Bank of Kentucky & the 9th and 10th Region - No Radio/Internet Broadcasting

Announcers make it fun to follow Norse

John Erardi • Up in the Bit column • February 19, 2009

Can't get radio? Listen on Internet

You're on the air, Denny Wright and Mike Tussey.

And you're all I got.

You're the only way I have of following the 11-game winning streak of the Northern Kentucky University men's basketball team when the show goes on the road Saturday.

The only way, that is, unless I drive 3½ hours to Rensselaer, Ind., to watch the Norse try to win a 12th straight, which I'm not going to do.

I would listen to Wright and Tussey call the game from St. Joseph's College on WIOK-FM (107.5), a gospel music station in Falmouth, but I can't get the signal where I live.

So, I'll do what I did three weeks ago when I wanted to hear live whether the Norse would win a sixth straight game. I went to NKU's basketball Web site and clicked on "Listen Live."

There are no banners at The Bank of Kentucky Center promoting where to find the Norse games on radio, nothing in the basketball media guides saying who the announcers are, nothing on the school's Web site introducing them to potential listeners.

I tried to find out who they were while I listened to them call the men's and women's games at Lewis University in Chicago three weeks ago, but my Google search turned up nothing. A week later, I was back at BOKC, so I stuck out my hand, and asked:

"So, who are you guys?"

Turns out the 62-year-old Wright cut his radio teeth as a college student calling University of Cincinnati football and basketball games for a campus radio station ("WFIB, Big 8, 800 on the dial") which could be heard only in Clifton.

"They sold time, sponsored programs, did easy-listening during the day and rock at night, even did baseball games," says Wright, who also does Florence Freedom baseball games.

Wright started broadcasting NKU games in 1986. After a brief time off air - when he kept the scorebook for the women's team and did public address announcing at Regents Hall - he was back on air for the 1996-97 season, the second straight national runner-up season for the men. He has broadcast every tournament game that coach Nancy Winstel's team has been to.

And who's Tussey?

The 70-year-old cut his teeth at WIRO in Ironton, Ohio, WCMI in his hometown of Ashland, and WTCR in Huntington, W.Va., in the wide-open days of storefront radio and wacky two-man teams.

He's also been an Ashland police officer and assistant chief of the NKU police force. When you've been on the receiving end of 17 bites from a Doberman Pinscher, as Tussey once was, you aren't intimidated by anything a coach might dish out in a post-game interview.

Early in his radio days, he played basketball against Pete Rose in two "Reds vs. the Media" charity games, watching the flat-topped 24-year-old river rat from Sedamsville do a reverse jam en route to a 52-point night.

A few years later, Tussey - whose on-air radio names included "Mike Todd" and "Mike Holiday" - was introduced backstage at the Grand Ole Opry to future country music Hall of Famer Grandpa Jones, the old-time banjo player who later starred on CBS-TV's "Hee Haw" show.

"Todd ...Todd, where have I heard that name?" asked Grandpa, who then recalled where - in a magazine, which described how a program director named Mike Todd had transformed WTCR into a modern-country music format, doubling sales.

"I'm not shaking your hand," snapped Grandpa, now understanding who stood in front of him, hand extended. "It's (expletive-deleteds) like you who are killing good country music."

Whoa.

That night, Tussey was scheduled to be a guest on Nashille's WSM-AM with host Ralph Emery, whose voice carried clean and clear as a train whistle back home in Ashland-Huntington. Tussey mentioned off-air that Grandpa had called him a bad name.

Emery's eyes lit up. Coming out of the break, he began Tussey's introduction.

"We've got one of (country-music entrepreneur) Connie B. Gay's boys here with us tonight - Mike Todd, from WTCR in Huntington-Ashland. Mike, I asked you how your trip's has been so far to Music City, and I believe you told me that Grandpa Jones called you an expletive, did he not?"

All Tussey had to do was answer, "Yes, that's right, Ralph," and this time Emery jumped in with both feet, figuratively stomping on the nearest and dearest thing to Grandpa's heart.

"Grandpa, I've got only one thing to say to you," Emery intoned. "Maybe you should ask Bill Anderson (reigning CMA Band of the Year) why he doesn't have a five-string banjo in his band."

