Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region Preseason Coaches Poll

Featured Replies

You are correct. I do not think many people realize that there are college programs that have JV teams. But those players on the JV roster are still playing NAIA basketball.

 

And to my earlier posts I should not have used such a broad brush when saying anyone can play in college(NAIA or D3) but should have said that most of the better players in each region.

 

While technically they are playing NAIA my guess is 99% of them never see the floor of a real NAIA game.

  • Replies 405
  • Views 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boone's starters will change mid-season just like they did last year. Just watch.

 

I wouldn't be surprised. They seem to every year.

You are correct. I do not think many people realize that there are college programs that have JV teams. But those players on the JV roster are still playing NAIA basketball.

 

And to my earlier posts I should not have used such a broad brush when saying anyone can play in college(NAIA or D3) but should have said that most of the better players in each region.

 

And how many is most of the better players in each region? Statistics on the NCAA site indicated that only a little over 3% of high school players go on to play college at any level each year. Let's say each high school team has an average of 5 seniors each year. That means only 3 or 4 players out of every 20 high school teams would go on to play in college each year. I'm sure that will be higher in some areas and lower in others.

2.5 hour practices are not effective at any time of the year.

 

I wouldn't consider what you described a 2.5 hour practice, though. It's more of a 45 minute - 1 hour workout session with a 1.5 - 2 hour practice. Now THAT can be effective & is a great way to begin the season.

 

 

Is Stevie Hunt the JV coach?

 

I honestly dont know what they do each incremental minute but I know the boy comes home beat and enjoys it.

 

Steve is varsity assistant. Dan Feldman is the JV coach and TJ Lykins is the new Frosh coach. They are all doing a great job with the kids so far.

Ha the humor! And if Sorrell doesn't get pt and put up numbers then what are you going to say.

 

Whether you want to believe it or not imo Romes can compete on that level and to say sorrell is a much better basketball player isn't true.

 

But in the whole scheme of things on my initial point NKU missed out on some really good local talent!

 

I won't say anything, because I never said Sorrell would get pt or put up numbers at NKU. I think he will do fine, but I never said so.

 

I also never said Sorrell is a much better player than Romes, until now. He just is. Your affection for Romes is admirable, but there's a reason me, NKU, and apprantely the vast majority of posters on here all think Romes is where he should be.

 

Perception is reality and I'm not going to try to change what you perceive to be true. You entered this thread with your mind made up, so it's futile.

 

I will say though that most people have no idea how good you have to be to play at a place like NKU, and how big a difference there is between D-II and D-III. Then there's another world of difference between most D-I schools and D-II. Most people will just never understand that, because they don't get a chance to see it.

I won't say anything, because I never said Sorrell would get pt or put up numbers at NKU. I think he will do fine, but I never said so.

 

I also never said Sorrell is a much better player than Romes, until now. He just is. Your affection for Romes is admirable, but there's a reason me, NKU, and apprantely the vast majority of posters on here all think Romes is where he should be.

 

Perception is reality and I'm not going to try to change what you perceive to be true. You entered this thread with your mind made up, so it's futile.

 

I will say though that most people have no idea how good you have to be to play at a place like NKU, and how big a difference there is between D-II and D-III. Then there's another world of difference between most D-I schools and D-II. Most people will just never understand that, because they don't get a chance to see it.

 

I think to say Romes couldn't play at NKU isn't accurate and I said it's my opinion.

 

As for going up a division yes that certainly is true however that doesn't mean that a D3 player couldn't play D2. Also, I would say there is a bigger jump from D2 to D1 then D3 to D2 imo.

 

Your perception was already made up that Sorrell in your opinion is a better player as well.

I honestly dont know what they do each incremental minute but I know the boy comes home beat and enjoys it.

 

Steve is varsity assistant. Dan Feldman is the JV coach and TJ Lykins is the new Frosh coach. They are all doing a great job with the kids so far.

 

Is he new? :lol:

Is he new? :lol:

 

Oops, Josh Feldman. :sssh: Fingers and brain were not working. :idunno:

your mind made up, so it's futile.

 

I will say though that most people have no idea how good you have to be to play at a place like NKU, and how big a difference there is between D-II and D-III. Then there's another world of difference between most D-I schools and D-II. Most people will just never understand that, because they don't get a chance to see it.

 

You can add in that not only are we talking D2 v D3 we're talking about one of the premier conferences in the country in D2.

You can add in that not only are we talking D2 v D3 we're talking about one of the premier conferences in the country in D2.

