Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region Preseason Coaches Poll

Featured Replies

Middle school Ockerman finished in the top 3 teams in the state tournament. RA Jones finished in the top 5. Ockerman won one Boone-Kenton conference championship and finished runner up another year. Boone boys played on the KY Patriots and various Shining Stars teams. Earls, Popp, and Gabbard have been on 4-5 KY state AAU champs with different teams and medaled at nationals a couple of times. I don't believe any of them have played on a losing team. District, conference championships at Boone last year, and regional runner-up to the eventual state champion by virtue of a 3-point loss. Those aren't bad results.

 

Where on earth are you getting your information from???

 

Are you talking about the class of 2010?? I was at the middle school state tournament the year that Highlands won the 8th garde middle school state tournament and Ockerman had Gabbard, Popp, Flannery and others and I don't recall seeing them play in the Quarter Finals that year??? I'll check Bolus's website maybe I'll eat crow.:confused:

And I'll check with RA's A.D. and see about the 5th place finish. Jones is a small middle school compared to other Boone Co. middle schools about 600-650 students.

  • Replies 405
  • Views 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Gabbard played at R A Jones not Ockerman.

Mike Gabbard played at R A Jones not Ockerman.

 

Right oldjams Gabbard played with Cotton at RA. I didn't realize Earls played at Ockerman in 06. Anyhow I'm eating crow from my last post Ockerman was in the semi's of the 2006 MS State Tournament.:deadhorse: Ockerman lost to Sebastian MS from Breathitt Co by double digits whom Highlands defeated in the championship. Kowolonek was named All-Tournament and Zach Lother was named tournament MVP. Alot of good talent at that tournament. Scott Co. was awful good also but its not the same group that they have now.

Where on earth are you getting your information from???

 

Are you talking about the class of 2010?? I was at the middle school state tournament the year that Highlands won the 8th garde middle school state tournament and Ockerman had Gabbard, Popp, Flannery and others and I don't recall seeing them play in the Quarter Finals that year??? I'll check Bolus's website maybe I'll eat crow.:confused:

And I'll check with RA's A.D. and see about the 5th place finish. Jones is a small middle school compared to other Boone Co. middle schools about 600-650 students.

 

They lost in a close game in the semifinals on the other side of the bracket from Highlands. Popp and Flannery were on the all-state team. Grote and Lother from Highlands. Lother was MVP. Believe RA Jones lost in the quarterfinals.

Right oldjams Gabbard played with Cotton at RA. I didn't realize Earls played at Ockerman in 06. Anyhow I'm eating crow from my last post Ockerman was in the semi's of the 2006 MS State Tournament.:deadhorse: Ockerman lost to Sebastian MS from Breathitt Co by double digits whom Highlands defeated in the championship. Kowolonek was named All-Tournament and Zach Lother was named tournament MVP. Alot of good talent at that tournament. Scott Co. was awful good also but its not the same group that they have now.

 

They only lost by a few points. I remember Grote and Lother on the all tournament team but not Kowolonek.

They lost in a close game in the semifinals on the other side of the bracket from Highlands. Popp and Flannery were on the all-state team. Grote and Lother from Highlands. Lother was MVP. Believe RA Jones lost in the quarterfinals.

 

I just want to clear up some misinformation. RA Jones did not go to the KBA state tournament 4 years ago because the school administration would not let them go. They were really disappointed that they couldn't make the trip, because they thought they would really do well down there. They had a 2 point loss to Ockerman a few weeks before the trip, who placed top 4 and Ra Jones actually beat Highlands, who won state that year, in the BCI Middle School State Tournament in Florence. They lost in the BCI tournament to Dorton, I think, who was led by a very good Elijah Justice. I could have the school name wrong, but I remember that was a great game, having Gabbard matched up with Justice.

 

That RA Jones team only had 9 kids on it and only went 6 deep, but they played great together and won 22 games that year. They won a total of 7 games combined the 2 years prior to that. They really came together that year. The only kids still playing from that team are Mikey Gabbard and Ronald Cotton from Boone and Matt Storey from Cooper.

 

So, basically, the Boone 2010 class combined a pretty good RA team and a pretty good Ockerman team into a really good Boone team.

