Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region Preseason Coaches Poll

Featured Replies

I really wish we could get these two in a one on one game. Sorrell is the better talent. I really thought Romes was completely out matched against Holmes last year in the District Tournament at HC. Holmes put their stopper on him, and he could not answer. I was courtside. No need to get upset, it's just an opinion like everyone else's.

 

Wrong Romes...I would assume this whole debate was about the older Romes since Brian hasn't even played a game for the Mount yet.

  • Replies 405
  • Views 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, this will be an area of concern with Boone. I would venture to say that this team will struggle to find anyone who can knock down 3's at a 40% clip or better. Also, I would be stunned if McControl (McQuery) will unleash any of his talent. I think this is why you see certain players on Boone's team "push back" against his system, and this causes moral issues like they experienced last season. Just my two cents worth.

 

Agree! :ylsuper:

 

Sometimes the coach needs to adjust to his players and their strengths. I just don't see that happen at Boone this year or in years past.

 

If you've got the horses, let them run and in my opinion, Boone (and Holmes) have more stallions than anyone in the region.

 

It would be nice to see if Popp, Montgomery or any of the other outside shooters for Boone were given the chance to display their outside talents without having to look over their shoulder at the scorers table if they miss an outisde shot.

I really wish we could get these two in a one on one game. Sorrell is the better talent. I really thought Romes was completely out matched against Holmes last year in the District Tournament at HC. Holmes put their stopper on him, and he could not answer. I was courtside. No need to get upset, it's just an opinion like everyone else's.

 

Were talking about Michael Romes. Brian's older brother.

Agree! :ylsuper:

 

Sometimes the coach needs to adjust to his players and their strengths. I just don't see that happen at Boone this year or in years past.

 

If you've got the horses, let them run and in my opinion, Boone (and Holmes) have more stallions than anyone in the region.

 

It would be nice to see if Popp, Montgomery or any of the other outside shooters for Boone were given the chance to display their outside talents without having to look over their shoulder at the scorers table if they miss an outisde shot.

 

There are many other coaches around who fail to do this in my opinion. I would be very surprised if the Boone coach suddenly changed his system. He will stick with the system that has got him all the wins.

There are many other coaches around who fail to do this in my opinion. I would be very surprised if the Boone coach suddenly changed his system. He will stick with the system that has got him all the wins.

 

Is the system what got the wins or the talent? Except the loaded 2004 class at Boone, up until the last few years with the 2009 and 2010 classes coming through, the results don't seem to be as desirable. An argument can be made that they may even do better with some adjustments. Nobody remembers the runners up in the long run. If what they did last year didn't win them a regional championship, I say try something different, IMO. Don't be satisfied with a runner up finish. I know the players aren't. It will be awhile before a class as good overall as this 2010 class comes through Boone again. Wins have followed this class of Boone players throughout their basketball careers, all the way from middle school and AAU ball into high school ball.

Agree! :ylsuper:

 

Sometimes the coach needs to adjust to his players and their strengths. I just don't see that happen at Boone this year or in years past.

 

If you've got the horses, let them run and in my opinion, Boone (and Holmes) have more stallions than anyone in the region.

 

It would be nice to see if Popp, Montgomery or any of the other outside shooters for Boone were given the chance to display their outside talents without having to look over their shoulder at the scorers table if they miss an outisde shot.

:thumb:

How will they have a tough time guarding him when they have Rico and JJ? Not only that but when Gabbard is driving to the whole there is Elijah waiting down in the lane. Also, don't forget about Avery and Arnold-Rice who both have good size.

 

Holmes is stacked. They will run the table in the 9th. Team's just won't be able to keep up with their athleticism.

 

Holmes is the favorite again but will not run the table, IMO. Same thing was said each of the last two years, and it did not happen.

I believe that Gabbard will be the xfactor of this region. Holmes will have a tough time guarding him IMO, Boone vs Holmes will be a very good game and I can't wait for it. Anyone else ready for the games to get started?

 

If Boone playes both Gabbard and Popp on the floor together, those are two very quick/good guard that Holmes has to guard, and it might make things a little easier for Earls, Cotton, etc.

Montgomery is a very good open court player and is extremely athletic. He tends to struggle in half court offensively and defensively just due to lack of upper body strength.

 

If Boone plays that patient half court game they played towards the end of last season I can see Lay and Brown getting a lot more minutes. If they go to a more uptempo style I can see Montgomery getting more time.

