Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region Preseason Coaches Poll

Featured Replies

There are players not on these lists who already have already received offers. It happens in many regions of the state because these types of lists are created by fans, coaches, and family members and are not always accurate, especially the further down the list one goes. They are often based on opinions and perceptions, which are sometimes accurate, and sometimes not. Perceptions once formed are hard to change and are often formed without having seen all of the good players play or having seen each of them play enough and head to head over a period of time. Everybody has opinions, perceptions, and/or biases. Some kids fly under the high school radar and excel in AAU, and vice versa, for a variety of reasons.

 

D3 basketball usually has some of the most talented or best shooters and smartest, most fundamental players, IMO. They just may just not be as athletic or as big as D1 players.

 

It will be interesting to see which kids on and off these lists actually end up with offers to play at the next level, whether they accept them or not. I think that some of the kids mentioned in the top 10 on this thread may not be offered spots to play on college teams, even if they are academically eligible, and other kids who are not on these lists will be offered, because college coaches don't offer spots to players unless they think those players are talented with respect to their peers and/or have the potential to be good college players.

 

Besides R. Johnson and Gabbard, who else on these top 10 lists has received offers to play at the next level so far? I hope as many kids get the chance to play college basketball as possible.

  • Replies 405
  • Views 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was the kid from NCC that got a scholarship to West Virginia State University and I dont even think he started?

 

As far as Newport goes, they will be a very tough out in the District and could spoil NCC or Highlands' run for the 9th Region crown. They have a very talented group coming back led by 6'5 Casey McDaniel. The new kid I heard threw down a sick dunk during a football pep rally a couple weeks ago so he obviously has some athleticism to add to the mix. If Russell can get them playing as a team and disciplined then they should win 20 games.

Who was the kid from NCC that got a scholarship to West Virginia State University and I dont even think he started?

 

As far as Newport goes, they will be a very tough out in the District and could spoil NCC or Highlands' run for the 9th Region crown. They have a very talented group coming back led by 6'5 Casey McDaniel. The new kid I heard threw down a sick dunk during a football pep rally a couple weeks ago so he obviously has some athleticism to add to the mix. If Russell can get them playing as a team and disciplined then they should win 20 games.

 

Thats always the question, I think this team has more discipline then most the others.

Newport should surprise a lot of teams this coming season. From what I'm hearing they have a couple of transfers that will truly add the punch that Coach Russell has been looking for. IMO Newport and Highlands will be the teams leading the way in their district.

Who was the kid from NCC that got a scholarship to West Virginia State University and I dont even think he started?

 

As far as Newport goes, they will be a very tough out in the District and could spoil NCC or Highlands' run for the 9th Region crown. They have a very talented group coming back led by 6'5 Casey McDaniel. The new kid I heard threw down a sick dunk during a football pep rally a couple weeks ago so he obviously has some athleticism to add to the mix. If Russell can get them playing as a team and disciplined then they should win 20 games.

 

Don't remember his name, but I remember him. The college coaches must have seen something the high school coach didn't.

Who was the kid from NCC that got a scholarship to West Virginia State University and I dont even think he started?

 

As far as Newport goes, they will be a very tough out in the District and could spoil NCC or Highlands' run for the 9th Region crown. They have a very talented group coming back led by 6'5 Casey McDaniel. The new kid I heard threw down a sick dunk during a football pep rally a couple weeks ago so he obviously has some athleticism to add to the mix. If Russell can get them playing as a team and disciplined then they should win 20 games.

 

I don't see him on their roster on their web site. I wonder if he red-shirted.

Don't remember his name, but I remember him. The college coaches must have seen something the high school coach didn't.

 

His last name was Gish?

Top Ten Players

1) Ricardo Johnson

2) Elijah Pittman

3) Mitch McLeish

4) Jeremiah Johnson

5) Mikey Gabbard

6) Stephen Kowolonek

7) Andy Earls

8) Grant Pangallo

9) Jake Giesler

10) Casey McDaniel (Which I know will cause you all to be in uproar because I'm not sold on Stauffer)

 

I will give you this, mine is more predictive than anything. On past performance, switch McLeish and JJ. The rest is up for your interpretation.

 

 

Also I pose this question: if you grade each district top to bottom I'd say you have hard time not going:

1) 33rd

2) 35th/36th

4) 34th

This is not that different from last year but is a huge difference historically as the 35th has usually been well ahead of everyone else. With the 33rd having 3 of the probably the best 6 teams in the 9th, who gets out?

His last name was Gish?