 

The 2011 RA team was the first to go to KBA state tournament. They were the ones knocked out in the quarterfinals to the eventual state champion Wayne County. They played Wayne County closer than any other team in the tournament, so they probably would have gone much farther if they had played them later in the tournament. Travis Montgomery and Jordan Oppenheimer led that team.

Whose doing the voting???:idunno:

 

How could Boone be rated higher than Highlands?:madman:

 

Boone lost Mcfarland their best player Spaulding a very good athlete and who was very under-rated and Brown who was their MVP during the regionals. I just don't see them replacing those three players ESPECIALLY their experience.

 

Highlands lost Nothing- NOTHING from last years squad!!! Did you see what those kids done in AAU this past Spring/Summer?

 

Flynn has worked those boys harder the last 3-4 months than Willie did in 3 years.

 

Not to mention the emergence of 6-6 junior "Jump'in" Jack Stewart. You will be surprised at how much this kid has improved. Scouting services were buzzing about this kid at the 17U AAU Nationals this past summer and how well he was playing against kids a year older.

 

Maybe not a bunch of flashy athletes but this team has something you can't measure on paper and thats teamwork and chemistry.

 

Clearly, a very serious threat to the Bulldogs. Holmes is the only team that is better. Take the Bluebirds in an upset at the 2010 Regional finals.:ylsuper:

 

I'll second the notion that HHS continues to be overlooked. This group has serious depth and history of success that is impressive. Retuning everyone, senior leadership and great team chemistry from this group provides a real intrigue. The x-factor here is the adding Mike Flynn at the helm. Good coach, and this bunch could win 20 plus with no coach! Seriously, I believe HHS is the only serious threat to an exceptional Holmes team.

 

I'll second the notion that HHS continues to be overlooked. This group has serious depth and history of success that is impressive. Retuning everyone, senior leadership and great team chemistry from this group provides a real intrigue. The x-factor here is the adding Mike Flynn at the helm. Good coach, and this bunch could win 20 plus with no coach! Seriously, I believe HHS is the only serious threat to an exceptional Holmes team.

 

HHS is going to be real good this season no doubt about it. There district is going to be very tough this year with NCC ,Newport and Dayton. I believe its a blind draw in there district and its possible they could have to play NCC and Newport to win the district and that could be tougher than people think!

Newport will miss Darnell, but they will be very good. McDaniel, Tucker, Luther and Collins all have good size at their positions. Speaking of this class of seniors, what ever happened to Arkansas Brewer? I can remember a long thread on him about 4 years ago regarding how good he was.

 

 

I like Newports chances this year if they can come together and play as a team. Brewer is not at Newport any more.

HHS is going to be real good this season no doubt about it. There district is going to be very tough this year with NCC ,Newport and Dayton. I believe its a blind draw in there district and its possible they could have to play NCC and Newport to win the district and that could be tougher than people think!

 

Unfortunately everyone in this district cant play Bellevue in the 1st round. It should be interesting to see who gets that opposite bracket draw and if Bellevue or Dayton is in it.

:thumb:

Unfortunately everyone in this district cant play Bellevue in the 1st round. It should be interesting to see who gets that opposite bracket draw and if Bellevue or Dayton is in it.

 

I agree its going to be tuff to win the district but whoever does will be ready to make a run in the region.

Unfortunately everyone in this district cant play Bellevue in the 1st round. It should be interesting to see who gets that opposite bracket draw and if Bellevue or Dayton is in it.

 

That's why it should be seeded. You should earn a good draw.:idunno:

That's why it should be seeded. You should earn a good draw.:idunno:

 

Agree. Every district should have seeding!!

Agree. Every district should have seeding!!

 

I believe each district gets to vote on if they should seed. The small schools vote for a blind draw and the big schools vote to seed. It may be the only chance a small school gets to make it to the next level.

I believe each district gets to vote on if they should seed. The small schools vote for a blind draw and the big schools vote to seed. It may be the only chance a small school gets to make it to the next level.

 

IMO:The KHSAA needs to step in and force districts to seed. This way would likely guarantee that the best teams from each district are in the regional tourny, not ones that aren't good and got lucky in a blind draw.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.