Sorrell....:sssh:

Did Holmes run the table last year in the 9th? If so, what's their win streak?

Did Holmes run the table last year in the 9th? If so, what's their win streak?

 

They may have lost to Newcath or someone else however whether their win streak is 2 or 50 it doesn't matter because they got that state title to back it up. In the end that's all that matters. I would have to say they are very likely to run the table in 9th after being state champions last year and losing maybe 2 key players and returning alot. Even if they don't run the table in the 9th they are still one of the favorites to win state again.

Did Holmes run the table last year in the 9th? If so, what's their win streak?

 

Boone got em @ Boone.

 

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, got em again in the Region finals, but A. Brown missed the layup of his life.

Sandman has always been bias against Beechwood basketball so this comes as no suprise. Not to mention he has always been a strong supporter of Sorrell. While I think Sorrell is a very good player and think that he is one of the better players in the last few years, Romes was a far better high school player and could play at NKU. Romes was recruited by Wright State and I believe got offered to walk on at Morehead but turned those down to stay close to home. I don't think people know how good Romes really is, but Romes is a very very good basketball player and to say Sorrell is better is just false.

 

I really wish we could get these two in a one on one game. Sorrell is the better talent. I really thought Romes was completely out matched against Holmes last year in the District Tournament at HC. Holmes put their stopper on him, and he could not answer. I was courtside. No need to get upset, it's just an opinion like everyone else's.

Sandman has always been bias against Beechwood basketball so this comes as no suprise. Not to mention he has always been a strong supporter of Sorrell. While I think Sorrell is a very good player and think that he is one of the better players in the last few years, Romes was a far better high school player and could play at NKU. Romes was recruited by Wright State and I believe got offered to walk on at Morehead but turned those down to stay close to home. I don't think people know how good Romes really is, but Romes is a very very good basketball player and to say Sorrell is better is just false.

 

As for the first bolded, what? Really? So we just make things up for kicks now? Better show some proof.

 

As for the second, really. Those extra 40 minutes north from the Mount to Wright St. for the chance to play Division I were just too far away huh? Was a scholarship involved, or was this a walk on "offer" too.

Thank you! Looks like I'm not the only one Sandman. I really think you need to drive across the river and see his game for yourself! Also, he was definitely a better all around player than Sorrell in high school. I think you just might be surprised how good Romes has become.

 

Sandman won't budge as he is very partial to Sorrell....:sssh:

 

Again, really. Now your perceiving what you think is true, about me.:eek:

 

Frankly, at this point I'm bored. You bring nothing to the argument other than what you think you know. You brought Sorrell into the discussion, not me. I have no idea why?

 

This is a high school thread, and you've pretty much worn this one out.

You can add in that not only are we talking D2 v D3 we're talking about one of the premier conferences in the country in D2.

 

:thumb:

 

Indeed. I thought it was inferred in my post, but it's best spelled out exactly. The GLVC is absolutely at the top of the D-II conferences in all sports, mens and womens basketball certainly lead that list of sports.

 

I really enjoy it everytime I watch them play.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.