9th Region Preseason Coaches Poll

Euton is still good enough to play D1 basketball. Gillespie recruited him to appease KY fans by recruiting home-grown talent.

I know the game of basketball. I am not here to make disparaging remarks about any kids, just give honest opinions regarding their on court talent. The talent Calipari is bringing in is not even in the same planet as what BCG was bringing in. IMHO, if BCG would have stayed 3 more years, UK would have gone below NKU on a talent level. BCG recruited Euton and 8th, 9th graders because it was the path of least resistance, that's all. He was lazy. These were kids he did not have to work for, because no one else wanted them. I had heard so much about Euton several years ago, there was alot of hype around this kid. Well, let me tell you what, I have seen him play many times now, and I know there is better talent at NKU. Holmes High School ran his team out of the gym last year, and he had no answer. Will be interesting to see where he ends up, and what type of career he ends up with.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I remember a Giesler hitting from outside and thinking he seemed like a good shooter from outside. The player probably had at least 10 points in the game. Could this have been his brother?

Correct, the younger Geisler was on the bench, but did not dress for that game.

I know the game of basketball. I am not here to make disparaging remarks about any kids, just give honest opinions regarding their on court talent. The talent Calipari is bringing in is not even in the same planet as what BCG was bringing in. IMHO, if BCG would have stayed 3 more years, UK would have gone below NKU on a talent level. BCG recruited Euton and 8th, 9th graders because it was the path of least resistance, that's all. He was lazy. These were kids he did not have to work for, because no one else wanted them. I had heard so much about Euton several years ago, there was alot of hype around this kid. Well, let me tell you what, I have seen him play many times now, and I know there is better talent at NKU. Holmes High School ran his team out of the gym last year, and he had no answer. Will be interesting to see where he ends up, and what type of career he ends up with.

There might be better talent at NKU right now but some of those kids are transfers from high level D1 programs coming back to play D2 to have an opportunity to play and not have to sit a year as a transfer.

I wouldn't say Holmes ran them out of the gym at BOK last year. While Holmes maintained a lead the whole game Scott Co made a run in the 4th quarter and made it a game.

Here is how crazy recruiting and recruiting rumors can be when it comes to high school players. In Demlings blog this week he talks about junior Robbie Barber from Scott Co making unofficial visits to mid major D1 schools. Schools that are comparable where Euton might end up.

I don't recall Barber playing a lot of significant minutes for Scott Co last season. I don't recall seeing him on the AAU circuit? When you talk about the top 25-30 players in 2011 I don't think anyone includes him in that group and there aren't 30 D1 players in that class???

We are talking about kids on this list not even getting an opportunity to play at the collegiate level who have had outstanding high school careers but Demling is blogging that the 10th or 11th player at Scott Co is taking visits to schools that are comparable to where Euton or Rico Johnson will play.

Not a knock on Demling because I love what he does getting Kentucky kids names out there and he is getting his information from somewhere but this one just seems a little extreme.

[/b]

There might be better talent at NKU right now but some of those kids are transfers from high level D1 programs coming back to play D2 to have an opportunity to play and not have to sit a year as a transfer.

I wouldn't say Holmes ran them out of the gym at BOK last year. While Holmes maintained a lead the whole game Scott Co made a run in the 4th quarter and made it a game.

Here is how crazy recruiting and recruiting rumors can be when it comes to high school players. In Demlings blog this week he talks about junior Robbie Barber from Scott Co making unofficial visits to mid major D1 schools. Schools that are comparable where Euton might end up.

I don't recall Barber playing a lot of significant minutes for Scott Co last season. I don't recall seeing him on the AAU circuit? When you talk about the top 25-30 players in 2011 I don't think anyone includes him in that group and there aren't 30 D1 players in that class???

We are talking about kids on this list not even getting an opportunity to play at the collegiate level who have had outstanding high school careers but Demling is blogging that the 10th or 11th player at Scott Co is taking visits to schools that are comparable to where Euton or Rico Johnson will play.

Not a knock on Demling because I love what he does getting Kentucky kids names out there and he is getting his information from somewhere but this one just seems a little extreme.

I completely agree with you regarding recruiting and hype. I am not familiar with Barber at all. I also like what Demling does, but I think he does stretch things a bit at times. My only point on Euton was that he has been in the "overrated" category for a very long time, and I hope he ends up somewhere where he can play significant minutes, and I thank the good Lord that Calipari arrived to bring UK back to UK standards. IMHO, UK should have always been going hard after top 10, 5 star rated players, and that stopped when Pitino left. Good luck to Euton with his BB future.

I heard he has offers from Akron and EKU.

I really don't see Newport going far this year, but they could surprise us all.

If Newport plays as a team instead of individuals they will be the surprise of the ninth. I see them winning 20 games this year.I hope every team takes them as lightly as you are.

If Newport plays as a team instead of individuals they will be the surprise of the ninth. I see them winning 20 games this year.I hope every team takes them as lightly as you are.

I saw Newport play a few times this summer and teams better not sleep on them. They have some serious talent. I agree with your statement. They must play smart and play as a team.

I would think that all of the other players on Clyde's list will end up playing college ball as well. IMHO, I believe Earls will find it tough sledding this year with the loss of McFarland. Would be surprised if any of the players you listed will play DII or above (possibly Gabbard).

Really? That is a lot of college basketball players from the ninth region, how many play college ball in the past 5 years? They're might be less out there than on that list.

I saw Newport play a few times this summer and teams better not sleep on them. They have some serious talent. I agree with your statement. They must play smart and play as a team.

The new player, Foster, will be a factor. I saw him several times this summer at SOAS. IF Upshaw can play, they will suprise many people this year.

Really? That is a lot of college basketball players from the ninth region, how many play college ball in the past 5 years? They're might be less out there than on that list.

Let me rephrase. I think the guys on Clyde's list "could" play college ball. I know all won't due to lots of issues, but I think they have the talent. It might be Mt. St. Joe or Thomas More or some very small NAIA schools, but I think the talent pool is there. I didn't mean they would all play DI or DII.

I thought the same thing, especially when others talk about kids not on that list, playing college ball as well. Compile a new list of all the kids who people think will play. Make it a sticky and see how many actually play. My guess is there will be a lot less who actually play.

Let me rephrase. I think the guys on Clyde's list "could" play college ball. I know all won't due to lots of issues, but I think they have the talent. It might be Mt. St. Joe or Thomas More or some very small NAIA schools, but I think the talent pool is there. I didn't mean they would all play DI or DII.

Even D3 basketball is very good, I don't think people realize how good of a basketball player you have to be. Mike Romes is a very good basketball player and he plays for Mt. St. Joe.

Even D3 basketball is very good, I don't think people realize how good of a basketball player you have to be. Mike Romes is a very good basketball player and he plays for Mt. St. Joe.

I totally agree. That is why I think the list of players who actually get to play is much smaller than any list discussed on here.