Andre Smith

SSC

We were talking about this in the Palmer thread, but I'll start a new one. Anyone blaming Andre Smith at all need to check this out:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/08/18/bengals-smith-way-way-apart/

According to those familiar with the negotiations, the Bengals last offer to Smith was five years at the base at $28 million and a maximum of $33 million. That’s lower than what the Jets’ Vernon Gholston received last year as the sixth pick (base of $32.5 million) and way lower than what Oakland’s Darrius Heyward-Bey received as this year’s seventh pick (base of $38.25 million).

I hate the Brown family so much. I wish I could just start cheering for another team, but my love will never die. Are they capable of ever overcoming his idiotness?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope the NFL can get the rookie salaries under control. In the current system I don't blame Smith but these holdouts are rediculous. I know that the average NFL career is 3 years and I'm sure the K's and P's are responsible for it being that high but there have been more than a few dinosaurs at the Tackle position, they seem to be able to have long careers if they can avoid serious injury.

I really hope the NFL can get the rookie salaries under control. In the current system I don't blame Smith but these holdouts are rediculous. I know that the average NFL career is 3 years and I'm sure the K's and P's are responsible for it being that high but there have been more than a few dinosaurs at the Tackle position, they seem to be able to have long careers if they can avoid serious injury.

I agree that the rookie salaries need to be addressed, but it's not happening this year. The Bengals will have to eventually cave and sign him for more than they are offering. Probably a lot more. They are wasting a year of the contract b/c Smith will be useless if he's not there by the next practice if he's not already useless. This is a dumb move by a family that seems to be worried only about profiting as much money as possible. Don't insult people by acting like it's Smith's fault though if that's how you are running your business.

Hard to blame Smith in this case.

Hard to respect the Bengals after listening to Katie Brown whining about him not taking their offer.

I agree. That was pretty sickening, and actually she seems so "unprofessional". JMO

SSC,

I also think you got the impression I was defending Cincy when I said, "you could see this coming a mile away." Trust me, I will never defend the Bengals and their incompetent front office. The point I was trying to hammer across is that given where Smith was drafted (#6 and not the first tackle taken, which does make a difference and works against him with Heyward-Bey as the #1 receiver taken), his legitimately questionable work ethic, and the ineptitude of the Bengals, "you could see this coming a mile away" and I would still be nervous about Smith's performance.

SSC,

I also think you got the impression I was defending Cincy when I said, "you could see this coming a mile away." Trust me, I will never defend the Bengals and their incompetent front office. The point I was trying to hammer across is that given where Smith was drafted (#6 and not the first tackle taken, which does make a difference and works against him with Heyward-Bey as the #1 receiver taken), his legitimately questionable work ethic, and the ineptitude of the Bengals, "you could see this coming a mile away" and I would still be nervous about Smith's performance.

I got you now. I just don't lay any blame on him or his agent whatsoever. 4 of the last 9 years the Bengals have been one of the last few teams to sign their 1st round pick. They still end up paying them a lot of money and w/ the exception of Justin Smith they are useless as rookies. It makes no sense to continually be terrible and not sign players. They drafted a guy to protect their franchise QB. They don't sign him and the QB gets hurt in the 1st quarter of the 1st preseason game. At some point don't you just pay him his slot so you're not paying him 5 years when he will only play 4? It's just so dumb.

Part of the reason why the Bengals are the Bengals. Poor way to do buisness. I don't blame him....Crabtree on the other hand is a joke.

They always do this. I don't have the hear the details...I know it's the Bengals fault.