Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region Preseason Coaches Poll

Featured Replies

The same goes for Pelle. He would definitely be starting at NKU. Who is better then him there right now? Bibbons not a chance. Rack not a chance.

 

I have not watched Pelle much. Is he a 1 or a 2?

  • Replies 405
  • Views 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Clyde let's not forget that Romes has an excellent outside shot just chooses not to shoot many three's. In High School he had to play more down low as he continues to do at MSJ.

 

He didn't play "down low" in high school. He got out on breaks or he caught it on the wing and was a mismatch for many trying to guard him as he went baseline.

He didn't play "down low" in high school. He got out on breaks or he caught it on the wing and was a mismatch for many trying to guard him as he went baseline.

 

First off I know how Romes plays because I have watched him play since he was little. Second, yes he did get points that way but I'm referring to the fact in High School he didn't take many threes. He look more to drive to the basket and he often got the ball in the post or wing where he made moves to score.

If he was in a system other than beechwood (Possibly if he stayed at CCH) he might have used his three ball and jumper alot more.

 

The difference with Sorrell is that he relied much more on the three than Romes did. I guarantee if you look at both of their shot attempts Sorrell's threes to Romes' was probably 5 or 6 to 1.

I have not watched Pelle much. Is he a 1 or a 2?

 

As the above thread states he had 169 assists last season. Pelle can play either he one or two.

 

Pelle is a flat out player as he really excelled in AAU with Shining Star Sports. I can recall a few games where he actually went up a dunked on players. NKU really missed out because he is better than any guard NKU can supply unless they recently got a D1 guard transfer who is a flat out stud.

First off, don't embarrass yourself with the "sour grapes" comment. I think Romes made a great move and I fully supported it despite it hurting CCH.

 

I'm not saying he could not play at NKU. I AM saying that he would not play much though.

 

NKU has 5 D1 players. They had 2 transfers last year and picked up 3 this year. One from Iowa. One from BG. Can't remember the third.

 

Trust me. Michael isn't playing in front of these guys.

 

Lastly, Sorrell and Romes are two COMPLETELY different players which, again, makes your claims invalid. Sorrell can fill it up from the outside and doesn't need much time or space to get his shot off. If you ever watch NKU (and its obvious you do not) then you would notice that they love to penetrate and kick it out. Sorrell fits that system perfectly.

 

Unfortunately, by having to do this comparison it sounds like I'm dissing Romes. I'm not. He was a great NKY high school player and has proven he can play at the D3 level.

 

Just because they are different players doesn't make my claims invalid. Plus if Romes ended up at a school like NKU we would definitely be seeing him shoot outside more as he would be playing a 3 spot.

 

And actually I have watched NKU for several years so don't embarrass yourself by making false claims. Remember this is my opinion and yours and just because you might think your right doesn't make you actually right. It's all opinionated.

 

Sorell might fit the system in the sense he can stand and wait to get his shot up after someone penetrates. But why couldn't Romes be the one penetrating? Also, Romes can shoot the three as I have said he just chooses not to as much as Corey does. He benefits more at MSJ by taking close high percentage shots as we saw with him leading the nation in field goal percentage or being very close too.

 

Why wouldn't NKU want to have a kid who can get to the rack and score. I'm pretty sure that they didn't not recruit Romes because they came to the conclusion, "Oh he doesn't fit our system."

 

And as for your last comment I think he proved he could play at the D3 level along time ago. We are seeing more then just an average D3 player here.

Regardless of the Romes aspect. NKU has flat out missed on some real local talent and that's a fact. It would have been nice too see players like Romes, Pelle, Nestheide and I'm sure there are many more excel there.

I have no skin in this game, but know BB talent when I see it. I must disagree with you on the Romes vs. Sorrell comparison. They are both fine players, but Sorrell is where he belongs and Romes is where he belongs. You can use the HC pipeline as the reason, but I saw both play many times, and Sorrell is the better player. He is at NKU because he can play not because he went to HC.