 

Most people in NKY do not realize what a top quality basketball program NKU has in both mens and womens and how tough their conference truly is.

Most people in NKY do not realize what a top quality basketball program NKU has in both mens and womens and how tough their conference truly is.

 

You've got that right. What a great deal also, $400 for a season ticket that get's you into the Vault (Bar Area) for free chickens wings or whatever before every game. Trust me, it's a good time and it's great basketball.

I think Lay will start at the fifth spot initially. Brown could as he gets back from football. Brown and Montgomery will both see plenty of time, with Brown probably getting more this year, IMO.

 

I thought the talk was that Montgomery was 'next in line' to replace (I know you can't 'replace' McFarland....). I'm surprised you think Brown will get more playing time than Montgomery.

 

IMO, it seems Montgomery's game is more closely related to what they are losing in McFarland than Brown's game. Thoughts?

 

Montgomery and McFarland are both drivers/slashers with a nice jump shot (I actually believe Montgomery's jump shot and range is better than McFarlands) whereas Brown is strictly a down low player.

 

I would have to give Montgomery the 5th spot over Brown and Lay, but I agree that all three will see plenty of action.

 

It's a long season and I am sure the coach will play with the lineup throughout the early part of the season to see what combinations work best together.:popcorn:

I thought the talk was that Montgomery was 'next in line' to replace (I know you can't 'replace' McFarland....). I'm surprised you think Brown will get more playing time than Montgomery.

 

IMO, it seems Montgomery's game is more closely related to what they are losing in McFarland than Brown's game. Thoughts?

 

Montgomery and McFarland are both drivers/slashers with a nice jump shot (I actually believe Montgomery's jump shot and range is better than McFarlands) whereas Brown is strictly a down low player.

 

I would have to give Montgomery the 5th spot over Brown and Lay, but I agree that all three will see plenty of action.

 

It's a long season and I am sure the coach will play with the lineup throughout the early part of the season to see what combinations work best together.:popcorn:

 

McFarland was the leading rebounder. Brown is a very good rebounder, and he scores inside well because of his strength and girth. I agree that Montgomery has a better outside shot. I think McFarland was the better defender and passer than Montgomery currently is. Brown is down low, but Boone needs rebounding. Earls does not rebound as well (I think he was 3rd or 4th on the team in rebounds last year) and often hangs around outside. He will need to step up his rebounding and inside post play this year, IMO. I think the 8 players that should see the most time are Gabbard, Earls, Popp, Cotton, Brown, Montgomery, Lay, and Schutze, with the first 4 being locks. Different combinations will probably be used at times for different situations, but who knows for sure except the coaches...

Edited by wildcatfan
spelling

McFarland was the leading rebounder. Brown is a very good rebounder, and he scores inside well because of his strength and girth. I agree that Montgomery has a better outside shot. I think McFarland was the better defender and passer than Montgomery currently is. Brown is down low, but Boone needs rebounding. Earls does not rebound as well (I think he was 3rd or 4th on the team in rebounds last year) and often hangs around outside. He will need to step up his rebounding and inside post play this year, IMO. I think the 8 players that should see the most time are Gabbard, Earls, Popp, Cotton, Brown, Montgomery, Lay, and Schutze, with the first 4 being locks. Different combinations will probably be used at times for different situations, but who knows for sure except the coaches...

 

Montgomery is a very good open court player and is extremely athletic. He tends to struggle in half court offensively and defensively just due to lack of upper body strength.

 

If Boone plays that patient half court game they played towards the end of last season I can see Lay and Brown getting a lot more minutes. If they go to a more uptempo style I can see Montgomery getting more time.

 

Style of play can determine minutes as much as ability in some cases.

Montgomery is a very good open court player and is extremely athletic. He tends to struggle in half court offensively and defensively just due to lack of upper body strength.

 

If Boone plays that patient half court game they played towards the end of last season I can see Lay and Brown getting a lot more minutes. If they go to a more uptempo style I can see Montgomery getting more time.

 

Style of play can determine minutes as much as ability in some cases.

 

Good post! I agree :ylsuper:

 

It seems Boone has the horses to run up and down the court. I thought they should have done that more last year when they were deeper and more athletic than most of the teams they played. It looks to be the same type of team again this year.

 

Against Holmes and some of the other more athletic teams, I agree that playing half court games may be the way to go, however, with the athletes/players that Boone has I think it would be some pretty exciting basketball if they were turned loose.

 

Thoughts?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.