Back home in Huntington, the locals howled with delight. Good ol' Mike Todd, making news again.

This is Tussey's third season calling NKU games. He'd have been here sooner, but he couldn't take the job in 2000 because he was NKU's assistant chief of police and wasn't able to get away for road games. Now retired, his new gig has provided him with a third life of sorts. He likes the connection he has with the teams and their followers, especially the players' families.

"Brandi Rayburn's grandpa, who lives over in Olive Hill, came up to me (last Saturday) and said he listens on the Internet," says Tussey. "And Casse Mogan's grandpa has said the same. It makes me feel good to have that kind of connection."

Folks have told Wright and Tussey of listening to NKU games in Chile, Singapore and Australia. Saturday, there will be at least one listening in Crescent Springs.

Theoldguy comment;

Can you believe it. A story in the NKy.com today about NKU and having it's games broadcast over the Internet. I thought you couldn't do that at the BOKC at a basketball game. Gee who would have thought the BOKC has a double standard policy....

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Primarily freebies, which means the event organizer/team got the ticket money anyway, but they didn't get my concessions or merchandise money because I stayed at home.

Again, at the end of the day, I'm with Clyde. Vent your wrath at your school's coach, AD or principal that okayed this deal and see if they are willing to forego the guaranteed money and any other money they are entitled to receive in order to allow the folks staying at home to listen (my guess is that a lot of them will tell you to pound sand because the school wants/needs the money and thus they are no different than BOK wanting to make sure they at least cover their costs and maybe even make some money). It again is unrealistic for BOK or the schools not to be looking at the bottom line.

But I've said my piece a few times on this subject so I don't plan on responding any more (although as noted, I said I don't plan on further responses and am reserving the right to pontificate further if the Muses strike me.)

To think that schools are being complained about for runnings things like a business!

Not entirely true. NKU chose SMG as its arena management company through a competitive bid process before construction started on the arena and SMG's contract will eventually be up for renewal (maybe as early as 2 - 4 years). As a result, NKU has a tremendous amount of influence and maybe next time NKU will hire Global Spectrum (the other management company who bid on the NKU arena management contract).

Well I understand that, and you are correct. I was referring to this particular situation.

I am not happy about the decision not to have radio or internet broadcast of the regional games, it is ridiculous. But the message has been heard and the decision has been made. But I hope that people who are able to go to the games don't decide not to go because all you will do is miss out on great basketball and a very nice place to watch it.

And to the post about the double standard about media being at NKU games. I feel that is irrelevant because the attendance to NKU games is absolutely pathetic IMO. The Men have a very good D-II program going and the Women is one of the best in the country at that level, and the community really doesn't support it that well. But the University doesn't really promote well either. So to cite it as a double standard or even an issue is meaningless in comparison to the High School Tourneys.

It is upsetting, it is stupid. But IF you are able, go watch the games.

Edited by panther15z30
sp

I will be at the BOK for a good number of the boys 9th & 10th Region sessions. I am a huge fan of the 9th Region and would watch the tournament no matter where it was held. Truly the only thing good about the games being held at the BOK is for the players to get college floor experience before heading off to Rupp, but other than that I don't see any other good reasons. Everyone is hyped about what a great place the BOK is. It's brand new and looks clean, but other than that it's pretty much just a generic anytown U.S.A. arena that will be charging ridiculous prices for a bottle of water or any of the other overpriced unhealthy choices of high sodium and fat items on their menu. A dog and a pop is gonna cost you 8 or 9 dollars as apposed to maybe 3 bucks at either Holmes, Conner, or Ryle. Try having a conversation with the person sitting next to you during a time out and see if the speakers above your head don't drown out your conversation by trying to sell you something that you don't need. To me the whole corporate experience is annoying, sterile and void of any heart and soul. To each his own, but I think we're a junk food society that's in a trance through constant advertising and can be lead to just about anything that we're told is 'AWESOME' (highly overused word in society especially since quite often it is exaggeratingly misused). I'll take back the old style regional tournament that doesn't stink of corporate bull do-do in a heartbeat. :ohbrother:

Here is why they don't have any radio or internet broadcats is that every school that has one would want to have their guys there. If they allow one they would have to allow all better to not allow any than to fight that battle. I understand it and you should too.