 

Style of play can determine minutes as much as ability in some cases.

 

Agreed. Montgomery, Gabbard, Popp, and Cotton all fare better in open court because of their spead, court vision, athleticism, and quickness. Earls is better suited for open court too. He runs the floor well, and his strength/tendency is not post play. Brown and Lay are more suited for half court. Boone also has a couple of other small senior guards who can't create their own shots but can knock down some threes in open court. Overall, I think Boone's players are more suited to open court, vs full court. I thought the same was true last year too. McFarland was best as a slasher. They are not especially big or strong inside.

Agreed. Montgomery, Gabbard, Popp, and Cotton all fare better in open court because of their spead, court vision, athleticism, and quickness. Earls is better suited for open court too. He runs the floor well, and his strength/tendency is not post play. Brown and Lay are more suited for half court. Boone also has a couple of other small senior guards who can't create their own shots but can knock down some threes in open court. Overall, I think Boone's players are more suited to open court, vs full court. I thought the same was true last year too. McFarland was best as a slasher. They are not especially big or strong inside.

 

Montgomery may be better offensively in the open court, but lots of atheltic guys, such as these are. However, Montgomery can play defense in the halfcourt. The kid has long arms and legs, which allows him to get a wide base, and can keep his hands active in the opposers shot pocket. He also has solid recovery skills and the ability to get up and block shots.

 

In regards to halfcourt offense, give Montgomery some time against the varsity squads around the state and to work within his own varsity squad and he'll be fine. The kid can be a difference maker. I think he also has the ability to take over games (he may not need to as a junior with popp/gabbard), but this will help Boone in his senior season.

I think Brown is going to have a very solid season. As stated previously, Earls is not a preferred post player just because of his tendencies to want to pop out. He can shoot the ball at times as well, and likes to. Brown is a pure post player and has that big body and skill to move people around. I could easily see some double/double games in Browns future (10/10). He's tough to guard down there because of strength and size.

He'll come in used to moving people around too, playing TE for that Boone County football offense and moving people out of Quainoo's running lane.

Is the system what got the wins or the talent? Except the loaded 2004 class at Boone, up until the last few years with the 2009 and 2010 classes coming through, the results don't seem to be as desirable. An argument can be made that they may even do better with some adjustments. Nobody remembers the runners up in the long run. If what they did last year didn't win them a regional championship, I say try something different, IMO. Don't be satisfied with a runner up finish. I know the players aren't. It will be awhile before a class as good overall as this 2010 class comes through Boone again. Wins have followed this class of Boone players throughout their basketball careers, all the way from middle school and AAU ball into high school ball.

 

Please tell me what this class has won at the middle school level, AAU and High School? Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't believe they have won a championship at any level. I was talking to a good friend the other day, and we were talking about how this class has actually under achieved and fallen short of expectations. Let's see what they can do this year. I am not sure what the problem is?? Perhaps unrealistic expectations were placed on this group way to early.

Montgomery may be better offensively in the open court, but lots of atheltic guys, such as these are. However, Montgomery can play defense in the halfcourt. The kid has long arms and legs, which allows him to get a wide base, and can keep his hands active in the opposers shot pocket. He also has solid recovery skills and the ability to get up and block shots.

 

In regards to halfcourt offense, give Montgomery some time against the varsity squads around the state and to work within his own varsity squad and he'll be fine. The kid can be a difference maker. I think he also has the ability to take over games (he may not need to as a junior with popp/gabbard), but this will help Boone in his senior season.

 

:thumb:I agree Perfect Practice

 

And he can jump out of the gym!!! With his height he has the ability to see over the defenders with the ball in his hands in the open court or in the half court set. He has made some sweet no look passes to his teammates.

 

If anything, I think he needs to be a bit more selfish and look for his shot more!

Were talking about Michael Romes. Brian's older brother.

 

Well that explains it, duh?? Sorry about that, I guess my posts make better sense now. Thanks for the clarification Legacy.

If Boone playes both Gabbard and Popp on the floor together, those are two very quick/good guard that Holmes has to guard, and it might make things a little easier for Earls, Cotton, etc.

 

Wasn't that the case last year as well? I like both Gabbard and Popp but I think the problem for Boone is that their strength of getting out and running is also the strength of Holmes. However, when Boone has to slow it down the size and length of Holmes guarding Gabbard and Popp hurts Boone. If I'm not mistaken last year in the regional finals Gabbard only scored 2 points.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.