 

Also, to say Sorrell is where he belongs is a bit ahead of the game. He had to redshirt last year and he has yet to actually play there. As for Romes he has been a proven player in D3.

 

I wish Corey the best but that just isn't accurate quite yet.

Also, to say Sorrell is where he belongs is a bit ahead of the game. He had to redshirt last year and he has yet to actually play there. As for Romes he has been a proven player in D3.

 

I wish Corey the best but that just isn't accurate quite yet.

 

You say he had to redshirt last year as if that diminishes his talent level. I believe a redshirt decision has more to do with NKU being abundant at his position rather than saying his skills are not there. One redshirt situation comes to mind that makes my point. I believe Jeff Sheppard redshirted at UK because he was not going to see the amount of PT that he warranted. It obviously had nothing to do with his talent, and everything to do with making the team better for the future. Don't misunderstand my comments here. I really like Romes's game, but I just feel that Sorrell is a more complete BB player.

You say he had to redshirt last year as if that diminishes his talent level. I believe a redshirt decision has more to do with NKU being abundant at his position rather than saying his skills are not there. One redshirt situation comes to mind that makes my point. I believe Jeff Sheppard redshirted at UK because he was not going to see the amount of PT that he warranted. It obviously had nothing to do with his talent, and everything to do with making the team better for the future. Don't misunderstand my comments here. I really like Romes's game, but I just feel that Sorrell is a more complete BB player.

 

I think you misread what I was meaning to say. I meant that he red shirted last year therefore he has yet to actually play for NKU. So to say he is where he belongs isn't quite true just yet. He still has to prove himself to get playing time.

I'm sorry Sandman I have to disagree here. Romes is completely capable of contributing and being a key factor on a team like NKU. If you didn't know he led all of D3 in field goal % his sophomore or jr year. The kid progressively got better and better as he entered college. That's another thing successful college coaches do is recruit potential.

 

If Corey Sorrell can play at NKU there is no reason why Romes can't! Sorrell might overall be a better outside shooter but there is no comparison between the two when getting to the rack and scoring. Romes is a solid all around player and I think NKU really missed out on him.

 

If you haven't seen Romes play in awhile you need to take a trip across the river and maybe you'll edit your post!

 

Why would I edit my post? Were there spelling errors, sentence structure problems, or something? :D

 

I'm not going to debate Sorrell vs. Romes with you, it's futile. And I don't want to disperage what Romes has done, but NKU is on another planet. Romes did what he did playing the Mount's D-III schedule. That doesn't translate well to success in the GLVC.

Edited by Sandman

Why would I edit my post? Were there spelling errors, sentence structure problems, or something? :D

 

I'm not going to debate Sorrell vs. Romes with you, it's futile. And I don't want to disperage what Romes has done, but NKU is on another planet. Romes did what he did playing the Mount's D-III schedule. That doesn't translate well to success in the GLVC.

 

Ha the humor! And if Sorrell doesn't get pt and put up numbers then what are you going to say.

 

Whether you want to believe it or not imo Romes can compete on that level and to say sorrell is a much better basketball player isn't true.

 

But in the whole scheme of things on my initial point NKU missed out on some really good local talent!

You guys should start another thread on that debate. I'd like to hear more about the current 9th Region if anyone has good insight.

You guys should start another thread on that debate. I'd like to hear more about the current 9th Region if anyone has good insight.

 

Holmes will win the 9th region. Very insightful.:lol:

Romes and Pelle are both outstanding players. They both get to the basket very well. But let's face it so does some of the NKU players and they're 6'5" or better. It's tougher getting to the basket in the GLVC. Maybe NKU did miss out, but all things being equal, the bigger player gets the advantage. What's the only difference between a good DII player and DI, 3 or 4 inches. The same going from DIII to DII.

Holmes will win the 9th region. Very insightful.:lol:

 

Dont be so sure of that. The way the Birds have been working out with their 2/1/2 hr practices I'd say they are a team on a mission.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.