 

Brian Gish - G - great defender, smart kid, ball handling skills improved immensely over his career but thats what hurt him at the HS level

Top Ten Players

1) Ricardo Johnson

2) Elijah Pittman

3) Mitch McLeish

4) Jeremiah Johnson

5) Mikey Gabbard

6) Stephen Kowolonek

7) Andy Earls

8) Grant Pangallo

9) Jake Giesler

10) Casey McDaniel (Which I know will cause you all to be in uproar because I'm not sold on Stauffer)

 

I will give you this, mine is more predictive than anything. On past performance, switch McLeish and JJ. The rest is up for your interpretation.

 

 

Also I pose this question: if you grade each district top to bottom I'd say you have hard time not going:

1) 33rd

2) 35th/36th

4) 34th

This is not that different from last year but is a huge difference historically as the 35th has usually been well ahead of everyone else. With the 33rd having 3 of the probably the best 6 teams in the 9th, who gets out?

 

I personally wouldn't put McLeish higher than 6. He is a good defender, but Gabbard is a better ball handler and passer and shoots/scores just as well. Kowolonek is a better rebounder and scorer.

 

McDaniel is not quite athletic enough to be in top 10 IMO. Not a great rebounder/jumper, defender, or ball handler. Nice shooter, however. Perhaps put Avery, Popp, or Cotton in top 10 instead.

Top Ten Players

1) Ricardo Johnson

2) Elijah Pittman

3) Mitch McLeish

4) Jeremiah Johnson

5) Mikey Gabbard

6) Stephen Kowolonek

7) Andy Earls

8) Grant Pangallo

9) Jake Giesler

10) Casey McDaniel (Which I know will cause you all to be in uproar because I'm not sold on Stauffer)

 

I will give you this, mine is more predictive than anything. On past performance, switch McLeish and JJ. The rest is up for your interpretation.

 

 

Also I pose this question: if you grade each district top to bottom I'd say you have hard time not going:

1) 33rd

2) 35th/36th

4) 34th

This is not that different from last year but is a huge difference historically as the 35th has usually been well ahead of everyone else. With the 33rd having 3 of the probably the best 6 teams in the 9th, who gets out?

 

I like that you have Mcdaniel actually, good player. I would say that Stuaffer isn't a top 10 player, but McLeish is way to high, move him to six or seven and drop everyone in front and I'd say this might be the best list I've seen. I agree that the 33rd will be very good and I would say that we could see an upset or two in the districts that would raise some eye brows.

I love Casey Mac getting some props here but wouldn't quite crack my top ten, ( did he grow 2" since I saw him last week ?!!) Also, Meech in the top ten.... when he was at Conner he didn't get a sniff at top ten mention! Meech is a fine player and will benefit from being surrounded by talent but not preseason top ten IMO. I've seen a lot of debate on the top ten....who are the sleepers ....maybe that's for another thread.

I love Casey Mac getting some props here but wouldn't quite crack my top ten, ( did he grow 2" since I saw him last week ?!!) Also, Meech in the top ten.... when he was at Conner he didn't get a sniff at top ten mention! Meech is a fine player and will benefit from being surrounded by talent but not preseason top ten IMO. I've seen a lot of debate on the top ten....who are the sleepers ....maybe that's for another thread.

 

I'd say sleepers are Avery, Cotton, Popp, McDaniels, Coleman, Nichols (if he plays), Bryan, Grote, Watson. Any of these boys (who aren't getting as much hype) are all very capable of playing with most players who have been listed top 10 here.

I heard at least two of the three have/are being recruited by D2 schools. The odds of high school players playing college basketball are 1 in 35 (3%). That's some pretty elite company. I would be very surprised if all players being ranked in by people in this thread end up playing college ball.

 

Two of the three? I'm assuming your referring to Gabbard and ?

There are players not on these lists who already have already received offers. It happens in many regions of the state because these types of lists are created by fans, coaches, and family members and are not always accurate, especially the further down the list one goes. They are often based on opinions and perceptions, which are sometimes accurate, and sometimes not. Perceptions once formed are hard to change and are often formed without having seen all of the good players play or having seen each of them play enough and head to head over a period of time. Everybody has opinions, perceptions, and/or biases. Some kids fly under the high school radar and excel in AAU, and vice versa, for a variety of reasons.

 

D3 basketball usually has some of the most talented or best shooters and smartest, most fundamental players, IMO. They just may just not be as athletic or as big as D1 players.

 

It will be interesting to see which kids on and off these lists actually end up with offers to play at the next level, whether they accept them or not. I think that some of the kids mentioned in the top 10 on this thread may not be offered spots to play on college teams, even if they are academically eligible, and other kids who are not on these lists will be offered, because college coaches don't offer spots to players unless they think those players are talented with respect to their peers and/or have the potential to be good college players.

 

Besides R. Johnson and Gabbard, who else on these top 10 lists has received offers to play at the next level so far? I hope as many kids get the chance to play college basketball as possible.

 

Gabbard has been offered by whom?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.