A NON issue! Rupp can accommodate them, other large arenas such as Murray State, WKU and Morehead, EKU never had a problem with the ALL A. The 10th never had trouble at the Fieldhouse, no troubles last year at Montgomery Co.

If this was the reason the BOK would have used it as an excuse, but would be just an excuse, as no one had trouble until the BOK.

To think that schools are being complained about for runnings things like a business!

:thumb: I fully understand why the schools must be heavily concerned about maximizing revenues from their athletic events and am not the least bit complaining about them trying to run "things like a business". I commend them for it. The point I was trying to make is that the people passionately upset about the games not being broadcasted (which does not include me), need to focus their wrath on the schools as the schools accepted the cash in return for not be able to have their games broadcasted. I personally think it was a wise decision by the schools in light of the economic times we are in. I do feel sorry for the folks that won't be able to attend and won't be able to listen to it on the radio/internet however.

A NON issue! Rupp can accommodate them, other large arenas such as Murray State, WKU and Morehead, EKU never had a problem with the ALL A. The 10th never had trouble at the Fieldhouse, no troubles last year at Montgomery Co.

If this was the reason the BOK would have used it as an excuse, but would be just an excuse, as no one had trouble until the BOK.

Once again, get off the dirt roads and venture to civilization and watch some games in person rather than listen to amateur hour trying to broadcast a "HIGH SCHOOL" game. I think some of you just want to find a reason to complain because the games aren't at Mason.

Once again, get off the dirt roads and venture to civilization and watch some games in person rather than listen to amateur hour trying to broadcast a "HIGH SCHOOL" game. I think some of you just want to find a reason to complain because the games aren't at Mason.

WOW!! "Amateur Hour" huh..........Us amateurs do this because of the passion for the game. Guess your not a big fan. No problem. We're not catering to you, but rather the families, friends and fans of these programs that can't make it to the games.

I think I can speak for the others, be it radio, TV or internet and say that we all take pride in what we do and how we present the game. Some people want to see the game in person. That's fine. But for those who can't, we do our best to describe what is happening for their entertainment. I'm not Dale McMillen or Marty Brenneman, but I think we provide an entertaining broadcast as does everyone else who is doing this.

Since you must feel that you can do a better job with it than what we have to offer, let me know when you get your broadcast company up and running and we'll promote it for you. Until then, don't blast those who do this for little or no money just because we like High School Sports.

WOW!! "Amateur Hour" huh..........Us amateurs do this because of the passion for the game. Guess your not a big fan. No problem. We're not catering to you, but rather the families, friends and fans of these programs that can't make it to the games.

I think I can speak for the others, be it radio, TV or internet and say that we all take pride in what we do and how we present the game. Some people want to see the game in person. That's fine. But for those who can't, we do our best to describe what is happening for their entertainment. I'm not Dale McMillen or Marty Brenneman, but I think we provide an entertaining broadcast as does everyone else who is doing this.

Since you must feel that you can do a better job with it than what we have to offer, let me know when you get your broadcast company up and running and we'll promote it for you. Until then, don't blast those who do this for little or no money just because we like High School Sports.

AMEN! I have been HIGH SCHOOL games for a long time and we take pride in our broadcasts. We may not be ESPN but the folks in Carter County and the 16th Region sure are appreciative of what we do and how we do it. By the way, the 16th Region charges $100 for the entire tournament (boys and girls) or $35 per game for broadcast rights fees. We do the every game of both tournaments and have had for over 40 years. I feel for the broadcasters of the 10th Region, I am good friends with Danny Weddle, he is a class act!

Here is why they don't have any radio or internet broadcats is that every school that has one would want to have their guys there. If they allow one they would have to allow all better to not allow any than to fight that battle. I understand it and you should too.

So, am I to understand that the BOKC will have problems accomodating as many as (gasp) eight media representatives at a time? If they fire up their laptops all at once, will the place blow a fuse? Will they have to be crammed into a broom closet?

Incredibly enough, the previous hosts of the 10th Region tournament - Montgomery County and Mason County High Schools - were able to pull this off.